PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD CD burner software - 08/22/19 10:11 AM
I was using CDBurnerXP for years. My music computer crashed and I lost everything on the C Drive. I installed a new 1TB SSD and reinstalled most all of my music and photography programs. But anti-malwarebytes will not let me install CDBurnerXP. I have read that it now includes malware.

I liked it because I can easily make music, data and ISO CDs. So my question is can anyone suggest a similar program?

Thanx in advance for your time.
Posted By: Mike Head Re: CD burner software - 08/22/19 10:55 AM
Hi
There are various versions of Nero out there with free trails.
Just be careful exactly what you install or it will install a media suite and try and associate all your music and video files to it.
All you really want is the cd burner This handles data audio and iso
And maybe Nero cover design which can often be found as a separate download if you don’t want the full suite.
So take care.

Mike
Posted By: silvertones Re: CD burner software - 08/22/19 11:56 AM
How about the one included with biab and rb?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: CD burner software - 08/22/19 12:01 PM
I've been using SONY's CD Architect for many years. I like seeing the layout of all songs and the ability to jump around to check levels.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: CD burner software - 08/22/19 12:13 PM
Granted - I haven't burned a disc in probably 4 or 5 years, but I always just used iTunes to do it.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: CD burner software - 08/22/19 01:27 PM
Does anyone even burn CD's anymore? I don't have a clue.... but I think there was software that came with my last burner that is coincidentally, setting on a shelf here in the studio, collecting dust.

I always thought that the anti-malware programs allowed you to make an exemption for programs that you trust. Might want to check that if you loved the old one and trusted it.
Posted By: jford Re: CD burner software - 08/22/19 05:15 PM
I use Nero and have since version 5 back in 2000. It's not necessarily the most intuitive, but like BIAB, once you figure it out, it has a lot of capability.

I don't think I've ever used the CD burning capability in BIAB/RB, other than just trying it out a long time ago. There have been a number of reports over the years of it not working correctly and I don't think it has even been updated in a very long time, so don't know how well it handles the latest drives.
Posted By: pghboemike Re: CD burner software - 08/22/19 06:12 PM
How to burn a CD or DVD in Windows 10 (step-by-step)
https://www.easytechguides.com/burn-a-cd-or-dvd-in-windows-10.html
Posted By: jphillips Re: CD burner software - 08/22/19 08:31 PM
I use Burning Studio 20, by Ashampoo, a German software company.
I started using it 5 or 6 years ago when an article in PC Magazine listed it as their favorite CD burning program.
You can use it to burn audio CDs, backup data, rip mp3s and other tasks. I've been really happy with it.
It is on sale right now for $18.

Ashampoo.com

John
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: CD burner software - 08/22/19 11:18 PM
Windows 7 and higher includes CD burning software. +++ HERE +++ is a Microsoft support link. It is a Windows Media function in Windows 7 and 8.1. Pghboemike provided a link for Windows 10.
Posted By: Mike Head Re: CD burner software - 08/23/19 08:15 AM
Hi

Yes indeed the windows built in cd burner and the one in media player are fine for, Data and Audio cd and Data dvd no prob.

But if you want to burn ISO images you will need something else as mentioned.

Nero or Active ISO Burner come to mind.

Mike
Posted By: rharv Re: CD burner software - 08/23/19 07:55 PM
Another Nero user here,
but I do know people that have installed CDBurnerXP recently without apparent issue.
Proceed at own risk though, I suppose where you get it from could be a big part of the risk.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: CD burner software - 08/23/19 09:44 PM
Hi Mario,

I was feeling a bit reckless this morning so I downloaded CDBurnerXP from...

https://cdburnerxp.en.lo4d.com/virus-malware-tests

It's a program that I've been using a long time. Given the above tests, I felt reasonably safe.

During the installation process, I had to uncheck installations for "Winzip" and "Avast!".

After installing the program, I noticed that Lavasoft had installed a program called "Web Companion". I didn't run it so I don't know what it does. Wikipedia tells me that Lavasoft was formerly "Adaware" which I used to use regularly a few years ago. There was no warning that Web Companion was going to be installed.

I just thought I'd pass this information on.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. At the end of the journey, (in Firefox) Bing replaced Google as my default internet search engine. That was easily fixed and Web Companion uninstalled via Control Manger.
Posted By: MarioD Re: CD burner software - 08/23/19 10:35 PM
Thanx Noel.

It is funny that lo4d took me to the same DL site that I tried using before. Mind you that I am just reconstructing my C drive after a crash. Thus I was very leery as my anti-malware bytes kept quarantining it. I gambled and made an exception for CDburnerxp and ran the install. I could not find any malware programs installed. This computer is only on-line for updates and/or new software registration so I should be Ok. Thanx for looking into this.

Also thanx to all of my Internet friends who offered other suggestions. I am in debt to all of you.

{edit} - Noel, you might find this interesting. I have Anti-Malwarebytes Pro on both my Internet and Music computers. Both have Win 10 Pro as the OS. Both computers were custom made. My music computer kept blocking CDburnerXP as it supposedly contained malware but my Internet computer would let it load with no warning or problem! Go figure!
© PG Music Forums