PG Music Home
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Is the ocarina underappreciated? - 08/15/19 09:34 PM
I went to the museum a little while ago, and they have a Mayan exhibit set up. In that exhibit they showcased a lot of different ceremonial ocarinas that had me scratching my head a little. They were so intricate that it was hard to believe that they could actually be played, and they took on the shape of full statuettes complete with holes for finger placement. And when I stopped to think about it, I don't actually know of anyone that I've met in person that has ever played one (except for maybe a passing fancy after playing Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, where the main character can play an Ocarina to manipulate time, weather, seasons, etc, only to never play it again after they couldn't get the desired sound).

Does anyone here play one? Or had experiences with someone who does? Or just enjoy the sound of them in general? Curious about people's thoughts and feelings on them.
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? - 08/15/19 10:06 PM
Hi

Yes indeed quite a pleasant sound.
It is a standard midi voice patch no 80 – Ocarina, and was for a long time the go to voice for midi based karaoke for a soft melody voice for those that like to sing over a back melody guide voice.
I have always liked it and yes we had them at school in music sort of shell shaped with a flute like sound.
I assume this is the same as you mention.
Mike
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? - 08/16/19 06:42 AM
I see them a lot at medieval faires. Overpriced there but they are available.

...Deb
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? - 08/16/19 07:39 AM
The Troggs used an Ocarina to play the solo in their hit "Wild Thing" back in the 60's.

Here is a more recent video of them showing it (skip to 1:08 for the solo):

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? - 08/16/19 08:16 AM
Good find Blue Attitude. That solo is certainly a memorable part of the song.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? - 08/16/19 08:38 AM
I actually still have the 45 of that song around here someplace, it was a big hit for them back in the day. I used to play it in a band I was in back in the early 70's.
Posted By: jford Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? - 08/16/19 08:55 AM
I've got my grandmother's ocarina in a box around here somewhere. Used to play simple melodies on it as a kid when we went to visit. I'm guessing it's probably over 80 years old. I'll have to see if I can find it.
The ocarina is definitely underappreciated - thought, admittedly all it makes me think of is Zelda. It is a very pretty instrument though smile
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
The Troggs used an Ocarina to play the solo in their hit "Wild Thing" back in the 60's.

Here is a more recent video of them showing it (skip to 1:08 for the solo):

I had completely forgotten about this!! Thanks for sharing that.
Originally Posted By: jford
I've got my grandmother's ocarina in a box around here somewhere. Used to play simple melodies on it as a kid when we went to visit. I'm guessing it's probably over 80 years old. I'll have to see if I can find it.
If you are able to find it and are willing to share pictures I'd love to see!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? - 08/17/19 10:59 PM
Ocarinas are way undervalued instruments, considering cost of making one and beautiful sound it can produce.

About 20 years back, I went to visit my grandparents to my hometown and attended local craft fair.
I met a talented clay artist who had made couple of neat, large ocarinas for me. The bird design on it is mine smile

Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? - 08/18/19 08:10 AM
Very cool, Misha!

Now you need to use it on a song I think cool
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Ocarinas are way undervalued instruments, considering cost of making one and beautiful sound it can produce.

About 20 years back, I went to visit my grandparents to my hometown and attended local craft fair.
I met a talented clay artist who had made couple of neat, large ocarinas for me. The bird design on it is mine smile

That is an absolutely beautiful instrument!
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very cool, Misha!

Now you need to use it on a song I think cool

I second this!
Posted By: jford Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? - 08/20/19 02:00 PM
If I find mine out in the shed, I'll be sure to take and post a picture.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? - 08/21/19 10:04 AM
Originally Posted By: jford
If I find mine out in the shed, I'll be sure to take and post a picture.

The shed? Oh, you mean the adjacent music studio grin
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Is the ocarina underappreciated? - 08/21/19 11:36 AM
I'm thinking probably no more than the banjo or the bagpipes.... but at least you can use the banjo in place of a hammer.
© PG Music Forums