PG Music Home
Posted By: Pat Marr The Secret to Hendrix's tone... - 09/06/19 05:33 PM
As a guitar player who has always tried to duplicate the sound and tone of other guitar players, I thought this was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVx44W88X08

Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: The Secret to Hendrix's tone... - 09/06/19 07:03 PM
This looks like it's going to be a really neat watch. I'll have to give it a look later. I really need to pick up my guitar again, I'm feeling so inspired lately to re-learn.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Secret to Hendrix's tone... - 09/06/19 08:24 PM
Interesting video but nothing really new about string gauges; it was new about Jimi's custom set.

I use 13-56 flatwounds on my Jay Turser jazz box. I have tried other flatwound gauges but those telephone lines sound the best to me.

My cheap Tele copy sounds best with 8s while my fake Strats sound best with 9s or 10s.

String guage makes a world of difference, as was illustrated in this video.

YMMV
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Secret to Hendrix's tone... - 09/07/19 07:20 AM
Yeah, I never knew that he used that custom set either, interesting!

I've been using 10-46 and higher action than most for the last 40 years or so on all my guitars, I need it to fight back a little. Makes it hard to try out new guitars in the guitar store because they always string them with 9's and have the action too low (for me).

SRV and a few other players, Kenny Wayne Shepherd is a modern example, use heavy strings and high action, I think Stevie used 12's or 13's, but then tune down 1/2 step to reduce the string tension.
Joe Bonamassa, my current favorite player, uses an 11-52 set.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: The Secret to Hendrix's tone... - 09/29/19 06:41 PM
Pat,

Thanks for the post, I will watch it when I have some down time. But after hearing you play Hendrix. Clapton, Greg Allman and Santana covers I would just as soon take your class, as no doubt you have found the key.

Catch ya Later!

Thanks again,
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: The Secret to Hendrix's tone... - 10/02/19 07:29 PM
Wow Pat, cool find! I can't claim to be a guitarist but get what's going on. Fascinating! Thanks for the share. Gotta love the info available to us now. If only we had this as kids! smile
© PG Music Forums