PG Music Home
Posted By: Callie - PG Music National One-Hit Wonder Day! - 09/25/18 12:46 PM
Today is NATIONAL ONE-HIT WONDER DAY!

Have you ever created a "one-hit wonder" (that you'll admit to)? Post it to this thread - we'd love to hear it!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: National One-Hit Wonder Day! - 09/25/18 01:38 PM

I haven't but one my my friends who was a young man in the Vietnam era was in a group that seemed to be on it's way and then he got drafted.

He said he was in the jungles when they turned on the radio and he heard this from the former lead singer of the band that broke up when other people went off to war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AprKN7DxJlw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whmzEXywq40

He was like: "Gee thanks God!"

Posted By: Icelander Re: National One-Hit Wonder Day! - 09/25/18 08:47 PM
Yeah, this whole thread is just a big "Tanks for reminding me!", swiftly followed by "Rub it in, why don't ya", innit crazy
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: National One-Hit Wonder Day! - 09/25/18 10:05 PM
David,

For what it's worth, Oliver was born in North Wilkesboro, North Carolina and died from cancer at age 54. Allmusic.com has a short +++ biography +++
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: National One-Hit Wonder Day! - 09/26/18 12:30 AM
I almost, sorta, kind of did if regional one hit wonders count. Back in the 1960's and 70's because of regional genre of music, that today is called Carolina Beach Music, it was fairly easy for local bands if they cut a record to get it played on Myrtle Beach radio. Well, I was in a band that cut a record. Actually several and two eventually were played locally in Myrtle Beach. "Linda" did quite well on radio. Interestly, I also redid the song using BIAB once I began using the program and it was the first BIAB song that I created and posted here on the User's Showcase.

But back to my 'One Hit Wonder'. Fast forward 20 some years and I was at a meeting at my job in our Charlotte NC office and during a break, the discussion somehow drifted to a few of the participants discussing the summers they use to spend in Myrtle Beach and their summer jobs. The subject turned toward 'Beach Music' and ultimately that I had released a record called 'Linda' that was played on the Myrtle Beach stations. To my surprise, one of my co-workers began to sing the song.

It had been one of his favorites the summer he worked there and he had recalled the tune and and some of the lyrics. No money involved but the moment was priceless to me. One of the biggest compliments I recall ever receiving.
© PG Music Forums