PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Chordify - "chords to any song" - 07/29/19 02:37 PM
Don't know if this has been brought up or not...

...but a pretty cool web site for "chords to a song".

You can buy a subscription to access "advanced" features - download MIDI, print, transpose, capo, change speed, etc...

...but you can see chord charts for free (the Chords tab).
You can click on any measure to move around if you want.
The default tab will show chord diagrams - guitar, uke or piano.

Kind of like Riffstation, but I like the layout better...

From the Web site "About"...

What is Chordify?

Chordify is an online music education service – made for and by music enthusiasts – that transforms music from YouTube, Deezer, SoundCloud, or your private collection into chords. Our service automatically recognizes chords from an audio signal and aligns them to the music in a simple and intuitive player. Chordify uses cutting-edge technology to help both novice and trained musicians play the music they want to play.

So far, Ive found every song I have looked for (though I imagine you can stump it if you get obscure).

I've loaded up the Justin Moore song that I referenced in the Songwriting forum:

https://chordify.net/chords/justin-moore-jesus-and-jack-daniels-audio-justinmoorevevo

If anyone has a subscription, it would be nice to know if the MIDI download works well and can be loaded into BIAB...???
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 07/29/19 05:32 PM
Here's a review: https://www.reddit.com/r/musictheory/comments/87ankc/how_reliable_is_chordifynet/

https://appgrooves.com/app/chordify-chords-for-any-song-by-chordify-bv/negative
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 07/29/19 05:47 PM
So there are 9000 reviews with an overall score of 4.6 and you choose to share one star reviews.

Nice.

I thought some folks might find it useful.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 07/29/19 07:49 PM
I’ve used chordify before, very accurate in the songs I have checked also.

Didn’t know about the midi download feature, sounds interesting! Following this thread in case someone knows more about this.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 07/29/19 09:43 PM
Its a good resource in my experience- has shortened my "how did that one go?" search many times and often has several versions of even obscure songs.
Good call,Floyd!

Robert
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 07/30/19 01:28 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
So there are 9000 reviews with an overall score of 4.6 and you choose to share one star reviews.

Nice.

I thought some folks might find it useful.

A friend and I tried it and it is good for country chords. Anything over a 7th chord is garbage.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 07/30/19 02:23 AM
Originally Posted By: raymb1
Anything over a 7th chord is garbage.

I mostly agree with this part of your statement! laugh

(just to be clear I am not talking about Chordify!)
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 07/31/19 09:10 AM
I had some peripheral awareness of site but never perused it. Thanks for the post. It’s been fun exploring it. It’s perfect for my occasional curiosity about a progression - being often too lazy to get the guitar out of the closet and tune it smile

Bud
Posted By: TLMelvin Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 07/31/19 10:42 AM
I have used the site a number of times and have found it to be quite useful. I have it bookmarked for easy access.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 07/31/19 11:17 AM
Wow, good call Floyd! I look up chords and lyrics all the time, and somehow this site never came up in my searches.

I especially like the way it formats the chords in exactly the way I'd need to enter them into BIAB. At $42 a year subscription it isn't a bad deal for somebody who is in a band (ie making money from his/her music and learning new songs all the time)

One VERY intriguing feature is that MIDI download. If it is sophisticated enough to separate out the parts into a piano track, drum track etc... and the parts actually match the song... that alone would be worth the price of admission.
(has anybody tried this with Melodyne multitrack? I need to give that a whirl)

IMHO, there are advantages of using the ACW to extract chords from an MP3:
1) when finished, the chords are already in BIAB, and don't need to be typed in
2) the same process that extracts the chords also tempo maps the song

Disadvantages of using BIAB to replicate a song is that any MIDI or audio tracks generated would be based on the style used, not the signature riffs in the song.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 07/31/19 11:50 AM
@John3 - HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That was funny!!!

@J&B - " It’s perfect for my occasional curiosity about a progression - being often too lazy to get the guitar out of the closet and tuning it"

..... Exactly!!

@Pat.... HI! Pat! Howya been??? good to see you.
I agree with you on this.
The Chord layout (or sometimes called "Overview" - not sure why they switch that up) is excellent for being able to quickly recreate the chord structure in BIAB.
And the fact that you can click on a measure to hear the song from there, makes it easy to check if a recreated sound in BIAB is matching - like at the chorus.
I've been using it to match some particular sounds of songs.

