PG Music Home
Posted By: eddie1261 A question for nerds - 05/14/18 06:14 PM
I have sat at customer's desk and watched as a neighbor was using their mouse and the neighbor apparently had the same hardware and the mouse was on the same frequency as theirs.

I want to make that happen on purpose. I want to get 3 receivers all on the same frequency so my one keyboard and mouse can be used on 3 computers, none of which will be powered on at the same time. This will be in my RV and I really don't want to have to crawl under the table to move the wireless USB receivers to the PC that will be in use at a given time.

One PC will be my daily use PC, another for TV and movies, and the third for the studio. Obviously if I am watching a movie I am not working on music, and so forth.

Anybody know how I'd make that happen? Logitech has a "Unifying receiver" but once it is paired, if you break the pair and re-pair it, that counts as "one", and you get 45 before it stops working, so that won't work. I'd go through 45 pairings in a week.

EDIT: I may have found the answer (90 minutes later!) There is something called "Mouse Without Borders". Note that I said "MAY have, because logic tells me that to do this all 3 computers will have to be running, thus the need to do it with hardware.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: A question for nerds - 05/14/18 10:53 PM
Eddie, I realize this is not necessarily a hi-tech and nerdy answer, but Big Lots here in CO, has wireless mice for less than 10$ that work flawlessly, and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo that only uses one USB receiver per pair, for $20.
http://www.biglots.com/product/wireless-multimedia-desktop-keyboard-with-optical-mouse/p810070731
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: A question for nerds - 05/14/18 11:02 PM
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Eddie, I realize this is not necessarily a hi-tech and nerdy answer, but Big Lots here in CO, has wireless mice for less than 10$ that work flawlessly, and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo that only uses one USB receiver per pair, for $20.
http://www.biglots.com/product/wireless-multimedia-desktop-keyboard-with-optical-mouse/p810070731

BUT are they all on the same frequency so one kb/mouse will work with all 3 receivers? The issue is that I need it to work "backwards" from what a KVM does.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: A question for nerds - 05/15/18 01:04 AM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not

BUT are they all on the same frequency so one kb/mouse will work with all 3 receivers? The issue is that I need it to work "backwards" from what a KVM does.

I have no idea. I've use the cheapo wireless mice from Big Lots in all-day use at my workplace for a couple of years straight with only issue being battery replacement.

Why not have 3 'sets' of keyboards and mice? I understand that space is at a premium in an RV, so if that's the answer, I get it.

Now that you mention it, what about an old-school KVM switch type thing WIRED into your RV? Back in the day I re-purposed KVM and printer sharing switches for other uses in our test lab.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: A question for nerds - 05/15/18 09:20 AM
The KVM, and I have one, is also a bunch of cable clutter. Exactly why I want to go this wireless route. We're all thinking though!!
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: A question for nerds - 05/15/18 11:28 AM
Retire the tinfoil hat and use a single computer with good virus software!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: A question for nerds - 05/15/18 12:30 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

Well, that always is an option, but here's why it isn't the best one for me.

Imagine me being in the RV somewhere remote in New Mexico and "the" computer fails. I have no parts stores anywhere near me. I then have to drive who knows how far to find a part. HDD, mobo, whatever. With more computers I have a backup.

Also, one computer is full of movies, TV shows, concerts, like two 2tb drives full. I don't want to mess with that one. The other is the music computer, which is not on the internet, only on my home LAN (which I will have in the RV). The "daily use" computer is for surfing, email, banking, and such... THAT one has the mondo virus and malware software on it. (Here at home I connect through a proxy server, so the virus stuff is on the computer running as a proxy server. I will not have that in the RV so life will change.)

So 3 PCs, all doing different jobs.

Besides I just bought a new tin foil hat.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: A question for nerds - 05/15/18 12:45 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

Well, that always is an option, but here's why it isn't the best one for me.

Imagine me being in the RV somewhere remote in New Mexico and "the" computer fails. I have no parts stores anywhere near me. I then have to drive who knows how far to find a part. HDD, mobo, whatever. With more computers I have a backup.

