PG Music Home
Posted By: Larry Kehl Korg Legacy collection users - heads up - 12/27/17 01:32 AM
I was wondering around looking at well rooudned "set" of free and inexpensive VSTi's for a freind and remembered that Korg has a sale about now on Korg Legacy Collection and items.

Was (did actaully) going to recommend the M1 (on sale $24.99) at a minimum out of teh set and went to site to get links, info, buy links etc. and noticed the buy link doign the "oops sorry" thing.

long story short

Registrations/downloads will be moving off Korg Use Net. So worth you time now to go set up new account on Korg Id net - unless you never plan to need to reinstall/reauthorize (register) your Korg plugins in.

While there you'll get TWO "upgrade" coupons (one simply lets you re-buy the collection $0 in new store and site with new downloads and registration procedures which you don't need to do unless you later need to reinstall like the M1 or Wavestation or whaever for some reason)

and another coupon to upgrade the "bundle" to also include the new Korg ARP Odessy plugin (for an additional $49)

JUST FYI - but if you do go there PLEASE READ the info on the page and pay attention to how to move and get coupons!

http://www.korguser.net/login.asp?OS=WIN&LAN=1&TOP=1

PLEASE READ THE INFO ON THAT SITE

Larry
Posted By: dcuny Re: Korg Legacy collection users - heads up - 12/27/17 03:25 AM
Thanks for the tip!

I got the M1 VSTi a while ago, mainly for nostalgia. I'm not sure I'll ever use it, but it's a lot of fun to play, and there are tons of sounds on it.

I eventually got the Wavestation as well, but I don't think the sounds are nearly as versatile.

It's too bad that Roland didn't take that route with the D-50.
Roland DID go that route with the D50 and a few of their other synths. Head over to Roland and search for Roland Cloud.

Kevin smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: Korg Legacy collection users - heads up - 12/27/17 03:06 PM
Roland cloud is a subscription model. For $20 USD a month you can use everything on the Roland cloud. Are you saying that Korg's new method is also a subscription based system? If so I'm not upgrading.
NO the KORG IS NOT a subscription - they are SIMPLY moving SITES to register your (if you reinstall) get new versions (updates) and/or new products. And where you go to get a download if you LOSE your copy of the install. Just like current Korg Use NET but in different web location)

no COST !

I did it last night, and am tempted to go back and pluck down the $50 for the ARP Odessy

Larry

EDIT =========================

some info on Roland Cloud:

http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewforum.php?f=63

I knew about it and it might be the best deal ever and I might be missing out on owing a J8 but I don't want to rent sounds for a year to own one synth especially since if Roland "cuts the cord" (think Cakewalk, and Amazon MP3 and... yes, different but same ballpark)
Posted By: MarioD Re: Korg Legacy collection users - heads up - 12/27/17 05:09 PM
Thanx for that Larry. I have my DL codes but became reluctant to use them because of Kevin's post.
Yep

Just download the new zips (most stuff was updated at a minimum to add new authorization scheme), keep that SINGLE code you got in the email (I keep that kind of stuff in about half-a dozen places - shared on all my PCS, in backups, in off site storage ,,...LOL)

There is no compelling reason to reinstall under new system unless you want to, just to get it out of the way or because their claimed stability fixes in most of the newer .dlls (components) M1, Waveststation, etc. I so so called because i've had zero stability issues and I hate fixes to SW that "ain't broke" - grin so....)

MY only concern with new registration system is if it limits "counts" of installs. I have it on TWO PC"s (laptop and desktop but DESKTOP has it installed, in this case, under three OS's (Win XP, 7, and 10) under old registration it just keeps spitting new auth. codes no issues to my name and email, not sure what will happen now.

Yes, I could JUST install on Desktop Win 10 and see if it will also allow at least one more on laptop but that is TBD.

I probably should test before User Net goes bye bye so I can re-install and re-register there with the, now, older versions.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Korg Legacy collection users - heads up - 12/27/17 05:59 PM
The Korg VSTi's are single-time purchase, which are then associated with your workstation. At $50 they are a good price, and on sale at $25 even better.

As Mario said, the Roland VSTi's are subscription-based. That means that you pay an ongoing, monthly fee of $30 a month - $20 is the "special" introductory price. You have access to a variety of soft synths, and new synths are being added all the time. But as soon as you stop paying the subscription, you no longer can use the VSTi.

The subscription model might be a great deal for some people.

Since the D-50 is the only synth that I'm really interested in, a subscription service makes less sense for me. For that kind of money, I could just pay $350 and get the D-05.

Never mind, I haven't got that kind of money handy, either. shocked
Sorry Mario, I didn't mean to imply that the Korg was subscription based. With the Roland subscription after 12 months, I think, one of the synths becomes purchased. You can choose which one.

I already have the Korg analogue and digital collections.

After carefully weighing up the collections I bought the new Arturia V Collection 6. I got a good price for being an previous Arturia customer. This collection is a very good selection of synths in there!

Kevin smile
© PG Music Forums