PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/02/18 01:40 PM
Posted By: DrDan Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/02/18 02:30 PM
Sure would be nice if we could keep all the thread-discussions about this new feature in one place. Even now I am seeing bits and pieces of content talking about this scattered over the many forums. Hard to remember or find who said what and when across all the threads.

Maybe I can help collect them here in one place.

Here is what may become a good thread...

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=505843#Post505843

Posted By: 44kfl Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/02/18 07:04 PM
Awesome!

Truly Awesome!
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/02/18 08:19 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Sure would be nice if we could keep all the thread-discussions about this new feature in one place...

YES ! good idea it needs it's own forum.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/03/18 01:43 AM
This is really amazing!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/03/18 04:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Sure would be nice if we could keep all the thread-discussions about this new feature in one place...

YES ! good idea it needs it's own forum.

I also agree that a unique forum page would be a better way to manage VST items.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/03/18 11:00 AM
Came upon this worrisome comment buried in another thread...
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=506067#Post506067
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09

As for the plugin, the first time I tried it it simply crashed Reaper (and I've had Reaper crash less than a handful of times on huge projects, IIRC, when trying to load something dodgy or incompatible), so I'm not even gonna bother with that feature probably.

Posted By: musiclover Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/03/18 11:13 AM
I think this much desired feature plugin is the way to go, especially for new users and people who have never used biab, but are attracted to using the plugin in their chosen DAW.

Is this going to change the habits of a lifetime though for older users, who are used to opening biab itself, having a nice full screen GUI, and simply render or drag a lot of tracks into their DAW?

Or is the plugin so good that doing it all in the DAW is the way of the future?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/03/18 12:11 PM
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Or is the plugin so good that doing it all in the DAW is the way of the future?

Honestly I think that is what I was hoping for. But alas, the reviews are coming in around the forum threads and initial word is not entirely good. Bugs and limitations... Time will tell.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/03/18 04:45 PM
The multi-riff option looks great.

The only question I've got is where the .wav files are stored. If they are stored in a folder in BiaB, that's no good - I need all the files to live in the project directory.

Does anyone know if the VST allow changing where the .wav files are generated?
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/03/18 06:01 PM
As far as I know it's automatic, so yes I think it needs a set path for Tracks:

Attached picture BiabVST-Set-Tracks-Path.png
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/03/18 06:14 PM
Honestly I think that is what I was hoping for. But alas, the reviews are coming in around the forum threads and initial word is not entirely good. Bugs and limitations... Time will tell.

It's a new product and many users will be utilizing it in many different ways, and possibly finding problems, but I'm sure as issues are identified they will be resolved as quickly as possible. Too much effort went into this for it not to be successful.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/03/18 07:17 PM
I’m not sure yet, David. I take as a guide for now the way Drag ‘n Drop was introduced. It took us awhile to figure out which DAWs required files to remain in the BIAB Drop folder (which could fill up fast) and which were copied in full into a project folder in the DAW (which like you I agree is the better approach).
Posted By: jford Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/03/18 09:12 PM
Hey, David -

The generated files are stored under your BIAB folder in "C:\BB\BBPlugin\SavedTracks".

You'll need to probably clean it out every once in awhile, depending upon how your DAW handles the WAVs.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/03/18 11:38 PM
Thanks John!

Now if this were the old SONAR Platinum (or certain other DAWs), wouldn't it copy those files such that they could be erased almost immediately from this folder?
Posted By: jford Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/04/18 01:15 AM
Sonar has a setting to move all audio files to your project folder, as does Reaper. Other DAW's may leave the content where they sit. You would have to look at the documentation for whichever DAW is being used as to whether you need to clean out the DAW folder, or somehow move the files to better suited location.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/04/18 01:29 AM
Originally Posted By: jford
The generated files are stored under your BIAB folder in "C:\BB\BBPlugin\SavedTracks".

You'll need to probably clean it out every once in awhile, depending upon how your DAW handles the WAVs.

Thanks!

I'll check Reaper's settings to see how to automatically move audio files. I've no doubt seen the setting, I've just never paid attention to it.
Posted By: drutgat Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/04/18 01:31 AM
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
This is really amazing!

Let me tune your vocal with Melodyne for a Fiverr

First song with BIAB for windows video course available

Hi,
I can successfully navigate to your 'Let me tune your vocal...' link, but I get a 404 No Page Found when I click on 'First Song with BIAB for windows video course available'.

Please post here when the link is working.

Many thanks.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/04/18 01:51 AM
You can try making SavedTracks a symlink and point it to the folder where you want the tracks saved.

https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/System-Enhancements/Portable-Symbolic-Link-Creator.shtml
Posted By: dbarrow Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/04/18 12:26 PM
Is there an aax version for Protools? How does this work with Protools? Also, it would be good to someday have some way of working with 48khx RealTracks, since many projects are at 48khz.
Posted By: Charlie McG Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/04/18 12:57 PM
I think the plugin will be great with BiaB 2019. I always hated to get out of my DAW and go get another reworking of the song. It will make it so much easier to work with what I play and what Biab furnishes. Have it ordered and waiting on the drive.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/04/18 01:30 PM
ps Unless and until a new forum is created, comments and questions about the VST Plugin would probably be better in the main BIAB for Windows Forum.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/05/18 01:47 AM
Originally Posted By: drutgat
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
This is really amazing!