One the main page of the site, there are 8 selections under "Choridy Premium Demo".
These are full functioned.
So you can try out the MIDI download on any of those songs.
(Or any of their other functions).
I downloaded one - I think it is just block chords (one track).
That list seems to change slightly over time (there were a few different selections yesterday...)

Posted By: MountainSide Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 08/01/19 09:13 AM
Agreed Floyd. I tried the premium download demo too. Just one track, block chords. No bass, rhythm, no drums, no melody...just the chords that are displayed on the chord chart and only when the chords change from one to another. Limited value for me. YMMV.

Jeff
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 08/01/19 10:20 AM
Well, that's cool. Gotta love the technology.

I can see how this could be useful to someone who is starting out on guitar. It shows you the chords that are coming up next.

I have not played around too much with the PG BB ACW but as I recall, if the chords are pretty straightforward as most country songs tend to be, it was actually pretty accurate. The thing would be to see if the ACW can show you the chord charts for guitar. I'm thinking there might be a way to do that.

Personally, I've had no need to use something like this, but I can see how it would be a god-send to others. I started out playing to the songs on the radio as a kid.... great ear training. After a while you can even hear the key it's in by the character of the chords.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: raymb1
Anything over a 7th chord is garbage.

I mostly agree with this part of your statement! laugh

(just to be clear I am not talking about Chordify!)

Yep... that got a smile....
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 08/02/19 10:11 AM
regarding the MIDI chords feature:
Some harmony devices depend on an isolated chord track, either MIDI or audio. This would be one easy way to provide a track with nothing but chords, sent only to the device that needs them.
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 08/02/19 11:35 AM
Hi Pat

Did you know that BIAB can send silent chords from your chords on the chord sheet from midi ch 9 default or other if free .
Very useful for controlling external VH units etc.
Here is the setting, for those that may know about this.
Have fun
Mike

Attached picture chord oiut.jpg
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 08/02/19 11:51 AM
Don't have a use for it at the moment but that's a cool feature.
Thanks Mike!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 08/02/19 01:36 PM
It is a cool feature, not widely known on the forum, apparently. I've used it to feed my Voice Live Touch.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 08/02/19 03:43 PM
Ohhhh, I hadn't thought of that. "Feel my Voice Live Touch" Sounds like an ad for uhhhh...something.

Back on topic, that chord output feature came up when someone asked if they could use Biab to drive their arranger keyboard and still use the arranger's styles. The answer was yes, and this is how it works.

Bob
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 08/02/19 04:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
Hi Pat

Did you know that BIAB can send silent chords from your chords on the chord sheet from midi ch 9 default or other if free .
Very useful for controlling external VH units etc.
Here is the setting, for those that may know about this.
Have fun
Mike

Yep, I did know that. However that feature isn't in Real Band (what I normally use) so I have to generate the chords with a MIDI style that has a part playing sustained chords.

The only reason I mentioned it at all is because somebody using Chordify in conjunction with RB and a harmony device might find that feature useful. Or not. Everybody's mileage varies.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 09/01/19 07:04 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

[snip]

So far, I've found every song I have looked for (though I imagine you can stump it if you get obscure).

It seems that as long as the song is on youtube it will find it. Just for laughs I asked it to chordify one of our songs that we did a youtube video for and it found it and chordified it.

Pretty cool technology!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 09/01/19 09:43 AM
Is it true that this is limited to major and minor triads? No 7ths and no upper extensions?
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 09/01/19 09:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Is it true that this is limited to major and minor triads? No 7ths and no upper extensions?

It picked up the 7th chords in my song.

I tried another song that has 9th chords and it missed them, flagged them as 7th chords.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 09/01/19 01:04 PM
Ok, that's a start. Thanks.

Can it distinguish major seventh from minor seventh? In a 9th chord, will it at least recognize whether it's a dominant seventh or a major seventh?
Posted By: StrummerG Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 03/20/21 06:53 PM
I use Chordify often, especially during low-attendance jams to verify chords shown by Ultimate Guitar. The UG lyrics are usually right, but their contributors' interpretations of the chords to songs often leave much to be desired! I've sent in recommendations for changes to both programs.
In Chordify, most useful chord types are available and usually correctly detected, except for augmenteds. That 1-3-#5 configuration is not on the list. Case in point: Guess Who's 'Laughing' - augmenteds used throughout, but not detected by Chordify.
At my low-attendance jams (often just two of us!) I play an arranger keyboard, and spend too much time searching the 1000-odd style options for a useable style to deliver an appropriate combo for the song we choose at random from the UG list. I wish the UG &/or Chordify presentations would at least suggest a starting point: rock, shuffle, 6-9 ballad, beguine, etc. etc. Chordify does present the BPM of the arrangement (usually from Youtube) it magically deconstructs in its pro edition, which is useful.
Any other users of these great apps?
Posted By: Gsus Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 03/25/21 12:52 PM
Personally I use it for popular songs and it tends to measure up, some hearing correction and you already have the chords.
For more complex songs like jazz or bossa I consider it less effective, but in general it is a great advance for musicians.

