PG Music Home
Posted By: 90 dB Why is Spaghetti Western Music So Cool? - 06/03/18 06:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98T648KLfHQ

Too much reverb?

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: MarioD Re: Why is Spaghetti Western Music So Cool? - 06/03/18 07:01 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Not for this genre.

Spaghetti and reverb, what's not to like?
I enjoy Reverb.com videos but I think this one came up a little short. My understanding is baritone guitars were used on the soundtracks and the Fender guitar used in the video has a completely different timbre, Other than that it was an excellent video.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Why is Spaghetti Western Music So Cool? - 06/03/18 10:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
I enjoy Reverb.com videos but I think this one came up a little short. My understanding is baritone guitars were used on the soundtracks and the Fender guitar used in the video has a completely different timbre, Other than that it was an excellent video.

Actually, it was probably a Jazzmaster with heavy strings.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/best-guitar-for-spaghetti-western-plonk.277884/page-2

Regards,

Bob
Really interesting video. I like where he compares it with surf music. That riff really does work in both genres. Crazy how similar they are.
Really interesting vid smile I too found it interesting when he compared it to surf rock. It is something I never really paid attention too, but they are way more similar than I had realized.

Thanks for sharing!
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Actually, it was probably a Jazzmaster with heavy strings.

One of my upcoming songs needed that baritone guitar sound. I played it on an Ibanez that was tuned down 3 semitones to make the strings looser and I got that "slappy" sound I needed.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Why is Spaghetti Western Music So Cool? - 06/05/18 10:08 AM
Like Jim said, I too was always under the impression that it was a baritone guitar.

Interesting to find out it was a Jazzmaster.

Regards,

Bob
As to the title of this thread I never thought the music was cool. I thought the movies and music sucked. Being from SoCal, the music was a total rip off of Dick Dale or the Ventures and I remember thinking why are they playing surf music in a bad Western? I only saw one in the theater, Hang em High I think and I almost walked out, actually maybe I did walk out can't remember now.

Bob
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Why is Spaghetti Western Music So Cool? - 06/05/18 01:52 PM
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
As to the title of this thread I never thought the music was cool. I thought the movies and music sucked. Being from SoCal, the music was a total rip off of Dick Dale or the Ventures and I remember thinking why are they playing surf music in a bad Western? I only saw one in the theater, Hang em High I think and I almost walked out, actually maybe I did walk out can't remember now.

Bob

Then why did you feel the need to comment at all? I lived in "SoCal" for fifteen years - I never thought that fact made me an expert on 'cool'. cool
Wasn't all that music played by The Wrecking Crew anyway?
I've always loved this stuff (and anything with too much reverb).

I listened to a lot of surf rock and psychobilly growing up, and a lot of those bands like Deadbolt and the Meteors borrow as heavily from spaghetti western music as they do from Dick Dale (who I also love).

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
Forgive me for not watching the video, I have a slow connection and I got tired of waiting for it to stop buffering and play.

I live about 3 miles from the end of the fiber optics, so all I get is DSL-Lite. I tried cable but they are unreliable around here.

It's the price for living in almost paradise, between a 2 mile wide lagoon to the east and protected wetlands to the west.

Anyway, for me what makes Spaghetti Western music so great? Two words, Ennio Morricone

I think the guy is a very talented and creative composer with a great sense of orchestration that includes very unusual non-standard sounds.

His work on non-spaghetti-western music is great as well.

Insights and incites by Notes
I use the baritone guitar RT to create a very believable Sergio Leone "spaghetti western" vibe.
I thought Joe from Reverb did a great job of dissecting genre, and articulating the uniqueness of the style.
Reading Bruce Swedien’s book called “Make Mine Music” and he goes through the US based history of implementation of reverb in recorded music as it pertains to chambers. I haven’t gotten far enough through the book to see if he covers non acoustic chamber reverb. But reverb is the reason it’s cool. It’s otherworldly.
Posted By: Eridanus Re: Why is Spaghetti Western Music So Cool? - 06/22/18 09:03 AM
Here is a good example of spaghetti western music with reverb and tremolo guitars:

Spindrift - Speak to the wind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEgNebSjNyA

But I think the charm of spaghetti western music is determined not only by guitar sound, but also by different samples, precussion (castanets or ratchets) noises and whistle. Good example of western music where the guitar is not main instrument:

Dezperadoz - Deadwood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaj9n5T5prY
Originally Posted By: Eridanus
Here is a good example of spaghetti western music with reverb and tremolo guitars:

Spindrift - Speak to the wind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEgNebSjNyA

But I think the charm of spaghetti western music is determined not only by guitar sound, but also by different samples, precussion (castanets or ratchets) noises and whistle. Good example of western music where the guitar is not main instrument:

Dezperadoz - Deadwood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaj9n5T5prY

Eridanus,

I may be revealing my age, but I am hearing The Ventures and Shadows in these examples. Both guitar groups were taking us through uncharted waters, musically speaking.

Sergei Leone's "Spaghetti Western" movie theme music was the first time that I had heard such "soul-grabbing" and I instantly loved the baritone guitar sound. The BIAB RT is an excellent replication by Brent Mason. I've used it in several tunes.

BTW, I've never seen your posts before. Welcome to the most friendly and knowledgeable forums on the planet.
Spendrift, not too much. Dezperadoz - spot on. Both really good finds. I agree with Eridanus that it's got to be more than just the right guitar sound you need all the instruments such as whistling, sound effects, horn, etc. Dezperadoz does a nice job.

+++ HERE +++ is a rendition by the Danish National that is FANTASTIC!
© PG Music Forums