PG Music Home
Posted By: Planobilly 2019 Grammy awards...what did you think? - 02/11/19 01:55 AM
Hi,

Best Grammy show I have seen in years. I thought Jlo doing the Motown segment was great. Alicia Keys playing the piano and singing was just fantastic.

What did you think?

Cheers,

Billy
We didn’t watch it but upon reading the results it appeared to be a good night for the ladies and for Americana music. Yea!

J&B
Was that on?

I was watching the Walking Dead.
I watched a bit of it while I was visiting my mom's last night. Honestly, I'm a young guy (born in early 90's) and I think I only knew one or two of the nominees. I'm not a huge Grammy follower, or a follower of any award show though. There was some good performances though!
Posted By: DrDan Re: 2019 Grammy awards...what did you think? - 02/11/19 01:04 PM
Sorry, less than impressed. But what do I know.
Haven't watched in 20 years. It's not about music anymore. Racist, sexist, angry poetry spoken over loops is NOT music. No matter how many copies it sells. And that's all the Grammys are now is money.

What I wish is that they would take away all the chrome and neon and just give the awards. The show would last an hour and that would be too much. I have no need to see rappers perform.
When they dropped anything resembling jazz and Latin jazz from the broadcasts, I dropped them. They still give awards, like the excellent Dafnis Prieto Big Band 'Back to the Sunset' but is this part of the show?
Posted By: DrDan Re: 2019 Grammy awards...what did you think? - 02/11/19 03:59 PM
The best new song Childish Gambino - "This is America"!
Seriously ? - nuff said.
I agree there Dan. I guess the pre-warmup commercials weren't interesting enough to get me to watch the show but when I saw the "Best Song" winner this morning, I just had to have a listen. That's the best song of the year!!?? Your're kidding!!! Of all the musicians, of all the songs...that's the best??!!! Come on....tell me it ain't so...please!

Jeff
Amen to that!

Add what Matt commented on, with respect to jazz, and that's not even half of the reasons I don't watch, or care about the Grammies or most (actually all) awards shows.

Larry
I was a bit surprised by what looks like a general dislike by so many people for the Grammy awards.I don't follow it but I have a personal friend who gets nominated from time to time. So I have that connection.

For sure I find Kacey Musgraves Golden Hour does not fit into my concept of country. I don't personally care much for the Rap and Hip Hop genre, but it is a sizable part of the music business. Those folks deserve recognition as much as anyone else. As far as it being about money, it has always been about money one way or another.

I also wish there was more jazz and a greater variety of styles in general.

After I read the post here, I did a bit of looking around on the music news feeds to see what others had to say. I discovered the complaints that Jennifer Lopez, and not an African-American artist did the Motown tribute. That is beyond belief. So now non African-Americans can not sing Motown!!

We have truly become a polarized angry disconnected group of people in this country.

Cheers,

Billy
I haven't had a chance to watch them or read anything about them. I'll have to catch some highlights later.
© PG Music Forums