PG Music Home
Posted By: Curmudgeon Question: MXL990s Mic - 08/24/09 06:33 PM
Hi all,

My MXL 990s Mic has two switches. One is for -10db.

The other simply has a dash mark on each side of the switch. I can't notice any effect when switching it nor can I find any documentation to tell me what it is.

Thanks,

Don S.
Posted By: D. Tuna Re: Question: MXL990s Mic - 08/24/09 06:39 PM
From the product page:

-10dB pad and 150Hz low-cut switch

Product Page
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Question: MXL990s Mic - 08/24/09 07:11 PM
Thank You, Tuna.

Don S.
Posted By: Mac Re: Question: MXL990s Mic - 08/24/09 07:32 PM
That "dash mark" is actually the International Symbol for frequency rolloff.

It is a depiction of the frequency curve graph for a Low Cut.

--Mac
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Question: MXL990s Mic - 08/24/09 07:42 PM
Don,

You want to have that hi-pass filter switch engaged almost always, particularly if you are recording vocals with the mic. Put the switch to the right. The graphics mean the following: the straight horizontal line means no filtering is in place. The ramp up and to the right followed by the horizontal line represents the high-pass filter shape the switch employs, with the bend being at the advertised cutoff frequency. Sometimes the mic manufacturer will put the cutoff frequency right on the mic itself. The shape helps to communicate that it's not an absolute 'brick-wall' filter, but gradually decreases amplitudes of lower frequencies as the frequency goes lower.

Using that switch will help to cut down on any rumble that might come through the stand, help cut down on plosive low-end popping from 'p' and 'wh' and 't' sounds and the like. If you record acoustic instruments other than bass viol or kick drum, engaging that switch will help to reduce boominess from those instruments as well. When I record my acoustic guitars with my condenser mic, I engage high pass filtering on the mic (mine is a CAD M-177 with an 80 Hz high pass/low cut switch)

It's also good practice to engage a high-pass filter with a cutoff around 150Hz in any DAW software you might have - right at the front end of the signal chain. All for the same purposes as having the hardware switch available.
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Question: MXL990s Mic - 08/24/09 07:58 PM
Thanks Mac and Scott.

I'm trying to get things set back up. I've had a compound surgery and some resulting infection, for which I'm recovering. However, I may need more. My voice is just now getting stronger, but I'm not sure if it's strong enough. I was wanting to make a rough recording to check it out.

The mic thing isn't a big problem right now. Seems I've forgotten a lot of setup procedures, and I also seem to be having some windows problems.

Other than that, it's a glorious day. Great to be alive, considering the alternative.

Don S.
Posted By: Mac Re: Question: MXL990s Mic - 08/24/09 08:20 PM
Amen to that.

I recently got to know that feeling myself.

--Mac
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Question: MXL990s Mic - 08/24/09 08:38 PM
Quote:

Amen to that.

I recently got to know that feeling myself.

I thought of you a couple times when I was going through the infection bit.

P.S. I took a little break and things fell into place. I should have taken the break sooner.

Don S.
© PG Music Forums