Another program like the ones that have been discussed here is mychord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8AYWkt2DIA
Posted By: Jaxback Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 09/09/21 10:21 AM
I am brand new here and not a great tech. I want to know if I can import songs from Chordify to Band in a box and how. Would sure save time typing!
A problem is Chordify will work on my iPad or android phone, but not on my AirMac.

Or is there another program that does this.
Thanks
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 09/09/21 11:15 AM

YES.

So, I went to the site, saw a Luke Bryan song, and saw that Chordify Premium is $1.79 a month, a whopping $20 a year subscription.

Below are screenshots for the web freebie, and the BIAB file using the midi I received for, let's say, 5 cents.

It is very close to what is on Ultimate Guitar (both the web and the midi) and with a few tweaks I am sure it will be fine.

So let's see. I pay 17.95 a month for Netflix and never watch it because I am trying to decode songs. So, hmmmmm...do I spend $1.79 a month to let a robot do 95% of the work for me.

Or do I gripe and complain that they missed the Sus 4 add 11 MajMin9th augmented 5 chord???? (Ok, yes that was silly.)

Floyd, my answer:

Yes. Get it.

Also answers my other question on another thread.

Anyone doing current songs in BIAB using current styles?

Yes.

Me.

Now.

Attached picture That's My Kind of Night.png
Attached picture ChordifyTest.png
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 09/09/21 11:48 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Or do I gripe and complain that they missed the Sus 4 add 11 MajMin9th augmented 5 chord???? (Ok, yes that was silly.)

You missed diminished. LOL!!!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 09/09/21 12:50 PM

Ooops. You are right!

As some of the posters here might have said, I was:

WRONG!!!!!!!

smile
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 09/09/21 04:23 PM
You can do it for free with the audio chord wizard
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 09/09/21 04:54 PM
I have tried that ACW tool 8-10 times and it has never come CLOSE to recognizing the chords correctly. Once with something as simple as a 1-4-5 12 bar blues song.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 09/09/21 05:18 PM

No Eddie!

Wrong!!!

You did it all WRONG!!!!!

How dare you use Audacity and Reaper and Audio Chord Wizard!!

WRONG!!!!

Wait, where am I????

Attached picture Grouch.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 09/09/21 07:26 PM
I thought diminished chords were called demolished chords. Same thing, right?

One show I played with no conductor, the actors said, give us a chord. So I said, D Major and we played ta-da.

Then they did something else interesting and motioned for a chord, so I called E major. Ta-da. All good.

Then they really botched the next gag so I called for Eb Diminished. Ta-da…..

Big laugh.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 09/09/21 08:17 PM
Dude,

Only a musician would get that joke.

You know that right??

smile

Oh wait, I guess actors do too.

Never mind!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 09/10/21 01:44 AM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I have tried that ACW tool 8-10 times and it has never come CLOSE to recognizing the chords correctly. Once with something as simple as a 1-4-5 12 bar blues song.

The trick with the acw is to get the tempo map right 100% BEFORE attempting to get it to recognising chords.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 09/10/21 04:19 PM
Another trick to using the Audio Chord Wizard (ACW) is to manually set beat 1 of bar 1. Many songs have a lead in so the audio starts before bar 1. If the ACW starts its analysis at the lead in the rest of the analysis will never be correct.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 09/10/21 05:23 PM

One show I played with no conductor, the actors said, give us a chord. So I said, D Major and we played ta-da.

Then they did something else interesting and motioned for a chord, so I called E major. Ta-da. All good.

Big laugh.

Great joke! grin
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chordify - "chords to any song" - 09/10/21 05:57 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent

Big laugh.

Great joke! grin
Yeah, and I kept the job! The things you do at 20.
© PG Music Forums