PG Music Home
Posted By: furry New Roland FRX-4 - 08/30/19 08:15 AM
Am getting a new Roland FRX-4 digital accordion tomorrow. It's about 5kg lighter than my Scandalli super V1. One of the reasons I havn't been posting many new tunes is that I've been getting breathless playing due to a bronchial condition I have. The other is that my hands have had non essential tremors making it damn near impossible to play most of the time. This was due to continued use of steroids given by my GPs. The shaking has now stopped, so hopefully the new Roland will give me back some of the inspiration that's been lacking for the last year. Some amazing sounds in it to play with plus, it has it's own editing software which I'm gonna have a blast with. Using MP3 files with it is a dawdle, so a band in a box & roland combination is going to be pretty awesome
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: New Roland FRX-4 - 08/30/19 08:23 AM
Graham, I hope the new instrument is a sensational success. More importantly that you have recovered from the tremors.

Trev
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: New Roland FRX-4 - 08/30/19 08:45 AM
Graham there is a pretty famous bass player and instructor in the UK that wears thin, elastic supported gloves when he plays because it settles his tremors which are a kind of neurological disorder of the dystonia type. I do not know if this would work for you or if you have a similar condition as him but it would be worth looking into perhaps. Here is a video where he explains it.
https://youtu.be/wOVGrGBeqiI
Posted By: furry Re: New Roland FRX-4 - 08/30/19 09:53 AM
The tremors have stopped. As I mentioned they WERE caused by the fact I was on steroids to help with my asthma for almost a year ago.
Trev, if you have a look on you tube, there's lots of brilliant demos of the FRX-4
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: New Roland FRX-4 - 08/30/19 03:33 PM
Hey Graham,

I'm looking forward to listening to the first song you post after you receive the accordion. The Roland FRX-4 digital accordion looks like it is an awesome musical device.

I don't know why I found it interesting, but I do, that it is manufactured in Italy. Did you order the black or red colored accordion?
Posted By: furry Re: New Roland FRX-4 - 08/30/19 08:18 PM
It's the black one I chose Jim, the red one looks too plasticy if you know what I mean. IMO Italy & Germany have always made the best accordions. I've had a Hohner Morino 1V super musette back about 40 years ago, and that accordion is still in use by a friend of mine. Since then though all the accordions I've owsed have been Italian. Crucianelli ( three of them ), Elkavox ( which I still have and and Excelsior 940 gold which, again I still have. But, by crikey it's a hell of a weight.
I love the fact with the Roland, all the sounds can be customised to suit each individuals own taste. Having midi out means I can also use it with my current expander, which is a Limex V3, or any other synth that's out there. Hoping it'll be here in the morning.
By the way, Cory Pesaturo has some great you tube vids using the Roland piano & 5 row accordions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWswmE-mOd4
© PG Music Forums