PG Music Home
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Notre Dame... - 04/15/19 06:40 PM
Just want to voice my support for French forumers... It is very sad what happened to Notre Dame. Very painful and shocking loss...for most of us.
Stay strong.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Notre Dame... - 04/15/19 06:52 PM
I just found out about this on my lunch break and it's so upsetting. From what I read it sounds like they were doing renovations in the spire and think the fire is linked to the renos they were doing. I can't event imagine how Paris is feeling right now about the loss of the Cathedral. They're saying that by the time the fire is under control that there likely won't be anything left. It's a very sad day for France and the rest of the World.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Notre Dame... - 04/16/19 09:33 AM
I feel badly not only for the French, but for the world. This was a piece of history, of civilization, of dedication, and of human accomplishments.

It will most likely be rebuilt, but it will never be the same.

Notes
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Notre Dame... - 04/16/19 09:40 AM
So sad. This has been weighing on my mind these past two days. I worked for a French company for many years and have spent quite a bit of time in the country.

I have always been fascinated by the Gothic cathedrals of Notre Dame and, to the south, Chartres. The history of these two cathedrals from the invasion of the Vikings, to Napoleon through the WW II is amazing, not to mention the artifacts, the stain glass and the actual construction methods used.

Its interesting to read that the actual timbers that were lost in the fire composed some 13,000 oak tress that were over 300 years old at the time they were cut down. At the time, they cleared over 50 acres of oak trees...each one hand-hewn!

This fire is a great world heritage loss and one that personally saddens me.

Jeff
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Notre Dame... - 04/16/19 03:52 PM
Great damage is done, but I was somewhat relieved to see that most of facade / structure of this amazing gem of art & architectural history survived. With so much support coming in, I am sure France will start restoration process very soon.
Posted By: John-Luke Re: Notre Dame... - 04/16/19 04:36 PM
Thanks all for your support.

Here, in France, we are were touched because Notre Dame is a highly esteemed heritage from the MIddle Age ans is beloved by every people. It was built in 1163 and now is 856 years old !!!
Our President Macron said: we will rebuild Notre Dame.

Hope and Peace !
Posted By: jazzsax Re: Notre Dame... - 04/16/19 10:05 PM
I extremely moved listening to the carols being sung in the streets of Paris last night.
Peace.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Notre Dame... - 04/17/19 10:36 AM
I was really affected when I heard of the news. It's always sad to hear when things like that happened to treasured heritage structures. I'm pretty thankful it didn't completely vanish at least.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Notre Dame... - 04/17/19 08:17 PM
In the days that followed it has been very interesting to see the conversations that have sprung up, all the big companies that have pledged money to reconstruction, and the time frame in which it will take to rebuild. All very interesting.
© PG Music Forums