PG Music Home
The backstory for 100 of Detroit City's best songs. A really great read.

+++ Detroit's 100 Greatest Songs +++

(on soapbox) Articles like this is why newspapers can be relevant in today's world. (off soapbox)
Great article Jim

(Despite the fact that somebody obviously liked Bob Seeger), I was impressed with the broad mix and the extremely wide date range.

This demonstrated a good spread.

In my view, quite balanced.
Mary Wells and "My Guy":
Actually, in particular I love the story about how the session muso's collaborated on the spur of the moment to use the baseline from Begin The Beguine with Canadian Sunset to create the intro. I don't think Begin The Beguine is mentioned in the article, but I've read it elsewhere several times.
Not a single Jackson 5 or Michael song in the list.
Interesting.

Motown alone could have a decent top 100 list.
To me it was well worth visiting if you get the chance. Apparently Paul McCartney thought so too. After visiting there he spent a ton of money to get the original piano restored and delivered back to the studio. Couldn't stand the thought of all that history decaying.

Wow .. just checked their website and on top of Paul investing $100k in the piano, Ford gave them $6 million to expand.

Nice! It was getting crowded to visit because it was so small. This could be cool.
Though they really need to include the original building. That really portrays the legacy.
https://www.motownmuseum.org/

Sorry, didn't mean to stray.
There is a lot recording history here in SE Michigan.
It's a good list. Lot of Motown and a lot of Bob Seger ;-) But glad to see some Jack White, MC5 and Iggy rounding it out. I've been living in the greater detroit area for a couple of years and I still haven't been to the motown museum.
Quote:
and I still haven't been to the motown museum

I waited 12 years to do it after returning to the area, and it took a friend from Chicago to suggest we go there before I actually did it.

I'd encourage going soon before the expansion takes hold. I have no idea what will change, but being in the original house and seeing the original rooms in person left an impression on me. Maybe it was affected by personal experience (I grew up here while Motown was in its heyday). But they did an amazing amount of production with what they had.
I'm sure I'll go back after the expansion, but I am glad I went while it was all in the original setting.
© PG Music Forums