PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud What would we do..... - 05/01/19 02:57 PM
If double negatives were not allowed in song writing?

Bud (too much coffee musing...)
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: What would we do..... - 05/01/19 03:39 PM
Huh....(while rubbing chin with chording hand and a pensive look on my face)

You got me thinking and I had to google the accurate definition to refresh (what's left of) my memory.
If I become irrationally compelled to look through all my song drivel to see if I'm guilty I'm blaming you. smile

Back to it.....
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: What would we do..... - 05/01/19 04:29 PM
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966

...You got me thinking and I had to google the accurate definition to refresh (what's left of) my memory.
If I become irrationally compelled to look through all my song drivel to see if I'm guilty I'm blaming you. smile

Back to it.....

Hahaha!

Imagine a song world where there would be no "Don't come around here no more" or "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing" or "Ain't Wastin' Time No More" or "She didn't say nothing at all" or "We Don’t Need No Education" or "Ain't No Sunshine" or "Ain't No Mountain High Enough " or "I can't get no satisfaction" or "Don't Cry No Tears" and such permutations on and on...

A large percentage of rock, pop, country and nearly all blues would be toast smile
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: What would we do..... - 05/01/19 04:59 PM
We wouldn't not find a way express ourselves.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: What would we do..... - 05/01/19 05:00 PM
Hahahaha! When I opened this thread, I was listening to "Ain't Never Gonna Break My Stride"...

...spooky!

Yes, double negatives can be pretty useful smile
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: What would we do..... - 05/01/19 05:25 PM
I don't not agree with you, Bud.
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: What would we do..... - 05/01/19 05:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
[quote=chulaivet1966] A large percentage of rock, pop, country and nearly all blues would be toast smile

Chuckle.

Oh...by the way....don't send me no flowers.....:)
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: What would we do..... - 05/01/19 08:27 PM
It never occurred to me that double negatives were so prevalent. We're taught not to use them in every day speech but it seems to make some really good zingers for lyrics.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: What would we do..... - 05/04/19 08:59 AM
What we do if double negatives weren't allowed in everyday speech? We wouldn't say nothing at times.

It seems to me that in the English language, there are many times where a double negative doesn't really mean a positive, but instead intensifies the negative. Of course this makes it very confusing for people learning English as a second language.

Insights and incites by Notes
© PG Music Forums