PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Hurricane - Florence - 09/12/18 09:12 AM
We have a BUNCH of people on this forum who will likely be affected by this hurricane in a big way.

Do not take this lightly. It is a scary thing.

Y'all stay safe.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/12/18 09:19 AM
Everyone, Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Good luck to you all. We will be watching and thinking of you.
Posted By: KeithS Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/12/18 10:39 AM
John (jford)

If you’re still in Robbinsvile, Come Home!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/12/18 10:56 AM
To all of my friends in those area please get out and be safe. We can replace material things but we can not replace you.
Posted By: KeithS Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/12/18 12:19 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
but we can not replace you.

When I retired, they had to replace me with 3 people. laugh
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/12/18 12:53 PM
Excellent advice Floyd.
Have been watching this event materialize. Stay safe everyone who might be affected.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/12/18 01:27 PM
Danny Campo, a mutual friend of Mario and I, lives directly in the path with his lovely bride Linda, and I worry about them. I hope that they will report in so we'll know that they are safe.
Posted By: ROG Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/12/18 01:40 PM
It's all over the news here in the UK as well.

Stay safe all - were thinking about you.

ROG.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/12/18 02:44 PM
Winston Salem is pretty far inland, so the coastal problems like flooding and roofs blowing off probably won't happen here (except for flooding in low lying areas, which most likely will happen. I'm on a hill, which makes flooding of little concern to me.)

My biggest concern is that we will probably have a lot of tees falling on houses after the ground gets saturated from days of rain, followed by sustained winds.

The most recent comparable storm was HUGO in 1989. The trees in my yard were saplings 29 years ago, so I didn't sustain any damage at all that time. But today those same trees are over a foot in diameter, very tall and wayyy too close to the house. Also, many of them are shallow-rooted pines which are easily uprooted. And danged if most of them aren't leaning in the worst possible direction.

I bought a new chainsaw, a generator, and a winch to help me remove whatever falls on the roof, and some tarps to cover the hole(s).. that's really all I can do at this point.

Herb, David Snyder and Charlie Fogle are a lot closer to the coast, so they will probably get the worst the storm has to offer.

Search Youtube for footage about the aftermath of Hugo in the charlotte area. Scary.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/12/18 03:05 PM
Scary stuff defo Take care
Posted By: MarioD Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/12/18 04:08 PM
Originally Posted By: KeithS
Originally Posted By: MarioD
but we can not replace you.

When I retired, they had to replace me with 3 people. laugh

Yes, but there names were Curly, Larry and Moe grin
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/12/18 04:20 PM
Be safe my friends. Many times that means don't take chances. Praying for you all.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/12/18 05:15 PM
One year ago this week we had to deal with Hurricane Irma. Looks like the models are showing Florence to dump a lot of rain on us...being nearly 200 miles inland the winds "should" be way reduced...but that's what we said with Irma and we ended up with a day of 75mph gusts. I had a tree guy come out yesterday and take down a large old oak that Irma weakened (in the direction of the house).

Given what the coastal folks are going to deal with I feel guilty even whining at all and we send our best positive thoughts and wishes to all of them.

Bud

PS The below photo shows the power of Hurricane Irma on our trails. For scale Janice is 5'5" tall. The root ball is attached to a HUGE 100+ year old Red Oak. These trees, this far inland, did not evolve to stand the force of the all too frequent nowadays super storms. And this is one tree out of hundreds in our area.

Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/13/18 07:52 PM
I hope everyone stays safe!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/15/18 01:05 PM
So.... we're safe here in Middlesex NC.

We had some wind, and rain, a few small branches down (literally just sticks) and leaves.... so far about 6" but we're on day 3 of the storm.... still getting rain. We never lost power. Had a few blinks but it stayed on. So.... we're high and dry and enjoying the comforts of Duke Power.

The folks down east are in a mess. The rain fall is historic. My daughter evacuated from New Bern and came to stay here. Her house is without power and she attempted to return home today but only got as far as Kinston. The Neuse river is blocking the roads. So she has come back for a few days. As far as she knows, the house is OK.... not much wind but the storm surge has backed the rivers up and has flooded downtown New Bern. She thinks her house is on high enough ground so it shouldn't be flooded.

Anyway... thanks for thinking about us.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/15/18 01:35 PM
It's great to hear that you folks are safe and dry, Herb.

Sorry to hear about your daughter's situation though. Hoping that her home is safe.

Best regards to you and yours.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/15/18 01:38 PM
I am glad that you and your family are safe.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/15/18 09:06 PM
Here in Winston Salem the storm turned out to be nothing but a gentle and continuous rain... so I bought a 50 pound bag of grass seed and spread it on bare spots in my yard. I hate to let a good rain go to waste.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/16/18 09:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Here in Winston Salem the storm turned out to be nothing but a gentle and continuous rain... so I bought a 50 pound bag of grass seed and spread it on bare spots in my yard. I hate to let a good rain go to waste.

smile smile

I’m happy we were spared but with virtually no rain in two weeks we could have enjoyed your situation. My sister lives in Hendersonville NC and my sister-in-law in Boone NC. Flooding and landslides possible in their area.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/16/18 12:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

When I do that it gets washed away, or sets there for 3 weeks and bakes in the sun. Last time though, I used the tractor to loosen the soil, then raked it out and spread the seed..... since it was in a dry spell, we also watered the area well. Now, we actually have grass working it's way up in the pasture. Got it fenced off with an electric fence.... not juiced up, but the critters avoid it anyway.... 4 days of hurricane rain and maybe it'll grow this time.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/16/18 01:23 PM
Pat, Herb,

We are all encouraged to learn that your sense of humor has not been 'dampened' by Florence.

(chuckle)
Posted By: MarioD Re: Hurricane - Florence - 09/16/18 09:26 PM
Pat, seeding a lawn up here is pretty easy. Till the soil and spread the seed in late October or early November then let the snow cover it. In the spring you have grass!
© PG Music Forums