PG Music Home
My keyboard is a VPC1 (no internal sounds - strictly a MIDI controller). Although I can play along with pre-created tracks in BIAB (using other VSTi software), I'd love to be able to have a virtual band follow me rather than me follow it.

I've found software that follows my chord changes, but nothing that senses, then follows my tempo changes.

Basically, I'm looking for either a software or hardware solution that will allow me to choose a style and have it follow my chord and tempo changes without me having to fiddle with a computer keyboard or touchscreen in the middle of a live performance.

I know that this is asking a lot, but does something like this exist?

Any recommendations appreciated!
Not that I know of; the computer/hardware device would need time to sense your changes in tempo and chords in real time .. then generate something on the fly to match.. which would obviously be behind your actual changes time wise.

Not sure how a device could possibly look ahead to determine your randomness and adjust as it happens.
Someone else may reply with a surprise answer, but nothing I know of can do this.
Yes, its called an arranger keyboard but they can't sense your tempo based on your playing but they all have a scroll wheel just above your fingers, you turn the wheel while you're playing with either hand to change tempo. This is no different than changing a keyboard patch or tone/reverb/drawbar settings in the middle of a song.

For software are you talking about VArranger? If so you set up a knob on your controller to change tempo. In your case the VPC1 doesn't have knobs and sliders but all you do is pick up a Korg Nanocontrol or something similar like this:

Nanocontrol

Just had a thought, you would have to check the midi implementation but it could be possible to use a pedal with a continuous sweep like an expression pedal to link to the tempo setting so you're changing tempo with your foot. Press down to speed up, back to slow down.

Bob
Excellent ideas, Bob. Thanks.

And thanks for your thoughts, everyone!
© PG Music Forums