PG Music Home
After an MS auto update, the icon for the onscreen keyboard disappeared from the taskbar. I am now required to launch the keyboard from the 'settings' dialog.

I rely on the onscreen keyboard and it has become very difficult to type because it covers the critical areas of the screen and will not stick.

I seem to recall being able to drag the icon to the taskbar but nothing seems to drag.

It DOES launch on startup however.

The keyboard icon in the taskbar does launch a big keyboard that I don't recognize and have never used.
Don

I'm still on version 1803 so this may be different if you have version 1809 (which I refuse to let MS update to on my PC - its a very questionable release too many issues - MS itself keeps pulling it back [TWICE now and its almost time for 1903 - the spring release!] but that doesn't help folks recover any damage left in its wake but OK I'm off soapbox)

Not sure what your situation is currently but try this if you can. In the "Type here to search" window type "on screen keyboard" and you should see "On-Screen Keyboard (desktop app)" appear, but don't run it - right-click on it instead and there should be a "Pin to taskbar" option.

If not then select the "Open file location" then the system shortcut to the "On-Screen Keyboard" should be there - again another right-click on that and select "Pin to taskbar."

If that fails right click on shortcut again and do another "Open File Location" and you should see "osk.exe" (if you can't find it any other way osk.exe is in C:\windows\systme32 folder) try pinning that to taskbar.

Also with each option I would first set it to Run As administrator

Good Luck
Larry
Larry,

The update has installed a very inferior OSK so I can't drag another icon to the taskbar. The new default OSK is a cruel joke.

I'm reading a lot of complaints on the internet so, just maybe, I will find a roll-back option.

I would not have allowed the update if I had known of this problem.

Thanks for your help.
this will sound stupid but MAYBE, again maybe all you need is the old (assuming one of these is what was changed): both are int C:\windows\system32

OSK.exe (date modified 10/21/2018 and 609 KB) or

its .dll (OSKsupport.dll date modified 4/11/2018 10 KB)

if you want I can try and send them to you PM me and we'll work out how

Larry
Also I assume you've seen this and it may or may not help especially seems it goes back to issues starting with LAST (1803) update to windows

https://windowsreport.com/on-screen-keyboard-not-working-windows-10/

Larry
© PG Music Forums