PG Music Home
Posted By: Larry Kehl for new (and older) SSD buyers - 04/01/19 02:49 PM
just an FYI for those that want FAST audio/mid/mgu/sgu/, etc. files .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rga2N50Ek8o

Larry
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: for new (and older) SSD buyers - 04/01/19 03:33 PM
Larry, a nice one.
Here is the thing about realtracks generation from my experience.
I ran some tests from a spinner hard drive and 3 different SSDs (different manufacturers/speed)...

If you get an older Samsung 860 evo (ssd), or similar or above in specs, I doubt there will be any significant improvement in time it takes for RT/RD generation.

I argued for some time, that in my opinion, if PG team makes an option of loading RT's you are working with directly to memory, it should speedup things at least double fold. Otherwise, spending money on top of the line SSD is like putting a Maybach engine on farm tractor.... Just my opinion smile
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: for new (and older) SSD buyers - 04/01/19 04:40 PM
Larry,

It is an interesting video for sure. One large data bottleneck the video does not mention is the drive interface controller.

Older or entry level computers likely have a first generation SATA controller chip on the computer motherboard or drive interface card. First generation SATA has a top data transfer speed of 3 GB per second while the second generation transfer speed is 6 GB per second.

Storage memory installed in a PCIe or M.2 motherboard slot can have direct access to the motherboard and cpu data bus and achieve transfer speeds higher than 40 GB per second.

The Thunderbolt3 port interface and newest USB 3 port interface specifications both have 40 GB per second data transfer top ends.

My laptop motherboard has a first generation SATA controller so data transfer is limited to 3 GB even though the SSD can handle 6 GB.

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: for new (and older) SSD buyers - 04/01/19 06:54 PM
Jim,
you are absolutely right in general sense, but the title of the post talks about "FAST audio/mid/mgu/sgu/, etc"
I would guesstimate that your 3GB/s controller would perform very close to my 6gb/s or even close to T.bolt 3 as far as BIAB RT generation goes. They guy in the video talked about this. The particular speed is closely related to specific working scenario. BIAB re-generations is that very special scenario smile

No matter how you view this, SSD's are the NOW and near future. So far I am very happy with them. I replaced a couple of "spinners" on my work computers and using one in my music computer. The speeds can not compare to the older hard drives. This video is excellent for someone who is looking to upgrade.

But still, I think PG have to find a way to speed generations up a bit smile
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: for new (and older) SSD buyers - 04/01/19 10:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Jim,
you are absolutely right in general sense, but the title of the post talks about "FAST audio/mid/mgu/sgu/, etc"
I would guesstimate that your 3GB/s controller would perform very close to my 6gb/s or even close to T.bolt 3 as far as BIAB RT generation goes. They guy in the video talked about this. The particular speed is closely related to specific working scenario. BIAB re-generations is that very special scenario smile

No matter how you view this, SSD's are the NOW and near future. So far I am very happy with them. I replaced a couple of "spinners" on my work computers and using one in my music computer. The speeds can not compare to the older hard drives. This video is excellent for someone who is looking to upgrade.

But still, I think PG have to find a way to speed generations up a bit smile
I agree with you 100% about the video and the regenerations.

The video is informative and interesting. The script is tightly written and the narrator is excellent. There is a lot of information given in each sentence. I looked at a few other videos in the series and all are of the same quality. Larry has a knack of finding really good videos.

While viewing the video I thought not mentioning that the drive controller can limit data transfer performance to be an incredible oversight. It's sort of like the "your results may vary" legalese at the end of many commercials and the small print in the bottom of some print advertisements.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: for new (and older) SSD buyers - 04/02/19 02:10 PM
Just skimmed above but the point of video I thought was, and is, independent of controller type (SATA vice PCIe, and note M.2 is really just a form factor not a controller type)

the Point was there is a need for an industry standard of specs for SS DRIVEs themselves so that buyers can do an "informed" comparison of:

1. Mfg model(s)performance specs by use case (lots of big files, lots of small files, etc. and when new and empty vice and mid-life half full or MORE)

versus

2. price

no more complex than that

Larry
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: for new (and older) SSD buyers - 04/03/19 08:47 AM
Not sure how accurate this site is, but it sure seems interesting.
You can add column for sequential mixed file read/write. Seems they base their stuff on user finding / real world performance:

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/
© PG Music Forums