Also, one computer is full of movies, TV shows, concerts, like two 2tb drives full. I don't want to mess with that one. The other is the music computer, which is not on the internet, only on my home LAN (which I will have in the RV). The "daily use" computer is for surfing, email, banking, and such... THAT one has the mondo virus and malware software on it. (Here at home I connect through a proxy server, so the virus stuff is on the computer running as a proxy server. I will not have that in the RV so life will change.)

So 3 PCs, all doing different jobs.

Besides I just bought a new tin foil hat.

So, are you carrying a spare RV engine around with you? Or a spare heart? C'mon man, you are not truly "roughing it" if you are equipping the RV with 3 computers! laugh
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: A question for nerds - 05/15/18 02:17 PM
https://www.stardock.com/products/multiplicity/

https://symless.com/synergy/features

Posted By: musiclover Re: A question for nerds - 05/15/18 02:58 PM
Well I know that for me its a struggle sometimes, as not large rooms, to make space for two computers in one room and be able to use them comfortably, never mind putting three in a RV.

Another option is PLex media server, works a treat for me, movies and other media on one computer (Should be able to hook up a drive with 2TB of movies on it) then stream them to a different device in RV either tablet or computer. I am able to stream them all over the house that has the Plex client on it.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: A question for nerds - 05/15/18 03:29 PM
Let me go into a little more detail. These 3 PCs will never be all powered on at once. Living on solar power, every amp hour wasted is an issue, so even the vampire power to keep the CMOS battery powered by AC is something I have to avoid. Thus something like Synergy will not be the ticket because Synergy uses one "master" computer that must be powered on to switch from computer to computer. Microsoft also has "Mouse Without Borders", but again, that system is for when all the computers are on and you switch from PC to PC. What I need is a keyboard and mouse with a USB dongle, like most of them are, that are on the same frequency, so all 3 PCs have a dongle in them that can be paired with the one keyboard and mouse. That way one keyboard and mouse will be paired with the dongles in all 3 PCs. Logitech has a "unifying receiver", but after 45 pairings, they stop working and according to Logitech's web page they cannot be paired again after that 45 uses are exhausted.

I am going to call Stardock and talk to them about this. I used to use their monitor extender and it worked well. What I am trying to do is essentially backwards from how a traditional KVM works. Most of them are extremely touchy about using wireless, and I have tested with mine. The connection to one then the other then the other was tenuous at best. It would work once, then not work, then work twice, then not work.... Plus, it STILL required cables from the KVM to the computers and I am trying to avoid that. If I have those cables running from a KVM to the hardware, I may as well just have 3 complete sets of peripherals. I'll get it done somehow!!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: A question for nerds - 05/15/18 03:32 PM
C'mon man, you are not truly "roughing it" if you are equipping the RV with 3 computers!

Hey!! No hot tub!! No 280 channel cable. No 120 mbps downstream internet.

That is indeed roughing it!!

This is going to be SUCH a life paradigm shifting event for me I hope I can handle it. I am going from 1092 square feet to about 60. But silver lining Eddie sees that it is far less to area to keep clean, and that as it is I can only be in one room at a time. That will become "all one room".
Posted By: CountryTrash Re: A question for nerds - 05/16/18 05:26 AM
Hi Eddie,

Seems to me that the easiest solution is a bluetooth Mouse.

If pairing is from PC to Mouse then any amount of PC's will connect to a single mouse ... seeing that you say only one PC will be operational at a time ....
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: A question for nerds - 05/16/18 10:49 AM
Originally Posted By: CountryTrash
Seems to me that the easiest solution is a bluetooth Mouse.

And you are absolutely correct, sir!! Just have to make sure the PCs are bluetooth ready or buy 4.0 dongles for them. (One of which I gave away because I was NEVER going to use it again....)
Posted By: sslechta Re: A question for nerds - 05/16/18 03:17 PM
But you can always "Dongle in the Jungle". Well, that's alright by me.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: A question for nerds - 05/16/18 04:14 PM
Just ordered 3 Bluetooth 4.0 dongles and a keyboard and mouse bundle.

So I can either dongle in the jongle or bundle in the jungle.
© PG Music Forums