PG Music Home
If you have a 18i20 or 18i8 2nd generation unit, they updated the drivers again to fix a potential crash on exit.

If you have other Focusrite units, it's worth checking your drivers. Lots of updates have been released in the last few months. https://us.focusrite.com/downloads
Thanks for the tip. I'll need to explore that for sure.
Wow, I wonder what's up with those 2nd gen drivers?
Actually very little. The changes have mostly been about USB drivers. There is no difference related to audio.
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Wow, I wonder what's up with those 2nd gen drivers?

I'd be happy if I could keep my Focusrite from changing to 24 bit with no input from me. I want 16 bit 44.1 and it keeps changing. I am between a rock and a hard place because if I set my interface up for Real Band, then use it for Pro Tools, it gets confused. I may have to dedicate a computer to Pro tools and another to Real Band and have a Focusrite for each. It doesn't seem to be smart enough to switch back and forth like my M-Audio did.
@Eddie, will answer via the PM you dropped to me.
Eddie, some piece of equipment or software is making that change. The Focusrite units I have used (4 of them) all hold the bit and sample rates until directed to change.

Or yours is defective.
Well, I don't know if I explained that issue right. If I write something on RB in my downstairs computer, copy it across network tot he upstairs computer, when I open it in RB up there and hit play I am told "this is at 48000 and...." yet the only sound equipment on the downstairs computer is the onboard sound card and that is at 16 bit 44.1 so I have no idea why I see that message upstairs.

Note that the downstairs is Windows 7 64 bit and the upstairs is that awful Windows 10 1709 Creator's Studio or whatever they named it when they shoved that update down my throat. That update also makes that computer look to the world like a new computer, so my iLok no longer works, rendering Pro Tools useless.

I am not going to sweat any of this because within 45 days or so I am buying 2018 and I hope that smooths some of this out.
Yup, Matt. Hey Eddie, something I did not mention in PM. Maybe your Windows driver is set to that 24 bit setting. Since you referenced the Windows update there's a chance M$ blew it up.

1) Right-click on the speaker icon in your Windows tray, lower right of your screen and choose Playback Devices.
2) On the Playback tab, right-click on the Focusrite driver and choose Properties.
3) Click on the Advanced tab and verify you are at 16 bit, 44.1 KHz Stereo. This could be where it's not set right for you.

If this fixes it, then you know the Windows update blew your drivers up.
I checked that Steve. 16 bit, 44.1!!! I DID have to re-enable it after the dreaded 1709 upgrade or it wouldn't work for anything! Not even Judge Judy at 3pm!
Then I'm going to guess that either your RealBand or Pro Tools software is changing the bit and sampling rate on you. You'll need to check the softwares for that. If you've only been hitting RealBand lately, the issue may be there.

1) Open RealBand.
2) Go to Options-->Preferences-->2-Audio Tab.
3) Check Audio File Type in the upper left of the window.

P.S. - You may want to open the RealBand project you are on as well to see if the audio settings may save different per project.

Description: RealBand Audio Drivers
Attached picture Untitled.png
Eddie, do you do video editing?

And BIAB 2018 is not going to have any effect here.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Eddie, do you do video editing?

Not really. Just low level stuff for my youtube channel. And not on that computer. (I have 6.)

Quote:
And BIAB 2018 is not going to have any effect here.

Well, if something is hosed in my installation, that's why the thinking goes that way.

Plus this gives me an excuse to spend money I don't want to spend.
How did your RealBand settings look compared to the screenshot above?
Exact. I get a yello warning message in the top right saying that the work is at 24 bit 48000, and it is not. Created on the downstairs computer set exactly like the screenshot.

Next test is to bring the Focusrite down here and write something on it with it installed on this Windows 7 64 bit computer.

After my nap.
I asked about video editing because that uses 48,000. You said Not Really, instead of No. Fire up video, and it might change the sample rate. Not the bit rate, though, so:

I think it's equally likely the change is coming from running Pro Tools.
Well, I also said I don't do it on that computer. I have 6 computers. All are dedicated to specific things. The music computer does nothing but music. One is my day to day. 2 are music. 1 is web/blog stuff. One is my spreadsheets. The spreadsheet computer sits on my LAN but never hits the WAN.Etc....

The video I edit on that specific computer plays sound through the Windows sound bus, which is at default 16 bit 44.1 like all of them.

The next time I go upstairs, I will load a song and have my phone ready to take a picture of the yellow error box if it pops up. I am going to blame this on this latest Windows build. This didn't happen until that build 1709 removed and replaced my Windows.

When I had all that trouble when moving from RB to Pro Tools I did some tweaking in the Focusrite. However, I was still okay until that Windows build. Since then I have installed driver 4.36. I now need to locate that interface config tool and see if those drivers overwrote the firmware to a point where it reset default settings.

I am SO happy I don't work in IT anymore.... ALL DAY LONG we had to deal with this Agatha Christie mystery crap.
Eddie,

RealBand keeps a log of displayed text messages. You can display the log by going to "Help" > "Show log text of flash messages ..."
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Well, I also said I don't do it on that computer. I have 6 computers.
My apologies, Edie. I did not memorize what you do on each of your computers.
**** New Session started at : 1/31/2018 12:46:23 PM
- Save complete. The files were all saved to: C:\Users\eastside\Desktop\jazz tune Individual Files [1/31/2018 12:43:59 PM]

**** New Session started at : 1/31/2018 12:43:59 PM
- BBW2 init time in ms: 3077 [1/31/2018 12:33:59 PM]
- Initializing accompaniment functions... please wait... [1/31/2018 12:33:56 PM]

**** New Session started at : 1/31/2018 12:33:56 PM
Warning! Your audio device is using a sample rate of 48000 which is different than the current song sample rate of RealBand (44100). This might cause undesirable ringing noise in playback. Click on this message to open the Windows playback control panel.

So following along from bottom to top, when I opened this song I go the popup about the sample rate of the capture device.

And here is where I get annoyed. I did NOTHING to the "capture device" between 1/30/2018 and 1/31/2018, and this is opening the same song I worked on the night before. On the same computer. Shut down about 11 the night before, got up at 10, read email, downloaded the NY Times crossword and worked it, and went back to the song, and got that message. And before anybody says "something must have downloaded", nothing downloaded. My computers are set up for manual updating only. (And as an IT guy, we don't work in "something". If "something" downloaded, we have to know what downloaded.) So I have no idea why doing nothing but saving a music file and closing the program does not come right back where I left off the next day.

Up to mess with the upstairs computer; a 1709 victim.....

Thanks for pointing this out, Jim. Never knew those were saved.
Eddie, are we in agreement that your troubles with your Focusrite settings had nothing to do with the Focusrite drivers?
Likely you are correct. I have not been back up there yet but am heading up later this afternoon. I am going to go through setting in Windows, RB and the interface itself and make sure they all match. I have to stop doing preliminary work downstairs if that's where the issue came from. Those latest drivers allowed me to work on Windows 10 build 1709.
© PG Music Forums