PG Music Home
this is not an attack on Windows 10 or MS or spreading doom and gloom - just a heads to those here who might not stay on top of tech news - that's all (fore warned is fore armed)

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3390733/windows-10-may-2019-update-bug-prevents-the-upgrade-unless-sd-and-usb-devices-are-removed.html

Larry

Great 'heads-up' Larry, Thanks!
I had a Windows update screw up my computer in the early days of Win10. Fortunately I have a good back-up, disk-imaging routine.

I back up daily and have at least 3 months of images on an external drive. Since I use imaging instead of just back-up software, it backs up and/or restores the OS as well as the apps and data.

This has been a 'lifesaver' for me more than once.

I also do a separate daily backup of data with another app (MS SyncToy). That way if I have to revert to a former disk image, after the disk restore I can update the old restored data to the new SyncToy backup.

All this backing up takes about a half dozen clicks at the end of the day.

Insights and incites by Notes
I guess it must be really difficult for highly paid software engineers to query your current drive assignments, capture that, and then properly reassign them, eh?!?

I have very specific drive assignments (that I've used since I'm pretty sure Windows 3.x), so this feature isn't something new.

Sure, I can go in and reassign them manually afterwards, but I shouldn't have to.

And it said USB devices, so what about people with USB mice and keyboards?

This seems like something that should be trivial and should not have happened in the first place. It seems that in the enthusiasm for new features, they forgot about what should be core operating system functionality.

My $0.02 worth, and losing value every day.
John

Agreed.

This caught my eye because like you and others I have multiple, internally installed, SDD's and HDD'S and my config uses multiple NON-sequential drive letters C, D, E, H, Y and Z, with F being Bluray player/burner.

In my case, like all my past Win 10 Pro updates I will not be installing this Feature update (aka Spring '19 update) until after NEXT feature update (aka Fall '19) and it's been pushed out to Business (aka industry) as final, which usually takes almost an additional 6 months, anyway.

Yes, MS will probably fix this before final push to the MS Win 10 Home Beta (and Pro users who don't delay a at least a little) testers, but you never know.

If MS wants a truly useful Feature update they should reinstate the Boot time SAFE mode. I use EasyBCD to give me a Safe Mode boot time option and as Insider I have suggested this EVERY time I give MS feedback but it obviously goes into the virtual circular file every time.

Larry
Thanks, Larry. And thanks to you, Notes, for the addtional information. I'm one who is extra careful with externals,
having been warned they are sometimes used to carry malware.
Consequently, I plug in to USB, use it, and eject. Sometimes I don't, and walk away. That's when I am wondering if MS's rather intrusive auto updates could present a problem? Sometimes I'll look over at the PC and the download has already happened frown
It raises the question, what about the BiaB on the external?
Hi all

This silly sort of bug just should not exist its just basics.
Nearly as bad as the last one removing peoples’ files. I don’t know what it’s coming to.
Potentially this will cause havoc to BIAB users when they store their Realtracks and Drums on external usb drives or run BIAB from such a drive.
Stand by your beds support !!!
Lets hope they get it sorted mad mad
Mike
I too have external drives with specific non-sequential letters. Plus I have a USB mouse, so if and when MS fixes the error, I'll get the update, until then they can nag me all they want.

Notes
From what I've read, if the device doesn't have 32 GB HDD minimum it won't be getting the update either. May affect some tablets etc especially.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-pc-with-under-32gb-storage-no-1903-update-for-you-says-microsoft/
Notes, just an FYI if your only concern is EXTERNAL drives and their letters that's easy and not an issue even If MS doesn't correct this before it gets pushed to you

as always do Boot drive image first, then
1) unplug the USB drives,
2) then update,
3) after update replug USB drives,
4) if letters are wrong just use "Disk Management" to reassign letters the way they were.

Actually if I (or anyone with internal drives) were going to do this update, and I (we) didn't trust MS to fix it first (and they probably will, at some point - LOL) I would open PC and simply unplug all the data cables (no need to unplug power connectors) on all my drives, except obviously the boot (C drive) and pull out any extra M.2 drives (unless the only M.2 is the boot drive - leave it in) then after update simply reconnect all data cables and reinstall any extra M.2's and if drive letters wrong then like with USB drives just use Disk Management to re-map back to what I/you want

Granted users should NOT have to get this "involved" but it is what it is

Larry
Thanks. I know how to do Disk Management, it's a bit of a PITA to find, as they keep changing where to look for it, so I made a shortcut to it.

Notes
Bob

COPY but again I think that will corrected in actual "Spring" Feature release so probably not even a concern

(however, what else will be broke, or that may affect niche communities, is TBD)

Larry
One thing I have noticed about my new WIN 10, I can throw this thing into an overburdened state, ( using the same music composition program I have always used on WIN 7,)
with seeming little effort. The symptoms mimic a computer loaded up with junk, but that's not it. It is a fairly new install with more transparency than I am used to, in terms of free space, etc. I have processing power.
You would think after all these years, that basic functionality would go like lightning, and, really, we have seen great improvement. But still, renaming, rendering, and pushing files around should not trigger a freak-out. They have not in the past.
I am just wondering what these constant interruptions to update are all about. I have yet to run a test, but have run the cleaners and security after updates and sense there sure is a lot of action with Edge and Explorer, both of which I renamed "disable."
Another suspicion is that the systems designers are under so much pressure to keep pace with data mining, tracking, surveillance, you know, those money and power makers, that they have let basic functionality slip away from them.
© PG Music Forums