PG Music Home
I just learned one of my tunes was included in a major movie released late last year. It not only made the film soundtrack but was actually mentioned by name and included in the script and integrated into a scene.

That's good but here's the back story.

1971 wrote the song

1975 recorded and released on Making Plans Album by Angel Oak

1975-76 sold a few hundred copies

2016 after many years of nothing, sold a song from the album to a Record label for inclusion in an audio documentary.
The record label have the all rights to the song for seven years. Received a nice advance and small quarterly receipts since 2016.

2019 July, received a royalty/license quarterly payment 11 times greater than all the other previous payments...
Reviewed the statement and see where the record label has licensed the song to a movie.

Looked up the movie. Sept 2018 release and has grossed nearly 18 million so far. Good rating on Rotten Tomatoes and positive reviews including one by Roger Ebert. Stars Jack Kilmer, son of actor Val Kilmer (Batman and Top Gun, and more); Several other name actors.

Streamed the movie and heard the song at about the 25:40 mark, skipped to the end and there's the name of the song, band name and my name as writer in the closing credits. The artist whose name and song appears just above mine is Sammy Hagar. Pretty stoked all afternoon.

Checked the YouTube Videos: I Saw Her Cry - Angel Oak (this one doesn't load properly for me.)

Radio Label Post: I Saw Her Cry_Angel Oak on Wayfaring Strangers

It has 9.8 thousand views whereas the last time I checked about a year ago, it had less than one thousand. The video post by the record label has 3,000 plus views. It has 452 likes on one post and 71 on the other. Traffic is being driven by the movie.

Being pretty stoked continued.

Streamed the movie again to watch with my wife. I let it play through and did not skip when it got to the scene where the song is played in the film score. Was very surprised to hear the song title, artist and release date of the song is in the scene script and integral to the scene. Really stoked after seeing and hearing that scene.

So... 49 years after writing the song; 44 years after recording and releasing the song, its being heard around the world.

It's never too late to give up. I would never imagined such a scenario.

The movie is "Summer 03" and is R rated due to some very explicit language. It's a teenage movie but certainly not for the kiddies...

My heartiest congratulations, Charlie!

That's quite an amazing story and a really brilliant outcome!!!!

Wow!

Noel

P.S. I'm heading over to play the song now.
Congrats Charlie. That is an awesome story and is very inspirational.
Great story, congrats!

Very good song too. The first link didn't work for me, only played the first few seconds. No problems playing the second link though.
What a sweet turn of events. Exciting stuff.
Wow!!!

We look forward to checking out the links.

Great backstory and what an exciting outcome.

Thanks for sharing Charlie.

J&B
Fantastic, Charlie.

Never give up eh?

Good for you.
Charlie, that is great news!

I'm so glad that you are getting credit for your song.

You should be very proud.
Way to go Charlie!

I'm extremely happy for you and am wishing you continued success.

Bob
Wow, Congratulations Charlie. What a wonderful affirmation after all your hard work.
Great News!

...Deb
That's awesome, Charlie, congratulations!
I've heard this same story from other writers. Never discount or pull a song out of a publisher/library... you never know. Another writer said the same thing.... it had been 7 plus years and he had forgotten about the song. A large check came in and it turned out to be that forgotten song got a placement into a commercial with heavy national rotation.

Charlie.... cool song and congrats on the placement. Love those unexpected checks. They're always a pleasant surprise.
Great achievement Charlie, Many Congrats!
Thanks to all for your kind comments.
congratulations, Charlie! Didn't your brother tell you "all you need is one"? Now you got your first one! Let's keep this trending!
Great story, Charlie. Congratulations!
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Great story, Charlie. Congratulations!

A lot of us are eagerly anticipating your success story, Floyd. If anybody here has put in the work to create a collection of original songs that are just SCREAMING to be used commercially, it's you. I hope this story encourages anybody out there who has ever felt like giving up. I hope all of you song writers get your day in the sun (and the royalty checks to go with it)

Best of luck to each and every song writer in the forum.
It's pretty neat to be able to see my younger brother's name during pop up on the big screen.

I've always heard good things come to those who wait. This proves it.

Congratulations Charlie!
Yep, congrats and thanks for the post (encouragement!)
Good job
hi Charlie congrats great story very encouraging thanks for sharing this eric
© PG Music Forums