PG Music Home
Has anyone used this feature successfully?

Background: Izotope, the makers of Ozone, offer a plugin that (on the intermediate and advanced versions, $299 and higher) takes a stereo file and adjusts the balance between sounds or sections on the recording. Bring up the vocals, turn down the drums and horns etc. This appears to me to be a way to fix a bad mix without remixing.

Just curious who may have tried the feature.
Is this available only on the RX-7, or does it come with other Mazda models as well?

LOL - sorry, couldn't resist.
We could go round and round with that.
Hi Matt,
I have got the trial version and I had great fun with it more than anything else.
I played some Abba songs and isolated the vocals which was very informative about how they put complex background vocals together and how they added little extra vocals here and there to uplift part of the main vocal that go almost unnoticed.I have one song of mine that I got produced and so I only had the Mastered song but the lead demo singer was a little too prominent and I could definitely let her back into the mix more no problem and it would save me going back to the producer if I buy the product.What I think is that if you want to totally isolate a vocal totally its as good as you can get but its still not 100% maybe 90% or so.If however you want to lower or raise a section it is very impressive and I would guess that if you are only lowering or raising by a small amount it will work at its best.Also would be very good for Karoake im guessing or if you want to practice singing and compare ur effort to that of the original pro singer or drumming or base.
Also I suppose if you de reverbed the song before you used re balance you might Isolate the music from the vocals better and have not much artifacts left
I've played with RX7 a bit, pretty impressive. I wasn't able to get a clean isolated vocal from many songs like I hear in the demos, but it seems like it'll be handy for isolating some samples for remixes.

I'm going to play with it a bit more this weekend.

Izotope clearly have some very clever people working for them.

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
Thanks!

Is the demo the medium or advanced version, that has the Rebalance feature?
Hi Matt,
I am presuming that the Ozone plug-in and RX-7 are more advanced than Song Surgeon, which is a program that I use occasionally to both slow down and/or try to isolate a part to hear it better, using presets and EQ.

Certainly, being able to re-balance a mix could be a useful tool at times.

I was really pleasantly surprised the other day when I took a Beatles outtake of 'I Saw Her Standing There', imported it to Song Surgeon and managed to EQ the result to be able to hear some of George's guitar that is impossible to hear in the finished mix (it is the same part, though).

The program is capable of subtle (re)-EQuing, but is not primarily aimed at that.

I have found it to be much better than other programs which have a similar purpose.

Anyway, just thought I would mention it.
Hi Matt I think that both demos have the rebalance feature.If I were to add one more thing,The interface is not as smooth as Ozone or Neutron but I suppose it does have alot of features
© PG Music Forums