PG Music Home
This blog post attempts to answer questions I get quite often."What version of Band-in-a-Box should I buy? Should I choose the entry-level Pro version or should you go all out and buy the Audiophile Edition? Should I buy the Mac or the PC version? What add-ons should I buy?"

The quick answer is "it depends!"

Read the blog

Comments and feedback is, as always, appreciated!
Great blog to start my day Joanne. Your blog is certainly a good place to refer folks who want to know what BIAB is all about. BIAB/RB is easily the best kept 'real' secret for the music student, teacher, hobbyist, performer, composer and professionals. There's something for every level of music lover. You are a great ambassador.

Well done.

I would add that if you are a Mac user you already have GarageBand that is a decent DAW and is installed free on Macs. $199 for Logic Pro X gets you a top tier DAW with many hundred of sounds, effects and loops. And that cost includes lifetime upgrades including the above mentioned add ons. You’ll never pay another dime.

FWIW

Bud
Thank you Charlie and Bud.

Bud, do you mind if I post your comment on my blog?
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper

Your are more than welcome to.

Bud
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Bud

Thanks Bud. I have done that! Would you perhaps like to write a guest blog post for me on how you use Mac BIAB with garage band and logic? That would completely awesome! I am always on the lookout for guest blog posts....
I always recommend that people buy as far up the food chain as they can afford. It does have a 100% money back guarantee.
Yeah herb, I usually do the same.
Great Blog post, Joanne!

I will say it again. I really wish PGMusic would rename BIAB Pro to something else. It causes all sorts of confusion. Folks order it thinking they're getting the top tier product at a reduced price, and then get disappointed when it's not that at all. In fact, it's the "Entry" level version.

For all my other pieces of audio software, the "Pro" or "Professional" version is the top end version that does include all the bells and whistles. I've got MultiTrack Studio Pro, Mixcraft Pro Studio, Samplitude Pro Studio, etc. These are not the entry level versions.

Many of those vendors then have a mid-range version called "Artist" or something similar (Presonus uses "Artist" this with Studio One, as does Steinberg with Cubase).

For entry level basic functionality, it should be something more like "Elements" (used by Steinberg) or "Prime" (used by Presonus).

Avid uses "First" for their basic system, then just the product name (e.g. ProTools or Sibelius) for the mid-tier, then "Ultimate" for the top of the line.

Native Instruments calls the lower tier of the "Symphony Series" as "Essentials".

So, when I see "Pro", I'm not going to think "Basic", because the rest of the market place doesn't. Words like "Elements", "Prime", "First", or "Essentials" much better convey what BIAB Pro really is.

Okay, off my soapbox now.
Hi John. You are so right! I never really thought about that. I always just go straight for the Ultra Pak. People are often confused over the "Pro" pack when they open one of my backing tracks and dont have the style that I have used and say "but I bought the Pro version".

Bud

Thanks Bud. I have done that! Would you perhaps like to write a guest blog post for me on how you use Mac BIAB with garage band and logic? That would completely awesome! I am always on the lookout for guest blog posts....

My usage of BiaB is limited to generating RTs/RD’s and immediately exporting them to Logic Pro X. I tap only a very, very small percentage of the capabilities of BiaB so I would not have much to bring to the table other than I LOVE the product smile

Bud
Hi bud. You would be surprised how many people would love to learn exactly how you do this.

My usage of BiaB is limited to generating RTs/RD’s and immediately exporting them to Logic Pro X. I tap only a very, very small percentage of the capabilities of BiaB so I would not have much to bring to the table other than I LOVE the product smile

Bud

I also only use a small percentage of BiaB's capabilities. The only difference between our workflows is that I use MIDI and Studio One Pro.

But we both love the product!
© PG Music Forums