PG Music Home
Posted By: Lloyd S Replacement for M-Audio's Audiophile 2496 - 04/29/18 02:13 PM
It looks like I'm going to have to finally replace a couple of my old desktop PC's.
I kept one around for music production that's running Win XP and the "2496"
plus a day-to-day machine bought running Vista and then upgraded to Win 7.

I'm looking at replacing these 2 with a single desktop PC but am having trouble
getting recommendations for a replacement for the 2496. I thought I remembered a
discussion about sound cards on the forum here but can't seem to track it down.

Any thoughts/ideas/advice on a replacement PC and/or soundcard?
I would use the music part mainly for the occasional home recording session (live vocals)
plus the usual BIAB/RB sessions.

Help!
Thanks!
LLOYD S
I would get a USB audio interface because that is most likely the most competitive interface environment at the moment.

Focusrite seems to be a very popular brand on this forum. They recently updated their interface product line and the audio drivers are frequently updated.
Originally Posted By: Lloyd S
I'm looking at replacing these 2 with a single desktop PC but am having trouble getting recommendations for a replacement for the 2496. Any thoughts/ideas/advice on a replacement PC and/or soundcard?

You piqued my curiosity and as I expected I'm not seeing a lot of "PCI card" type of choices out there.
Maybe I'm missing something in my searching.

Much of the audio interface products seem to be pushing everyone to USB and not much in the (dated?) PCi configuration.
I also had the PCI 2496 in one my backup computers but that was loooong ago.
It is a good card.

But, if you're updating the computer too that will require some thought and maybe PCi isn't the technology to remain with.
Plus, the prices being asked are...well....out of this world, to say the least.
If you go with a PCi type card just make sure your new MB has that slot.

Oh....I'm still using the Delta 44 and it works great on Win7 and there are Win10 drivers.

Anyway.....I'm little help so good luck on your quest.
Good point about the motherboard. New ones may no longer even have a PCI slot. They should have a PCIe slot, though.

Some years ago I thought it was better to get audio out of the box, so to speak, to avoid electrical and radio interference. The USB interfaces certainly solved that. But great equipment like RMI, Lynx and MOTU cards are still fine in the box.

I had a 2496 card, too.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Good point about the motherboard. New ones may no longer even have a PCI slot. They should have a PCIe slot, though.

Yes....I meant to have the "e" in there.....my oversight and thanks for clarifying.
I just rebuilt my computer about 6 months ago and made sure it had a PCIe slot.

I guess my reluctance to trust USB as a reliable/unfinicky audio interface is long misplaced. smile

Back to topic....
Creative SoundBlaster ZxR PCIe

This seems to come up fairly often in the "consumer" category.
Anyone have one, or know anyone who does?
I'm just looking for something in the same "spec range" as my old 2496.

Thanks all for your input!
LLOYD S
A few more thoughts:

If drivers are available for your current card and if your computer's motherboard has a spare PCIe slot then you can use a PCIe to PCI adapter. +++ THIS ONE +++ costs $60 US but is industrial grade. Knock offs are available starting at $10 US.

Buy a motherboard with high end audio functionality built-in. Virtual reality and gaming have forced motherboard manufacturers to pay attention to motherboard audio. A search of just one motherboard manufacturers' products revealed twenty motherboards with premium, audiophile quality audio with professional grade components. +++ HERE +++ is one example.
Great suggestions Jim.
Thanks, I'll check them out.
LLOYD S
© PG Music Forums