PG Music Home
Posted By: Ian Fraser Separation Blues - a new song - rough mix - 09/05/09 10:01 PM
I actually wrote this in 1993 but recently decided to add a backup band and rewrote the final verse.
The words reflect stories heard at a separation/divorce support group with a bit of autobio thrown in.

It's a rough mix - looking for mixing feedback. RT - Acoustic Strum and RDs. Harmonica human. Lead Guitar is BIAB soloist with XG Jazzman guitar patch. Looking to replace Lead with Human and maybe a Human Piano.
http://web.ncf.ca/ifraser/SeparationBlues.html - should play and show lyrics.

Cheers
No audio for me.....
Thanks Poppa. The song was embedded on the page - I'll fix the link. Should have played when you clicked. Try this http://web.ncf.ca/ifraser/SeparationMix2Rough_Aud.mp3

What browser are you using?

Ian
Using Firefox - listening now.... Nice track! At least you got a song out of it. Or did you have to give her half? :-)
Posted By: MarioD Re: Separation Blues - a new song - rough mix - 09/05/09 11:24 PM
Good song, great lyrics. Good blues harp also.

But like you said you need a real guitarist.
Poppa - half of nothing is nothing - Should have played under Firefox - I changed the html page - could try it again - Firefox 2.x or higher? Under 3 will not play embedded audio but I have located a fix on line.

Mario - Amen bro'. Although I like that "sound" - I'm not sure how a real guitarist would do it. Ideas?

Cheers
Posted By: JBlatz Re: Separation Blues - a new song - rough mix - 09/06/09 12:33 AM
A good tune many of us can relate to. By the way, it playing fine using Firefox 3 in Linux.
Mozilla Firefox ver 3.5.2 here - Just tried again - not to worry though.
The only thing I would suggest is a more realistic sounding guitar. The rest sounded fine to me. Thanks for sharing your music!

Listen To My Music
Read My Blog
My Web Page
Reverbnation
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Separation Blues - a new song - rough mix - 09/06/09 03:49 AM
Hi Ian,

Good song! I have nothing to add to what has already been said but I wanted you know that I really enjoyed listening to it.

Noel
Robert and Noel - thanks for checking in - always look forward to your feedback.

Live guitarist definitely in the works. I'd also like to hear from a live pianist.

Noel - have you made any further discoveries re G-SNAP??

Good weekend to all. Ian
IE 7 here, not getting the audio on the original page. Listening to the direct MP3 link you gave. If it's a true story, then it is definitely a blues song! I liked the harmony parts and the harp.

Kevin
Kevin - thanks for the comments and the visit. Can I assume the rest of the mix is OK?

Good to know about IE7 - actually I have a piece of code on the page related to IE7 but it is commented out..
If it's OK by you, I will PM you when its active and maybe you can give it a try?

Cheers
oops -- I didn't really pay attention to the details of the mix very much. I don't know about the PM's here, but I guess I'll see something flashing somewhere. I'll check it out when you think it will work in IE7.

Kevin
Ian,

This is a real Blues tune brother. Great job writing and producing this one.

The only suggestion I have: The instruments/vocals sound bone dry to me. They could use a good drench'n in some reverb, IMO. Fatten up the stage presence etc . . . Ya sang'n the Blues !!!

Mixing- When I start a fresh mix, I set the drum & bass volumes first. Then I try to build everything else around them, level wise. To keep one instrument from drowning out the other ones etc . . . Same for vocals.
To me, the Blues Harp gets louder in the later solos, making it hard to hear the rhythm etc.. It sounds fantastic, but is killing the band in spots, IMO. (I cranked my volume here to make sure it wasn't on my end).

Biab/RB has some awesome Bluesy RT's. I would nix all of the midi parts and replace them with RT's for this song. Add the B3 for the "pad" and the Blues Harp for the fills & solos, IMO. It will take this song to a new level, IMO.

You wrote a great Blues song here. I enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing.

Trax
Ian, I have to agree with Trax - it sounds like bone dry MIDI to me.

I suggest you go for all RTs or a mix of RTs and real instruments. The mix is also a bit narrow in the width and the instruments don't seem to be totally 'in the same room' for me. Good start though!

One last thing, I would bring the tempo up about 20bpm. But then that's me - I prefer my blues a bit more rocky.

Well done and thanks for sharing
Trax - thanks for the mix feedback. I had actually recorded the harmonica on the voice track and had noticed the increased loudness of it. I had thought "maybe I should separate the two" - guess now that I will. About RTs . . .all I have are what came with my 2008.5 upgrade - thinking of moving up and that will include RTs - unsure if I'll get all of them but I'll local for Blues sets along with the country.

Sam & Trax - that's where my hearing gets me in trouble . . . setting the reverb levels - I had been thinking 50s delay on the voice. Sam - I'll try an increase in bpms and see if I "dig it" I would probably use Audigy to speed up the final wave.

Great feedback guys, big help - thanks.
Very nice song. I loved the vocals: that is the Blues, man!
I can agree with Trax's post.

But the song and the vocals are killer! Very good job.
Ian,

I aslo sent ya PM

Trax
Mike - really appreciate your comments my man. Currently I'm working on a remix with some additions and subtractions.

Cheers - Ian
Yessir, great blues, good lyrics it all fits pretty well. Mix was bone dry when I heard it, and the harp was close to being overpowering.

I'd tone down the harp, convert any midi to audio at least, and use audio effects to strengthen those tracks, but go for Real Tracks if possible, and and real blues guitar would set this song up just right. A little slide guitar would work great.
Ian,
Cool...!
I'm a harp blues player and always looking for new cool lyrics.
OK if I use it in a gig?
Walt
Hey Walt - thanks for listening. Where do you gig from, my man?

Ian
© PG Music Forums