PG Music Home
Posted By: mglinert Smallest 'stage' - 09/28/09 01:09 PM
OK so what's the smallest 'stage' you've ever played.
THe band (5 of us) were crammed into what must have been around 10-12 m² on Friday.

Stage

Lucky we didn't have a horn section and trio of backing singers!
Posted By: DrDan Re: Smallest 'stage' - 09/28/09 01:29 PM
Loved the picture.

Well I don't have a picture, but we once had a five piece that was asked to setup outside in a small gazebo. No electric and the space was not even big enough for the drums. NO WAY. So we ended up in a hall way all playing in a narrow line along the walkway.
Posted By: Axegrinder01 Re: Smallest 'stage' - 09/28/09 05:39 PM
Well, that looks pretty dangerous...good way to get a guitar tuning machine up the nose, or get wrapped up like a mummy in mic and instrument cords...
Posted By: botma Re: Smallest 'stage' - 09/28/09 06:07 PM
In a situation like that the trick is to get there early..
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Smallest 'stage' - 09/29/09 03:20 AM
This isn’t about a “small” stage, but about an “Unusual” stage.
Our band was booked to play at, what was described as “barn dance” When we arrived at the address it was a farm out in the country, and we were in fact playing in a barn.
When we enquired as to where we should set up, the boss pointed straight up to the hayloft, which was about 3 metres off the ground, and the only access was a timber ladder that was about 12 inches wide. At the time I was using a full size Yamaha console organ that weighed 140 pounds, so the prospect of getting it up into the hayloft was a bit daunting. We came up with a brainwave, and made a set of steps from a number of hay bales that were spread throughout the barn – perfect! We got set up & had a fantastic night. Except for two things. Being a hot humid night, in a tin shed with 100+ guests, condensation settled on the tin roof, and then started falling like rain.
Oh, and after we'd finished we went to climb down the hay bales with the gear, but people had been sitting, jumping & dancing on them, so they were flat. Fortunately we had plenty of helping hands to get the back down again.
Posted By: WienSam Re: Smallest 'stage' - 09/29/09 04:30 AM
Ey up, lad! You 'ad it luxury! LUXURY!! I tell you... (Monty Python )

The smallest stage I have ever experienced was at 'Ain't Nothin But... The Blues Bar' in Soho, London

The stage is a regular stage (meaning musicians play there every night, professionally) but only about six square metres. It is about a bench width and half a bench deep. In the photo above, it is where the wooden panelling is on the end wall. The bench on the right is for customers, as is the one on the left. The stage itself is little more than the size of a nice fireplace. Mind you, they pack in the audience too - shoulder to shoulder...

The greatest little blues joint in all of England! Man, do they squeeze some good acts on there! I have seen a 5 piece band play that stage - mind you, the acts are usually playing unplugged

Ain't Nothin But...

PS I once sang there with Chris Jagger, Mick's older brother.
Posted By: Mac Re: Smallest 'stage' - 09/29/09 12:49 PM
Stage?

The stage is right next to the Restroom doors, across from the ice machine.

In the corner.

Everyone in need of the Restroom must travel directly past the front of the band...
Posted By: HappyTrails Re: Smallest 'stage' - 09/29/09 01:56 PM
Quote:

Stage?

In the corner.

Everyone in need of the Restroom must travel directly past the front of the band...

That's a good thing since everybody has to go the restroom at some point.
Posted By: mglinert Re: Smallest 'stage' - 09/30/09 02:27 PM
YOu got it in one guys. take another look
What else did you think that door directly behind our 'stage' was?!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Smallest 'stage' - 09/30/09 02:43 PM
The smallest stage I ever played on was with a rock band when I was 16. I had to stand IN the drums (not in front, IN the kit, between two cymbals). Everybody else was similarly crunched, and the sound was so deafening that the other trumpet player and I could not hear ourselves at all, even with mics, and the other player was a big band lead player. I have no idea what we sounded like that night. Was painful for all, and my left ear hasn't been the same since.

But they still danced.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Smallest 'stage' - 09/30/09 03:46 PM
Marc,

I have only played one that small since I started soloing, never with the trio or bigger bands. But I have played stages with chicken wire enclosures to stop flying beer bottles and various other projectiles.

In your case I would just be thankful the bass players does not show up with an upright.

Later,
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Smallest 'stage' - 09/30/09 03:51 PM
Quote:

Stage?

In the corner.

Been there many times but near by restroom locations would add to the fun to on a gig as when a lady would walk to the restroom the drummer would automatically start playing a march in cadence with her steps and the entire band would sing "We know where you’re going". . . always good for a few laughs.

Later,
Posted By: WienSam Re: Smallest 'stage' - 10/01/09 12:08 AM
ROFLMAO!
Posted By: Superbron Re: Smallest 'stage' - 10/01/09 09:14 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Stage?

In the corner.

Been there many times but near by restroom locations would add to the fun to on a gig as when a lady would walk to the restroom the drummer would automatically start playing a march in cadence with her steps and the entire band would sing "We know where you’re going". . . always good for a few laughs.

Later,

Lol!
© PG Music Forums