PG Music Home
Posted By: eddie1261 Jazzmaster needed! - 01/28/18 01:19 PM
Not the guitar, a master jazz player!

I am working on an instrumental jazz piece, as I am trying to stretch my songwriting into other areas. The lead line of the piece is guitar and sax playing a unison line. Those I can handle as it is not complex. However, there is improv space for solos, and that I CAN'T handle. SO I am recruiting for this one. The same would be well served with a David Sanborn/Jay Beckenstein kind of feel. The guitar I am thinking along the lines of Lee Ritenour, Pat Matheny or Chet Catallo kind of player. It'll probably be 16 or possibly 32 bars of each. Maybe even 16 of one, 16 of the other and then a section where they trade phrases. Perhaps Mr Snyder would like to take a run at this?

Anybody here play that style of guitar?

The link is to a Spyro Gyra tune called Philly, and this is Chet Catallo playing the solo at about 1:57 in. This solo is exactly the kind of thing I hear in my head for this yet unwritten song.

Philly by Spyra Gyra

Thanks!
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Jazzmaster needed! - 01/28/18 06:31 PM
Is “Dean Clark” (a pseudonym for Aleck Rand, or vice versa) still active here? He would have been eminently capable of that and glad to do it. However, last I heard, he was having debilitating health issues. Worth checking, though.

Richard
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Jazzmaster needed! - 01/29/18 10:46 PM
Eddie, have you ever taken the Jazz Improvisation class from Berklee, taught by Gary Burton? You can audit the class for free. It messed with my head but also showed me what was possible with formulaic improvisation. I need to take that one again!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Jazzmaster needed! - 01/29/18 11:24 PM
Scott, it's not the brain side that I am lacking. It's the physical skills. My mind's ear knows exactly what I want. My fingers can't play it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Jazzmaster needed! - 01/30/18 01:10 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Scott, it's not the brain side that I am lacking. It's the physical skills. My mind's ear knows exactly what I want. My fingers can't play it.

Eddie I know exactly what you are talking about!
Posted By: Dzjang Re: Jazzmaster needed! - 01/30/18 01:27 PM
Dave Snyder would be so great. But, him being a top rated player, that will set you back a few hundred bucks. If you have the money, contact his agent.

There’s a lot of great amateur players. I consider myself quite a big deal as an amateur guitarist and pianist. smile but there must be tens of them on this Forum. Great solo on that Spiro Gyra song by the way. I play a lot like that, but so do a lot of people.

In exchange for a nice -small- favor you’ll be catching the right person.

Succes
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Jazzmaster needed! - 02/07/18 07:10 PM
Still recruiting a piano player to do a 16 bar solo on this jazz sons. Guitar players have been recruited and have sent me some nice guitar work. I want to get a pianist so I can have guitar, piano, guitar, sax, guitar and then back to the song. Really don't want guitar solos back to back. Who do we have out there who can give me a nice flowing jazz piano solo?
Posted By: rharv Re: Jazzmaster needed! - 02/07/18 09:14 PM
I don't do 'flowing'.
Not on jazz songs .. <grin>

Ok, maybe the right hand, but not the left

Never let the left hand know ...

Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Jazzmaster needed! - 02/07/18 09:16 PM
I can send you the mp3 for a listen and maybe you can take a run at it.
Posted By: rharv Re: Jazzmaster needed! - 02/07/18 11:28 PM
OK, PM me a link
I ain't afraid to fail. Long as I can learn from it.
Sounds like Dzjang light have been interested too...
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Jazzmaster needed! - 02/08/18 12:57 AM
We can't PM you.... full box and you are marked as no longer available.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Jazzmaster needed! - 02/08/18 08:44 AM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
We can't PM you.... full box and you are marked as no longer available.

Jeeez, there's always something, ain't there cry
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Jazzmaster needed! - 02/08/18 11:26 AM
And as it has been since I first came here, it's rharv's fault....
Posted By: rharv Re: Jazzmaster needed! - 02/08/18 09:14 PM
I tidy'd up, maybe I'm available again.
^^ I hope my wife doesn't see that.

1. the available thing
2. I tidy'd up .. don't want her expecting that <grin>
© PG Music Forums