PG Music Home
Posted By: eddie1261 I hope I don't lay an egg here.... - 01/26/18 10:38 PM
My trusty plastic egg filled with beans broke recently (something heavy was accidentally laid on it and it cracked into pieces) and I found out that L'eggs no longer makes those things to ship panty hose in. Apparently the cost was a factor as well as the environmental concern as a million of those things hitting a landfill would be impactful.

I got around it last week by putting some beans into an empty dog food can to get through one session but I need to address this without spending a bunch of money after $2030 worth of root canal surgery. So tomorrow I go on a mission to visit toy stores and craft stores to try and find 3 plastic eggs of different sizes so I can have shakers of different pitch.

But that brings me to the request. Does anybody have a good sampled loop of a shaker playing 16th notes with an accent on every downbeat? At any speed. I can manipulate to get it to the tempo I need. I have tambourines but the shaker is a little harder to find. Almost everything has other percussion instruments mixed in with it.

Please PM me if you have what I am looking for.

Thanks.
Posted By: MarioD Re: I hope I don't lay an egg here.... - 01/27/18 12:34 AM
I can't help with the samples but if you google/bing empty plastic eggs you will find a lot of them that are very cheap.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: I hope I don't lay an egg here.... - 01/27/18 01:19 AM
Yeah tomorrow I hit the dollar stores and the craft stores and see what I can find. The biggest issue is that they sell them in 10 packs. I need 1. Actually I'd love to find 3 in different sizes for different pitches.
Posted By: MarioD Re: I hope I don't lay an egg here.... - 01/27/18 12:21 PM
As you well know you will get different sounds by using different components. You use beans but you also might want to try, in a different egg of course, things like salt, small pieces of plastic, etc.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: I hope I don't lay an egg here.... - 01/27/18 12:26 PM
https://www.steveweissmusic.com/category/percussion-shakers

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: I hope I don't lay an egg here.... - 01/27/18 12:48 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
As you well know you will get different sounds by using different components. You use beans but you also might want to try, in a different egg of course, things like salt, small pieces of plastic, etc.

Mario beat me to it, but I was going to say that if you can't get different pitches by using different sized eggs, the size of the particles inside might yield a difference in pitch.

Rice should sound higher pitched than beans, which should be higher pitched than gravel.

Or not. I don't have a plastic egg to test this theory. ;-)
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: I hope I don't lay an egg here.... - 01/27/18 01:20 PM
This is going to be the fun part is testing different egg sizes and types of materials. I have a bag of small smooth pea gravel, I have dried veggies, I will try rice, rock salt (For your Southern people, rock salt is a material used to melt ice. Ice is something we have in the north when we have cold weather. Cold up here means single digits, sometimes below zero. Not 47!! Though as weather patterns change you now get ice and snow some too.) and beach sand.

Also for you Southerners, I am happy to announce that this is likely my LAST winter ever, as the plan is to be in the southwest by about October of this year. Writing songs in my mobile studio!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: I hope I don't lay an egg here.... - 01/27/18 03:48 PM
Quote:
For your Southern people, rock salt is a material used to melt ice. Ice is something we have in the north when we have cold weather.

I got the impression that this year, many of the folk down south knew exactly what ice consisted of shocked

Anyway, for under $5 a pair, those LP Rhythmix Egg Shakers mentioned from Bob's link are probably cheaper than the panty hose job.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: I hope I don't lay an egg here.... - 01/27/18 04:25 PM
for the record, S'uthnahs know about rock salt... we use it to:

1) make ice cream and

2) to load shotgun shells for trespassers and boys who want to date our daughters.

;-)
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: I hope I don't lay an egg here.... - 01/27/18 04:37 PM
S'uthnahs who migrated to the south know it better than others!

I ended up going to Sweetwater and they had them 2 for 4 bucks with free shipping so I got them. I am STILL going to experiment with an egg so I can mute one side of the egg with a piece of sponge or foam. For beats other than 16th notes.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: I hope I don't lay an egg here.... - 01/27/18 04:46 PM
Eddie,

Look in the subdirectory: x:\bb\RealTracks\Loops\Percussion Loops where x = your BiaB location.

Here's a web link for shaker loops: +++ Sound.com +++

Here is another web link: +++ FreeSound.Org +++

Happy recording!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: I hope I don't lay an egg here.... - 01/27/18 06:34 PM
Thanks Jim. No idea those were there. About 8 years into this software and I never knew.

Edit: But now that I DO know.... that's like being allowed to carry an extra club in the golf bag!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: I hope I don't lay an egg here.... - 01/27/18 08:29 PM
Yeah you can go in real band. Under generate a loop and type in shakers and a bunch of stuff pops up.
Posted By: Kajun Jeaux Re: I hope I don't lay an egg here.... - 01/27/18 09:14 PM
Just a wild thought here, but I wonder what it would sound like with BBs, either standard or those made of hardened plastic.

Jeaux........
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: I hope I don't lay an egg here.... - 01/27/18 10:01 PM
A (sadly) funny thing is that I am still so myopic with Real Band that after all these years of "generating", until today I have NEVER noticed "generate loops". I don't like virtual instruments so I rarely use MIDI tracks, thus I never generate them and THAT part of the generate menu was invisible to me.

If I can ever figure out how to create vocal harmonies I'll be golden. I see the menu option but I have no idea what that function works against to know what to harmonize to. I assume it has to be a MIDI track. Do I have to play in the vocal line as MIDI events to use it?

No idea! This comes under that heading of "I just don't spend the time on music anymore."
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: I hope I don't lay an egg here.... - 01/27/18 10:05 PM
The one that just broke and caused all this had very smooth, small pea gravel in it. I don't even know what store bought, factory mass produced shaking devices have it them. I always assumed plastic beads of some kind. The one I made form a plastic heart (Valentine Candy) now has lentils in it and sounds okay. But now that I have been made aware of the percussion loops available in Real Band, this pretty much becomes moot.
© PG Music Forums