Let me tune your vocal with Melodyne for a Fiverr

First song with BIAB for windows video course available

Hi,
I can successfully navigate to your 'Let me tune your vocal...' link, but I get a 404 No Page Found when I click on 'First Song with BIAB for windows video course available'.

Please post here when the link is working.

Many thanks.

Hi! I sent a pm but link should work now.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/05/18 12:06 PM
Hi folks.
I was among first people to cheer when VST was anounced.
The stability issues did not bother me much, as I understand it is initial release and abnormal things will "happen"

However, what saddened me is that when you open previously arranged composition SGU from BIAB in VST, it drops all the bar changes, rests, stops, pushes...pretty much stripping everything but chord sheet and green/blue markers...

I think the pride of BIAB comes from motto that everything is "tweakable"...if this is the right way to put it.

Maybe my VST plugin version has bugs, that is why it does not import bar changes, etc through VST...

Not really sure what to think of it. Would appriciate a comment or two.

Thank you!
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/05/18 12:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Hi folks.
I was among first people to cheer when VST was anounced.
The stability issues did not bother me much, as I understand it is initial release and abnormal things will "happen"

However, what saddened me is that when you open previously arranged composition SGU from BIAB in VST, it drops all the bar changes, rests, stops, pushes...pretty much stripping everything but chord sheet and green/blue markers...

I think the pride of BIAB comes from motto that everything is "tweakable"...if this is the right way to put it.

Maybe my VST plugin version has bugs, that is why it does not import bar changes, etc through VST...

Thank you!

I'm sorry (but not surprised) to hear this. I recall being disappointed to discover that Realband dropped things from tracks when opening a BIAB song (I think frozen status is ignored if I recall correctly).

When you make a new product that uses your files, whose format you control completely, you should not drop out settings or things like this.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/05/18 01:28 PM
Rustyspoon, I don’t recall seeing this reported. I’ll pass it along to the developers to study further.
Originally Posted By: dbarrow
Is there an aax version for Protools? How does this work with Protools? Also, it would be good to someday have some way of working with 48khx RealTracks, since many projects are at 48khz.

Yes, an AAX version of the plugin is included.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/06/18 10:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Hi folks.

Thank you!

Sorry to hear this.
Posted By: profdraper Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/15/18 06:26 PM
VST DAW plugin (Win 10) does not function correctly as described; https://www.pgmusic.com/support.bbplugin.htm

44.1khz & 48khz sessions - would also appreciate more detailed info about sample rate support for the plug.

ProTools 2018.12 Ultimate: AAX plug is correctly installed & scanned: ProTools cannot find or load the plug at all.

Nuendo 8.3: exactly as per ProTools (above). Does not load.

Cubase 10: loads plug, but many failings contrary to the advertised features, eg:
- does not pick up the DAW tempo & so can only be set manually (real locked sync, doubtful);
- after rendering tracks, does not output sound at all, has no preferences for routing sound though the DAW main bus etc. (sample rate related?)
- Does drag & drop files to the timeline, but the tempo sync tends to drift over time.

Ableton Live Studio 10: exactly as per Cubase (above).

Finally, why is this a VST2 plug? that format development now discontinued by Steinberg. Surely in 2018 this should have been released as a VST3 plug, not the least of which should have been more success with routing MIDI, tempo and the rest.

Looking forward to this plugin being fixed and fully operational in the near future: was the only real reason I paid the upgrade price for BiaB 2019.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/15/18 07:04 PM
Just hang in there as things are getting fix.
I tried to send you a PM (not scomo) but it must be turned off.
Posted By: Mixed Jam Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/15/18 11:49 PM
VST DAW plugin (Win 7 Enterprise) does not function correctly as described; https://www.pgmusic.com/support.bbplugin.htm

Purchased Band in A Box 2019: upgraded for two main reasons:

1. the ability to play 6/8 time. Now I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the 6/8-time signature is still being truncated. It is not a true 6/8-time signature because each bar still adds up to 4 beats -as in previous versions.

2. To be able to use Band in A Box in my DAW (Pro Tools 12).

ProTools HD 12.5: Unable to see anything related to Band In A Box in the Pro Tools plugins: AAX plug is correctly installed & scanned: ProTools cannot find or load the plug at all.

Have now spent many hours trying to get this plugin to work only to discover from the Forums that there is an obvious problem.
I have been using Band in a Box for as long as I can remember – without many issues. However, the two issues outlined above suggest that this software upgrade is not being delivered as promised.

The DAW option was a major deciding factor for me to purchase this rather expensive upgrade and I am seriously thinking about asking for a refund unless this can be rectified soon. This is a major deal breaker for me and I am very disappointed.

How to re-scan AAX plug-ins for Pro Tools
Windows (sorry Mac users)
Navigate to:
Pro Tools 10: Program Files (x86)\Avid\Pro Tools\DAE\DAE Prefs
Pro Tools 11 and above: \Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Pro Tools
Delete the file:
Pro Tools 10: Installed plug-ins
Pro Tools 11 and above: InstalledAAXPlugins
Re-open Pro Tools
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Band-in-a-Box 2019 DAW VST Plugin - 12/16/18 12:16 AM
There is a beta being tested to fix the the AAX not being found in ProTools.
Genuine 6/8 and with the Biabplugin now it is needed to match the DAW's time signature changes.
You really need to hang in there as mentioned as there is a lot going on behind the scenes.
© PG Music Forums