PG Music Home
We heard the track coming over the sound system when we were on holiday and I pointed out to friends that the backing singers repeat 'hot banana' and now i'm unpopular because that's what they hear every time the hear the track...........
I'm sure it's a mondegreen, they are probably singing nonsense syllables, as was common in the do-[*****] days.

But the next time I hear it (if I ever do) I'll definitely hear "Hot Banana".

CCR sings "There's a bathroom on the right"

Hendrix sings "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy"

But I think we've had a mondegreen thread before. If not, post your favorites.

Insights and incites by Notes
Bob, not meaning to hijack your thread, but you are right, the lyrics to some songs will never sound the same again.

Peter Kay clarifies some lyrics for us:

Bee Gees - "More Than a Woman" --> "Bald Headed Woman".

The wife gave me that one and ruined the song forever for me. laugh
Hairy, Hairy...Oh never mind

Bob
A friend of mine insisted that Ray Parker Jr was singing "Who ya gonna call .... George Mustard"
CCR: There's a bathroom on the right (There's a bad moon on the rise)

Eagles: Flies in the Vaseline (Life in the fast lane)

Hendrix: 'Scuse me while I kiss this guy ('Scuse me while I kiss the sky)

And my favorite mondegreen:

Wife calls husband while he is golfing "Hi honey, where are you?"

Husband replies: "I'm on the green" (I mondegreen)
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
Eagles: Flies in the Vaseline (Life in the fast lane)

Amusing.... Stone Temple Pilots actually used the "Flies in the Vasoline" lyric in their "Vasoline" song. I wonder if they were playing on that Eagles mondegreen?

Vasoline Lyrics
And then there's the song....

and not one single person on the planet know what the heck the words are in that song.
Then there's the Dr John classic "Walk on Gilded Splinters". My wife asked me one day why are they singing "Kill Alberta"?
I finally found out what they were really saying was "Till I burn up".
In their song "Tonight Is The Night I Fell Asleep At The Wheel", the Barenaked Ladies reference "Slow motion Walter, fire engine guy" (Smoke on the water, a fire in the sky).
Originally Posted By: Frank Alves
Then there's the Dr John classic "Walk on Gilded Splinters". My wife asked me one day why are they singing "Kill Alberta"?
I finally found out what they were really saying was "Till I burn up".

Humble Pie covers this on their Live at the Fillmore album..... still hard to figure out the words, but the guitar playing is STELLAR. A young Peter Frampton smoking it....and with killer crunchy tone. 23 minutes of sonic bliss. Put on some headphones and enjoy this.

I think misheard lyrics have to be some of my favourite lyrics. When I was quite a bit younger and it was more common to read magazines still, I have a monthly subscription and part of it was a section dedicated to people's submissions of misheard song lyrics. It was always worth a chuckle.
© PG Music Forums