PG Music Home
Posted By: pianowillbebach Experiences with ScanScore anyone? - 05/11/19 11:45 AM
Does anyone of you know ScanScore? Is it worth the money? I just received a $20 voucher for it, but I don't know if it's a good deal. The product demo looks nice and it seems to do the job. But in the demo you can't export, so I don't know if it works with BIAB. I'd love to hear your experiences - so maybe I'll just bite the bullet if I don't hear from anyone.

Edit: here's the link: https://scan-score.com/en/
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Experiences with ScanScore anyone? - 05/11/19 05:16 PM
Originally Posted By: pianowillbebach
Does anyone of you know ScanScore? Is it worth the money? I just received a $20 voucher for it, but I don't know if it's a good deal. The product demo looks nice and it seems to do the job. But in the demo you can't export, so I don't know if it works with BIAB. I'd love to hear your experiences - so maybe I'll just bite the bullet if I don't hear from anyone.

Edit: here's the link: https://scan-score.com/en/

I haven't used the product so cannot vouch for its abilities, however, it states that you can export to Music XML, and BiaB can import that format so it should be (reasonably) compatible with BiaB.

The promo states "a free trial version including all ScanScore features is available now", so if you can't export, then all features are actually not available...
Posted By: jford Re: Experiences with ScanScore anyone? - 05/14/19 10:47 PM
I just got it (because I'm a registered user of Forte Premium, I got ScanScore Pro for $40 versus $159). I'm going to try it this weekend. I'll post back my experience with it.
Thanks for the info about XML!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Experiences with ScanScore anyone? - 05/18/19 09:06 PM
I fooled a little with the trial. I was impressed with the attention given to tools to correct the scan. They made more sense to me than those in similar software.

I couldn’t try the Music XML export because it was the trial version.

I’ll just mention that the Music XML standard is a phenomenal concept but is not always implemented properly. The smallest error in the code can sometimes abort the process with no clue as to what is wrong. If this occurs, I've found that the free MuseScore is often the best at finding the problem. Correcting it, though, can require editing text scripts.
Posted By: jford Re: Experiences with ScanScore anyone? - 05/18/19 11:29 PM
I got it installed, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Will try tomorrow.
If you get a chance, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. I'm finding it better than other similar products, but still need to edit.
Posted By: whatdebussey Re: Experiences with ScanScore anyone? - 07/21/19 01:41 PM
Seems like it's worth a shot if it can export to BiaB and it's got decent editing capabilities. Higher tiers seem a bit pricey though - how did you snag the discount?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Experiences with ScanScore anyone? - 07/21/19 01:55 PM
I think John (jford, above) has Forte so they offered him the steep discount. I remember seeing something pretty good, not quite as generous, but that was months ago.

And from this thread I learned it’s hard to type ‘jford’ without it flipping to ‘fjord’. I’ll bet you’ve lived with that for decades, John.
Posted By: jford Re: Experiences with ScanScore anyone? - 07/22/19 01:13 PM
Matt -

Actually, I used to go by fjord for awhile (I had a band jersey with that on the back), especially given my Norwegian heritage.

Yes, I did get a good price for Forte and ultimately ScanScore Pro. Unfortunately, life has gotten in the way of playing around with it (I tried initially, but it was one of those times when Windows wanted to do updates, all the apps wanted updates, internet seemed slow, and I don't know, probably sunspots, too smile ). Anyway, I will get back to it, as I see it as a great feature. Once I do, I will definitely report back. Especially the smartphone app, that lets you take a picture of a score and send it to ScanScore for processing.
Posted By: woozie38 Re: Experiences with ScanScore anyone? - 04/25/20 05:36 AM
I bought the pro version of this software which cost US$119 or AU$201.58. Expensive, but decided to buy because I am a music arranger. Mostly for brass band with around 20 to 30 pages of score and 18 or 19 player parts. So far I have had little success. I need to scan pdf saved files of scores and edit them to correct scanning errors and to transpose to higher or lower keys to suit the cornet section. I have found Scanscore support to be of no help at all even though the purchase date was 14th of March. I'm still waiting for a reply to my last of many appeals for help. Will keep you all informed & updated as it progresses. Cheers, Geoff
Posted By: Auntiejack56 Re: Experiences with ScanScore anyone? - 07/11/20 12:24 AM
Hi,
I am not proceeding with Scanscore because the trial version indicates that it frequently interprets long stemmed notes as bar lines, which then have to be fixed. I've compared exactly the same input image using other music scanners, and no other software does this - they always pick up these notes as notes.

Jack
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Experiences with ScanScore anyone? - 07/11/20 01:02 AM
I’ve recently been using it to convert PDF sheet music to Music XML. I’m getting good enough results to keep using it.

I have not had that bar line problem. I sometimes get extra notes or rests in a bar, but they are easily fixed in my notation programs.
© PG Music Forums