PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude BMI or ASCAP? - 08/23/18 11:31 AM
Morning folks! I've been a member of SOCAN (Canadian performing rights organization) for many years.

I am currently setting up a PRO CDBaby account, and in addition to my SOCAN information they want to know which PRO in the US should collect royalties owed and forward to SOCAN.

I can choose either BMI or ASCAP, any thoughts on which is better or are they both pretty much the same thing?
Posted By: sslechta Re: BMI or ASCAP? - 08/23/18 11:49 AM
Here's a long thread of info I remember from a few years back. Enjoy!

BMI & ASCAP
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: BMI or ASCAP? - 08/23/18 12:08 PM
Man! That is indeed a LONG thread! eek

Thanks smile

Posted By: Noel96 Re: BMI or ASCAP? - 08/23/18 05:46 PM
Dave,

Check out SOCAN's relationships with the US PROs. It might be that you don't need to do anything.

Here in Australia, I'm with APRA and they have a reciprocal deal that allows BMI, SESAC and ASCAP to collect royalites on my songs and forward them to APRA for distribution.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: BMI or ASCAP? - 08/23/18 06:18 PM
Essentially, they are pretty much the same, but it pays to understand how they collect and remit your royalties.

I'm with BMI.... no particular reason. They all represent all genre's of music so..... it really is just a personal preference. Registering a song is pretty easy to do and it's all online. I've gotten a few checks and it's easy to look online to see where it's coming from.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: BMI or ASCAP? - 08/24/18 06:53 AM
Thanks guys, I have it sorted smile
© PG Music Forums