PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud The preferred music genres in the US - 11/29/18 01:09 PM
Recently I was pondering what might be the favorite music genres in the US. We typically see data based on sales, streams or surveys that ask questions like “what music best represents the US.” However, I was interested in the results of a statistically valid survey that asked “what is your preferred music genre.” Additionally, I was not interested in data broken out by ethnicity, age, gender, etc.

I found sparse information until I ran across a CBS News poll done in January of this year (there is a pdf on the net that gives the sample size, margin of error, etc.). The result is surprising — at least to me.

I fully realize that the data can and will be picked apart by disagreeing with how they named the genres and what they left out (Americana, Blues, Indie, Singer Songwriter, etc.) And the biggest caveat is that they polled adults only, i.e., 18 and up.

Regardless I find it interesting; however, I never forget what Disraeli said and Mark Twain quoted : ”There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." smile

Posted By: 90 dB Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 11/29/18 01:33 PM
But...what about Viking Rock????? grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRg_8NNPTD8
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Man! I actually really liked this until the rap thing started at 5:20 or so.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 11/29/18 03:00 PM
J&B,

I found this quite interesting. I think the Country category goes up and down like a see-saw. I still feel that it is still where the Loonies are to be made.

Thanks for posting it.

An aside: BCMA (British Country Music Association) is growing by leaps and bounds. However, our friend Hayley Oliver, four-time nominee for best female Country vocalist, has dropped off of BCMA's list. It's sad that a blind female has never won!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 11/29/18 03:01 PM
This is the first time in over a decade I've even seen jazz on a list.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 11/29/18 03:40 PM
Matt,

Is jazz considered music?

(Hastily ducking for cover - stage left. (chortle))
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 11/29/18 05:07 PM
I see you're back with us, Don. Is that a good thing? (grin)
I'm not surprised that country is #1. Modern country music draws on so many different stylistic influence that there is something for everybody.

I was thinking that rock coming in second was a little surprising but they don't specify weather it is modern rock or classic rock. Also so many different subgenres could fall into the rock category.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 11/29/18 06:52 PM
I'm surprised that Hip Hop/Rap is so low on the list. Most all of the kids in our track listed to Rap, very very loudly I might add. If that is any indication then Hip Hop/Rap should be higher on the list.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 11/29/18 07:01 PM
Popular music is another category that is wide open to interpretation. What is popular music could ignite a spirited discussion.

I think the results can differ dependent on if the question is written or spoken. Written gives the respondent the opportunity to see all the categories in context so the respondent can consolidate sub categories in their mind while if the question is asked out loud the respondent must remember all the categories and will likely respond before all categories are listed.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I'm surprised that Hip Hop/Rap is so low on the list. Most all of the kids in our track listed to Rap, very very loudly I might add. If that is any indication then Hip Hop/Rap should be higher on the list.

That why I wanted to look at it from a perspective of no age brackets. And this survey included only 18 and up. If you sliced out the "right" kid's age range I'm sure it would be very high on their favorites and, of course, if you looked solely at sales it would be high. But this way of looking at it includes many, many, many old farts smile and a, what I learned, rare overall view of the entire population.

Bud
Of course my favourites genres aren't on there but that being said this list is definitely what I expected! grin
Actually looking at this again I'm very surprised that classical is up so high on the list.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 11/29/18 09:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I see you're back with us, Don. Is that a good thing? (grin)

I'm hopelessly addicted to this wonderful bag-o-nuts, Matt, and it's still legal in most states and provinces.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 11/29/18 09:31 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Man! I actually really liked this until the rap thing started at 5:20 or so.

Yeah, but that's Medieval Rap, man! That music makes me want to head for the longboats and start raiding! shocked

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: cchallum Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 11/29/18 09:49 PM
I particularly like how someone pointed out, right here on our BIAB forum if I recall correctly (I don’t recall which thread nor who said it) that the definition of a successful country song is: “three chords and the truth”!! Simplicity and the truth are very likeable and highly ranking characteristics regarding most all things under discussion.....so the popularity of country music is not really that surprising if the above definition is somewhat accurate....at least in my view!!
I can't help but be skeptical about these numbers (classical is more popular than hip hop, which has dominated the charts since the 90s?), and would love to know what percentage of the phone numbers they called were land lines (since I don't know anyone under 50 who has one).

