PG Music Home
Posted By: raymb1 Hand truck - 02/24/18 06:17 PM
Has anyone used one of these to move equipment? https://www.homedepot.com/p/UPCART-Lift-Folding-Hand-Truck-MPHD-1/302856092
Posted By: jford Re: Hand truck - 02/24/18 06:32 PM
I've used the non-stair-climbing version (just two wheels). It worked well, but had to wrap bungee cords around my keyboard amp to secure it to the band truck frame, otherwise it would slide around and become unbalanced. But it works pretty well in general and mine is probably about 10 years old now.

There have been many times I wish mine could negotiate stairs better. I may have to look into one of these myself.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Hand truck - 02/24/18 08:39 PM
Yes. I have one. It’s for what I would call light duty, but it’s remarkable how it goes up and down stairways. I generally put two horn cases and a bag on it and bungee them in.

I love mine.

I did have to make one repair when a wheel fell off; check that everything is tightened when you get yours.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Hand truck - 02/24/18 09:38 PM
I'll probably get this one; https://www.homedepot.com/p/UPCART-Lift-Folding-Hand-Truck-MPHD-1/302856092 rated for 200 lbs. There's a 90 day try-out period.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Hand truck - 02/24/18 11:24 PM
Yes, that’s what I have. The three wheels on each side make it climb up and down stairs. Quite cool.
Posted By: KeithS Re: Hand truck - 02/24/18 11:49 PM
The upcarts are real nice for going upstairs but as Matt said they are light duty. I used mine for hauling groceries upstairs at my old house and it did a fine job. When we moved to our one story place last year I tried putting something heavy on it and it pulled the pins through the side supports and I’ve not been able to repair it. I always used a rock n roller for equipment but it doesn’t climb stairs as well as the upcart.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Hand truck - 02/25/18 01:26 AM
Which model did you have, the 100 lb max load or the 200 lb max load?
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Hand truck - 02/25/18 05:52 AM
That seems odd Keith unless you're hauling your anvil collection...

I've been using those two wheeled collapsible carts since the first one came out around 1986 or so. I love em because they fold up completely flat in my trunk. They last so long I think I've had no more than 3 in 25 years. One finally fell apart maybe 6-7 years ago but other than that no problems. To me if you can get 5 years of pretty heavy use out of a $40 item, that's pretty good.

I've used them to take a 50 pound keyboard on the boat to Catalina numerous times and that is not easy. It's up and down a pretty long floating ramp with lots of bumps, then up another ramp into the boat then into the cargo area. In town I use it for the keyboard plus I'll come back to the car and take my 40 pound amp and stack other stuff on top of it. I try to load in two trips. As you know some gigs are a real schlep especially hotels and country clubs. Through the loading dock, down dark hallways, through a kitchen, all that fun stuff. We may think we're stars but we're just staff ya know?

This new stair climbing one looks way cool to me too.

Bob
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Hand truck - 02/26/18 11:56 PM
Just got the Upcart Lift (200 lbs max), and tried it out with about a 70 lb load. Made it a lot easier going up and down one flight of stairs. Concerned about it's durability though.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Hand truck - 02/27/18 09:12 AM
Originally Posted By: raymb1
Just got the Upcart Lift (200 lbs max), and tried it out with about a 70 lb load. Made it a lot easier going up and down one flight of stairs. Concerned about it's durability though.

Ray, keyboard and the new trolley heading out on the nightly gig: grin

Attached picture 2018-02-27_23-05-48.jpg
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Hand truck - 02/27/18 12:20 PM
Tough gig!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Hand truck - 02/27/18 12:55 PM
Yep.... it's good for light duty stuff.

Everyone needs to have a hand cart. They make life so much easier
Posted By: sslechta Re: Hand truck - 02/27/18 01:48 PM
I just have these guys move my piano when I go out....

Description: Piano Movers
Attached picture temp.jpg
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Hand truck - 02/27/18 01:51 PM
I've used these before. They are very useful, and surprisingly durable. However, I wouldn't trust it for anything that exceeds are 80 lbs, in my experience. It is super useful with moving things up stairs though.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Hand truck - 02/27/18 01:51 PM
Here's what we use:

https://rocknrollercart.com/
Posted By: sslechta Re: Hand truck - 02/27/18 01:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
I've used these before.

Laurel and Hardy?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Hand truck - 02/27/18 02:10 PM
Just check the connections after each use. I love mine but it is light duty, remember. It’s not like a hand truck from Home Depot. It’s built more like a luggage carrier, just one that goes up and down steps. You’ll be very impressed the first time you do that.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Hand truck - 02/27/18 02:15 PM
It depends on how much you have to haul.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/liaphjdovtdlgxn/City%201.jpg?dl=0

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Hand truck - 02/27/18 02:20 PM
Hope you don't have to go up any stairs!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Hand truck - 03/01/18 06:02 PM
Stairs are bad, but open ground is worse!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Hand truck - 03/04/18 02:58 PM
I have been using this one https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R2RT?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy-SS8p7T2QIVFrjACh0SlgjVEAQYASABEgKEMfD_BwEfor years. I'd just as soon leave a guitar home before I'd leave this baby!

Later,
Posted By: Tobias Re: Hand truck - 03/07/18 12:16 AM
" That seems odd Keith unless you're hauling your anvil collection... "

I just thought this statement was funny because years ago our rack gear was mounted in actual "Anvil" cases. There were made of something like 1/4 inch plywood with metal edges and metal corners and, by themselves, were very heavy. Usually took 2 people to carry an 8 - 10 space case. Nothing like today's rack cases. I don't think those folding hand trucks would have lasted long hauling them. We had to use heavy duty hand trucks.
Oh yeah, and it was uphill, barefooted, in the snow, there and back too.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Hand truck - 03/07/18 12:43 AM
"Back in the day" (disco days), we had two vans full of heavy equipment. We had a couple of heavy duty hand trucks, Mover heavy duty. Now-a-days age and small car require me to have something that folds into a small package. So far the Upcart Lift has been holding up well. All load-ins have been less than 100 lbs a load. Going up and down stairs is still a novelty.
© PG Music Forums