PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan Forum Count - 11/06/18 08:46 PM
OK, I'll ask the question, Can we really have too many forums or is more better? grin
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Forum Count - 11/07/18 01:57 AM
I’m already unable to monitor more than three. But I hope it works out.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Forum Count - 11/07/18 02:33 AM
I also only ever to manage to check a limited few. Maybe about the same as Matt. In fact I check fewer forum pages now than I did previously. Purely down to other commitments. I wish I had more time. YMMV.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Forum Count - 11/07/18 02:34 AM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
OK, I'll ask the question, Can we really have too many forums or is more better? grin

More isn't better. The additional topics just shave a sliver from the Off Topic forum each time they add another category. The only one I've checked in years is the Off Topic.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Forum Count - 11/07/18 10:39 AM
For me there are too many. I'd rather have more posts in one forum than many forums.

But I don't know if I'm in the minority or not.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Forum Count - 11/07/18 10:46 AM
No complaints here. I’ve been an admin for a large site and also a moderator on two other boards. There is a continual struggle to create/delete/combine forums with the objective of keeping posts topic focused. Some folks got perturbed when we rearranged the furniture smile Sometimes it worked, sometimes it did not but the intentions were good.

There are two differences here that IMO distinguish this board from the pack. Firstly, its still here :), i.e., it has not been consumed by social media alternatives and, secondly, it is populated by folks who by and large treat one another with respect and civility.

FWIW,

Bud
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Forum Count - 11/07/18 04:40 PM
More is always better

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Forum Count - 11/07/18 08:14 PM
Well, I just logged on and counted 34 forums (and that’s English only).

Subtracting about six I will probably never view, that still leaves quite a few to browse. What is the likelihood I will see the question from the frustrated beginner, one where I might be able to help? Many such questions show up in the wrong forum as it is, not even counting the Shout Box where I don’t attempt to help.

And I’m not counting the testing forums.

On an iPhone, which I normally use to read here, it’s a staggering task and it’s not getting easier. I apologize in advance that I won’t be as likely to help in the future. But I do wish everyone success.
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Forum Count - 11/07/18 08:43 PM
Hi
Well for me there are far more than I can cope with now.
So like many others I limit myself to the 4 that interest me and I think I may be able to help in.
That is, The Beginners, Off Topic, BIAB Windows , and Realband.
Unfortunately this means I did miss one the other day in SOS where I could have helped. Luckily due to other readers suggestion the OP sent me a PM so I became aware of it and I was pleased to help.
I expect I miss some good content but cant commit myself to monitor and respond to many more.

Just my thoughts,
Mike
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Forum Count - 11/08/18 05:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Many such questions show up in the wrong forum as it is, not even counting the Shout Box where I don’t attempt to help.

There's certainly no helping the Shout Box now...
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Forum Count - 11/08/18 05:45 PM
The forum appearance just changed on my iPhone. I like it - easier to read, and the scroll to top button is nice. The Shout Box is indeed gone.?
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Forum Count - 11/08/18 06:04 PM
That's right. It should work better on your phone now, but there is also a setting in User Prefs to change it back to desktop mode.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Forum Count - 11/08/18 09:07 PM
This is the best music related forum on the web.

A one-stop shop.

I have purchased all of my best tools, DAWS, VSTs, you name it based on recommendations from people and shout outs when they were down from $400 to $5 for one day.

I have learned how to use them on this forum.

I have learned how to mix on this forum.

I have learned how to write songs on this forum.

I have heard some incredible stuff on this forum.

This forum is my music university, and if they want to add another building or wing I don't care.

It is my decision whether or not I want to take astrophysics, but if I decide to, the class is there.

smile

More is more.

I vote with Herb. I also want that buckle.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Forum Count - 11/14/18 10:16 PM
Quote:
...it is populated by folks who by and large treat one another with respect and civility.

This one fact has been the major reason for my loyalty to the group. I am not afraid to ask my stupid questions for fear of being flamed or ridiculed. Everyone is on equal footing here although perhaps at different stages of the learning curve. Many other music forums seem eager to ambush noobs mercilessly.