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Will Josef Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 11/30/18 12:36 AM
Kent. I agree with you... I work in that business too.. and it is very easy to make mistakes in this kind of surveys.
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Kent. I agree with you... I work in that business too.. and it is very easy to make mistakes in this kind of surveys.

Obviously polling firms have a lot of vested interests in minimizing mistakes; however they certainly they can be made. FWIW here’s CBS’s fine print regarding this specific poll:

“This poll was conducted by telephone January 10-14, 2018 among a random sample of 1,009 adults nationwide. Data collection was conducted on behalf of CBS News by SSRS of Glen Mills, Pa. Phone numbers were dialed from samples of both standard land-line and cell phones.

The poll employed a random digit dial methodology. For the landline sample, a respondent was randomly selected from all adults in the household. For the cell sample, interviews were conducted with the person who answered the phone.

Interviews were conducted in English and Spanish using live interviewers. The data have been weighted to reflect U.S. Census figures on demographic variables. The error due to sampling for results based on the entire sample could be plus or minus four percentage points. The error for subgroups may be higher and is available by request. The margin of error includes the effects of standard weighting procedures which enlarge sampling error slightly. This poll release conforms to the Standards of Disclosure of the National Council on Public Polls.”
Posted By: Mikke Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 11/30/18 02:43 PM
So, is it ironic that popular music is third?
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 11/30/18 02:58 PM
Hip Hop and Jazz are tied!? Really? Where are all the jazz mega millionaire moguls? There was an industry list last year that was nothing close to this.

Sorry, but that tells me this poll is completely screwed except for country/rock. You need to look at the Forbes list of highest paid entertainers.

Bob

Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Hip Hop and Jazz are tied!? Really? Where are all the jazz mega millionaire moguls? There was an industry list last year that was nothing close to this.

Sorry, but that tells me this poll is completely screwed except for country/rock. You need to look at the Forbes list of highest paid entertainers.

Bob

The poll has nothing to do with sales. That’s why I was intrigued. I tried to make that clear. A small percentage of the population can easily spend a ton more money than a larger percentage.

Bud
Well... I like both kinds of music.

Country as well as Western.

If it ain't country, it ain't music.

All seriousness aside.... Is country music today really country music or has it morphed into some monstrosity of musical mayhem that apparently knows no bounds of decency anymore.... ?

but haven't we had this discussion already?
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 11/30/18 04:38 PM
Yes and I agree completely. Modern country has no soul or very little. It's mostly about pickup trucks, chicks and getting drunk. And not much serious musicianship either. I may be primarily a jazzer but I always liked 70's-80's era country. They told serious stories and sang from the heart.

Bob
Posted By: Charlie McG Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 12/04/18 06:57 PM
Concerning the poll on original post: Last time I looked at Billboard, I don't think they would agree with the poll. Rap/POP would be #1, far and away. Who was CBS polling?
Posted By: Charlie McG Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 12/04/18 07:04 PM
I just checked Billboard. Not one country song in the top 10 of the hot 100.

Originally Posted By: Charlie McG
I just checked Billboard. Not one country song in the top 10 of the hot 100.

Please read my original post. The poll has nothing to do with sales, streams, etc., that’s what drives Billboard and others. The poll is a, well, POLL of preferred genres and not a measure how much money you spent on your preference. That’s what makes it interesting. Of course more $ can be spent on genres that are not as popular in the poll based on the demographics of those that like a certain genre.
Posted By: Charlie McG Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 12/05/18 02:21 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude. I just couldn't believe Country could be the #1 preference for music listeners.
Originally Posted By: Charlie McG
Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude. I just couldn't believe Country could be the #1 preference for music listeners.

No worries! I didn’t take it that way. Also rock and country are within the 4% margin of error so it could go either way. I did find another poll that had close to the same results. I think it all comes down to the pop, rap, hip hop folks spending a ton of money on music.

Cheers,

Bud
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: The preferred music genres in the US - 12/10/18 03:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Well... I like both kinds of music. Country as well as Western.
Kiddin' ain't ye ... you mean: Rock as well as Roll ... F
© PG Music Forums