PG Music Home
Posted By: beatmaster tc helicon advice - 09/05/19 06:08 PM
Anyone have any of the TC helicon vocal/guitar fx, I was looking at buying the voicelive 3 secondhand .

But as i have done my research there seemed to be a bit of a problem i.e. blue screen, freezing.. they have been discontinued although the voicelive 2 can still be bought new online ?.

I do want it for vocals mainly tho the guitar fx is a welcome addition I am now leaning towards a voicelive play with no guitar fx or the voicelive 2.

Just hoping one or two of the forum members can enlighten me a bit.
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: tc helicon advice - 09/06/19 10:39 AM
Can't be much help on the VoiceLive device I'm afraid.
However, if you decide against it, and want another option,
I've been using the TC Helicon harmonyGXT for a number of years
and it has been both adequate and reliable.

Good luck on your search!
LLOYD S
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: tc helicon advice - 09/06/19 11:54 AM
I have a number of devices (including some from TC Helicon) that have been discontinued, and they all still work fine. It's normal for companies to discontinue items when they release newer versions. It just makes sense from a production line perspective.

In fact, you can get good deals on discontinued products on eBay.

I notice that some products are so well received that the price actually goes UP after it goes out of production. People will pay a premium price to buy the rare commodity that's no longer available in stores.

Bottom line... unless you know for sure that particular model was discontinued for design reasons, it might not be a problem to buy a discontinued item. TC Helicon has a stellar reputation.

---------------------------
disclaimer: this is not a recommendation to buy or not to buy. Everybody needs to research their own purchases. Even good companies make the occasional bad product. Bla bla not my fault.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: tc helicon advice - 09/06/19 03:42 PM
LLoyd thanks I am open to options so food for thought on that one.

Pat yea you are right on the fact that you can get good deals on discontinued products, the voicelive 3 has more than few articles on blue screen etc.

Amazon for reviews is not great although the videos on you tube are great on the v3 both guitar and vocals.

I'm just a bit on edge with the issues I did find but I think most products have a wee bit of negative feedback if you look for it.

Thanks for your input.
Posted By: DrDan Re: tc helicon advice - 09/07/19 10:44 AM
Loved my TC Helicon VoiceLive Touch back in the day. It was a fun to work with and had great sounds. Here in the forum the guys figured out how to get BIAB to drive the harmony. I made some music pieces which I recorded.

Today it is one of the best treasures hidden in my music closet. I hope to resurrect it someday and use it again.

Posted By: beatmaster Re: tc helicon advice - 09/07/19 05:05 PM
Musicstudent
voice live 3 is a guitar and vocal fx ,you get a bit of time give it a wee google impressive stuff
Posted By: DrDan Re: tc helicon advice - 09/07/19 05:27 PM
Ya, I do know this stuff pretty well. Way cooler in the demos than anything I can ever do. Also, cost prohibitive. The TCH voice live series cost more than the guitar I play at the moment.
Posted By: silvertones Re: tc helicon advice - 09/08/19 10:37 AM
I still use my TCHelicon Harmony gxt.I use it live and it does a great job.I installed a jack in it so I can use a keyboard sustain pedal to turn it on and off. I also wrote a style that just plays chords in root position to send to the gxt. Works better than guitar chords. My only regret is not getting the version that uses midi as its reference. You can write exact harmony with that one.
Posted By: lambada Re: tc helicon advice - 09/08/19 10:54 AM
Hi

I have the Voicelive 2 and 3 Extreme. I would definately select the Extreme as you can run your backing tracks from it, vocal and guitar effects. It's quite old now (They all are), but for some reason there's never a Voicelive 4. God only knows what they'd put into that? It's massive bangs for your bucks. As for the bluescreen, it's a real issue, so I would recommed buying a new one from them with warrenty. They replace if it's a problem and in the US it would be straightforward, unlike Hong Kong. I kept mine in its box for over a year and although my warenty was over, they were willing to fix it when I had a boot problem which was documented. In the end whatever the problem was dissapeared (possibly with a firmware update - I can't remember for sure) and I've never had a problem since. I love it. It's very high tech, so I guess there's always a risk of malfunction. So easy to use live and also great for recording. You plug it into the PA and into your mic and guitar and that's it. Backing tracks, automatic switching of guitar and vocal effects/harmonies etc. Of course there's a learning curve, but nothing like BIAB! As others have mentioned, have a look at the other pedals - autocorrect and harmonisers etc. Extreme is the flagship though. I suspect the lack of new systems is that they were bought out by Behringer (I think). Be sure to get the Switch 6 pedal board as well for extra flexibility.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: tc helicon advice - 09/13/19 02:31 AM
Thanks for the comments exactly what I was hoping to hear .

They do sound amazing on the video tutorials.
© PG Music Forums