Over the years, we have seen a very few trolls slither past the moderators but they don't seem to last long when confronted with the combined knowledge and mutual support to be found here. The moderators should have our sincere thanks for the excellent job they do in maintaining a 'family' atmosphere, one that I would be proud to have my grandchildren read.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Forum Count - 11/15/18 11:06 AM
Well..... the "MORE" commercial was a joke.... More is good when it concerns money, and arguably a few other things....but on forums.... maybe not so much.

There comes a point where there are simply too many forums. You start to get overlap and that's when things tend to get confusing. Nothing screams frustration when there are 2 or more closely related forums and someone takes it upon themselves to post the same exact question in several forums...... try keeping THAT conversation in the easy to understand category.

As it is right now with me.... I tend to inhabit only a small handful of these forums. Some I never go into. 6 max in the first section..... and 2 in the second section. And that's not an everyday thing either. I click to see if there's anything new in them and generally don't spend much time in them.

Adding new forums to the site should be approached with thoughtfulness. Do we really need that new forum or is the proposed forum already covered by an existing one?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Forum Count - 11/15/18 12:08 PM
IMHO the FAQs should be a subset of the main screen. That's the one with BiaB for Windows, BiaB for Mac, Forums, etc.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Forum Count - 11/16/18 10:27 AM
To me the problem with the "more" forums is that mostly new people post in the wrong one. It's easy to do when you are confronted with so many forums and haven't the experience to know which one is the most appropriate one to use.

One example: A post that might get more responses and a better chance to get a problem solved might be by posting it in the BiaB Windows or Mac forum, A newbie might post it in the SOS forum limiting his/her chances of getting a solution.

Personally I think "less is more" but I could be in the minority.

But let me say that I'll like either way and these comments are about my own personal preferences which may or may not be with the majority.

In any case, I really like this forum. Most of the people here I consider to be my friends, even if I have never met them in person. There is a lot of kindness, generosity, and humor here, and there are few flame wars, trolls, and spam. It's a happy community and I enjoy myself here.

So a "Thanks" to the moderators must be included for keeping the spam out, and another "thanks" for my fellow forumites for making this a nice place to play and share.

Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Forum Count - 11/16/18 12:32 PM
I've said this many times already.

Too many forums that overlap the same subject primarily Biab. First the main Biab Windows/Mac forums, the Beginners forum, the SOS forum, the Performance one and now the FAQ one. Nooby's are posting Biab/RB questions all over the place now. When I try to gently tell people they should read the FAQ at the top of each forum before they post I usually get slammed for it like who are you the hall monitor? I'm all about helping nooby's but some should be instructed as to how these forums work.

Bob
Posted By: silvertones Re: Forum Count - 11/16/18 12:47 PM
Way too many.Period.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Forum Count - 11/16/18 12:47 PM
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
I've said this many times already.

Too many forums that overlap the same subject primarily Biab. First the main Biab Windows/Mac forums, the Beginners forum, the SOS forum, the Performance one and now the FAQ one. Nooby's are posting Biab/RB questions all over the place now. When I try to gently tell people they should read the FAQ at the top of each forum before they post I usually get slammed for it like who are you the hall monitor? I'm all about helping nooby's but some should be instructed as to how these forums work.

Bob

What he said! I'm only working with half a brain now, and this site is getting overwhelming.

Regards,

Bob (The Other Bob)(The Handsome One) grin
Posted By: silvertones Re: Forum Count - 11/16/18 12:55 PM
How about the ability tohide the forums we're not interested in seeing?
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: Forum Count - 11/16/18 01:03 PM
You can "hide" different categories (General Discussion, PG Music Product Forums, User-to-User, etc...) by clicking on the little up-arrow on the right of each category title.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Forum Count - 11/16/18 01:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Callie - PG Music
You can "hide" different categories (General Discussion, PG Music Product Forums, User-to-User, etc...) by clicking on the little up-arrow on the right of each category title.

Excellent!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Forum Count - 11/17/18 11:37 AM
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
<...> Nooby's are posting Biab/RB questions all over the place now. When I try to gently tell people they should read the FAQ at the top of each forum before they post I usually get slammed for it like who are you the hall monitor? <...>

It's a shame when you try to help people and folks get irritated by your help.

Musicians have a reputation of being sensitive, and many of us are. But not all of us (I've learned to think first). I'm sure others quietly take your advice for their next post and appreciate the help.

I appreciate your efforts, as it helps me help others.

© PG Music Forums