PG Music Home
Look at what we came across! The site https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/ posted this interview with Norway's Lido, which includes the following:

Question: How did you get into producing?

Lido: "Growing up in the mountains on the west coast of Norway there wasn’t very much to do. My dad downloaded this music making software for me on his computer, I think it was called “band in a box”. I just started making beats on there, I was about nine at the time. I didn’t realize I was producing, it felt more like a video game. It wasn’t until I got Cubase when I was 11 that I really started producing."

How great is that!?!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Starting Young with Band-in-a-Box® - 09/26/18 10:31 PM
Callie,

Have you ever seen the video of the two Japanese girls opening up their boxed BiaB external USB hard drive? Their excitement at unboxing the enclosure, plugging it in and playing their first song is so infectious. I've tried to find it without success.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Starting Young with Band-in-a-Box® - 09/27/18 10:30 AM
Super cool. Now if he would only check out what he can do with BiaB in 2018!!

J&B
I think you mean this one?

(links from http://www.pgmusic.com/videotestimonials.php)
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Starting Young with Band-in-a-Box® - 09/27/18 11:28 AM
Yes Callie,

I went to find it while our posts crossed somewhere in the Ozone Layer. I, too, remember getting a chuckle over their obvious excitement.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Starting Young with Band-in-a-Box® - 09/27/18 12:50 PM
Not to be the big buzzkiller here but (which of course means I'm about to), I actually don't think this is all that "great" or "cool" smirk
If anything, I think this makes the perfect case of the fundamental flaws in BBox' core design - it shouldn't feel like just a "game", or any sort of a toy.

BBox deserves better than that, for it is better than that!
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Starting Young with Band-in-a-Box® - 09/27/18 12:59 PM
Icelander

I think it was referring to the back then ?.

I think.
Originally Posted By: Icelander
Not to be the big buzzkiller here but (which of course means I'm about to), I actually don't think this is all that "great" or "cool" smirk
If anything, I think this makes the perfect case of the fundamental flaws in BBox' core design - it shouldn't feel like just a "game", or any sort of a toy.

BBox deserves better than that, for it is better than that!

I understand what you're saying... but I guess that a 9 year old just has a different understanding of what things "are" ???

I had a keyboard that I shared with my brothers when we were about 8-12 - and to us it was something to just make noise with... we never thought of it as a musical instrument.

I've clearly smartened up since then! wink
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Starting Young with Band-in-a-Box® - 09/27/18 01:30 PM
Getting young folks involved is the point. I don't think I'd use this as a "sales tool" for the reasons above.

I don't see a problem if they think it's a game. A deeper understanding will follow.

My 2c
Posted By: Icelander Re: Starting Young with Band-in-a-Box® - 09/27/18 01:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Callie - PG Music
... but I guess that a 9 year old just has a different understanding of what things "are" ???
Well sure, but nevertheless BBox still looks like the 'game' it probably was back then - and that once appropriate but now severely outdated "Have fun" slogan absolutely doesn't help the case either, while I'm at it. It's long overdue for a change, along with a change of sentiment (and of course with a matching interface overhaul). "Get the job done!" would be my first suggestion cool
Originally Posted By: Callie - PG Music
I've clearly smartened up since then! wink
Clearly grin - Whereas I'm afraid I am quite beyond salvaging by now crazy
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Starting Young with Band-in-a-Box® - 09/27/18 01:46 PM
It seems appropriate to mention here that Dr. Kim McCord, creator of the nation's top-rated Special Needs Music Program, uses BIAB to teach children with emotional and/or physical deficits, immersing them in music at an early stage of their development. They are like sponges willing to absorb knowledge.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Starting Young with Band-in-a-Box® - 09/27/18 02:13 PM
Quote:
It's long overdue for a change, along with a change of sentiment (and of course with a matching interface overhaul).

This seems to be a perennial topic. Each time it gets raised, the consensus has always been: Features over beauty. The GUI is functional, adequate, and intuitive. And, where else will you find a hundred new features with each release?

Becoming proficient with a new GUI takes time away from making music.

My dux kopecks.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Starting Young with Band-in-a-Box® - 09/27/18 03:44 PM
Callie,

That looks like the right video. Thanks for finding it. I smile every time I think how excited they are.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Starting Young with Band-in-a-Box® - 09/27/18 03:53 PM
Great Video a wee blast from the past, First time I have seen it.
© PG Music Forums