PG Music Home
Posted By: Planobilly Saturday evening in the Florida Keys - 02/16/19 10:52 PM
Hi guys,

Some days I just got to get out of the house. I get tired of my own recordings...lol I want to drag the custom Mesa I built and go make some loud noise...lol

Vic of "Brothers Of Others" invited me to come jam with them at Gilbert's in Key Largo. Big club on the water under the big bridge going into Key largo. Big crowd with money to spend. Fun place to play.

They are a really popular band here in south Florida and know some of my original material. They also put up with dealing with someone three times their age.It's fun for an old man like me to get to play with the younger generation.

This is one of their originals and the first one we played.

https://soundcloud.com/user-934526906/what-im-here-for-1

We closed with this.

https://youtu.be/PiQZW8r_7bM

Cheers,

Billy
Wow! Those cats are good. I remember the two and three piece bands I was in. Lots of fun. Easy to get hi paying gigs when you can put out a sound like that with three people. wink
nice.....

I loved the 3 piece bands I was in. Really makes you have to learn how to hold up your part of the bargain on stage.

So... did you set in on a few songs or gig the whole night with them?
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Saturday evening in the Florida Keys - 02/17/19 07:38 PM
A few songs on the last set...to damn old to stand up and play for four hours...lol

To begin with, I don't know all their originals and also not all the covers they play.I watch the bass player and listen when I am not sure. I try to play what I think the keyboard parts should be and rhythm guitar. I don't get out front unless ask too and I am dead sure I know what I am doing or we are playing one of my originals. It's their show and their band and I am just a guest. I have to limit my stuff to styles that fit the gig they are playing. Last night was loud hard rock commercial music, something I don't do a lot of to begin with.

I am good friends with the guys in the band. Sometimes I get to play with them when we can play most anything we like. The gig last night is sometimes like that...but not last night.

We sometimes try new stuff out but we have to make it work when you are in that commercial situation. They play around 180 gigs per year so there is not very much time to get together and rehearse anything.

I miss living in LA where I had many more musician friends and could play seven nights a week if I wanted too.

Cheers,

Billy
Shades of Grand Funk Railroad to me with their closing song. Tight band and their originals are superb.
That sounds like a really fun experience!
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
A few songs on the last set...to damn old to stand up and play for four hours...lol

To begin with, I don't know all their originals and also not all the covers they play.I watch the bass player and listen when I am not sure. I try to play what I think the keyboard parts should be and rhythm guitar. I don't get out front unless ask too and I am dead sure I know what I am doing or we are playing one of my originals. It's their show and their band and I am just a guest. I have to limit my stuff to styles that fit the gig they are playing. Last night was loud hard rock commercial music, something I don't do a lot of to begin with.

I am good friends with the guys in the band. Sometimes I get to play with them when we can play most anything we like. The gig last night is sometimes like that...but not last night.

We sometimes try new stuff out but we have to make it work when you are in that commercial situation. They play around 180 gigs per year so there is not very much time to get together and rehearse anything.

I miss living in LA where I had many more musician friends and could play seven nights a week if I wanted too.

Cheers,

Billy

That's very cool. Yep, and the right way to do it.
© PG Music Forums