PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike SONGS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE COVERED!!! - 05/02/18 08:05 PM

do you have songs to add the list
Posted By: MarioD Re: SONGS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE COVERED!!! - 05/02/18 09:25 PM
This is one list that I agree with as the originals were better than the covers in all cases. YMMV
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: SONGS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE COVERED!!! - 05/02/18 09:58 PM
To be fair about #8, anything by Jessica Simpson is horrible.
Posted By: jford Re: SONGS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE COVERED!!! - 05/03/18 11:56 AM
Looking at the picture for the YouTube link, it's pretty obvious that Britney Spears really needs to be covered. smile
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: SONGS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE COVERED!!! - 05/03/18 12:29 PM
I would add "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing". Something about the juxtaposition of the song into the movie (Armageddon) makes it absolutely perfect in every way. Diane Warren penned, Aerosmith performed (AND I am not a huge Aerosmith fan), that song was as close to perfect as I have ever heard. Steven Tyler fought and fought saying it was selling out, and it was their 1st, and I believe their only, #1 song.

Disclaimer: I am such a fan of Diane Warren's writing I would pay her money just to drink her bathwater. Her list of chart toppers is unprecedented, and when you factor in how many genres she has charted at #1 it is even more impressive. From Silli Vanilli to Meatloaf to Aerosmith to Celine Dion...
Posted By: sslechta Re: SONGS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE COVERED!!! - 05/03/18 12:37 PM
Agreed, I'm a big Diane fan as well.

I am so sorry, but this version of Summertime Blues is great.
In my opinion, anything by Drake; but for different reasons. I would prefer to have them not live on any longer than is necessary. Just my opinion. If you are a Drake lover. Rock it out.
I agree with most of their list. Many times the original is much better than any cover. The only one on the list that I would disagree with is Limp Bizkit's version of Faith. Maybe it's because I'm not a George Michael fan, or maybe because Limp Bizkit was one of the first rock bands that I listened to regularly (I know I'm showing my age lol) or maybe I just like yelling "You got to have faith" at the end of the song. I don't know but I love that version.
Posted By: sslechta Re: SONGS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE COVERED!!! - 05/04/18 10:46 AM
Not much of a Limp Bizkit fan but I like their version of that too. All the angst in that yelling. smile
If you are willing to shake up the arrangement and do your own thing, I think anything can be covered. I think that's the glory of covers. But this was a very interesting list. Thank you for sharing!
I personally don't think anyone should ever try covering Stairway to Heaven. I've heard a couple covers, and they are always very disappointing. Led Zeppelin just nailed it with the original. If I ever hear even a slightly better rendition I'd be pretty surprised.

Also, most covers of Pink Floyd songs tend to fall flat for me. Interesting topic of discussion though!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: SONGS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE COVERED!!! - 05/11/18 03:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
I personally don't think anyone should ever try covering Stairway to Heaven.

I agree. The less people performing that insipid cliche of a song, the better. Also Free Bird, Brown Eyed Girl.....

I don't think you were around yet the last time "the list" was posted by long time players who hate doing the songs on "the list".
Posted By: Bunyip Re: SONGS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE COVERED!!! - 05/12/18 02:34 AM
I think people should not try to cover anything from The Shaggs "Philosophy Of The World" album.

Some things are just perfect as they are.
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
I personally don't think anyone should ever try covering Stairway to Heaven.

This is a nice one:

IMHO anything is fair game. My friend Cuzzie refuses point blank to sing “Hotel California”. I just think it is only a song. (And yes I know somebody is going to incredulously reply: “Only a song? Only a song? Do you know what you are saying!!!!”)

If you want to cover a song and you enjoyed covering it and you perform it well and you put your own “stamp” on it and the audience enjoys it then go for it!
© PG Music Forums