PG Music Home
Very valuable information here.
Great player, good info video though I never heard of the one before that your guitar can get too used to your usual strings, and you need to try different ones, that is if I took up what he said correctly.

I know I should take it as gospel coming from a player like him, but somehow I find it hard to believe unless there is some sort of scientific reason.

Such love and care and dedication goes in to taking care of one's instruments.
hi Ember

This is love and dedication for a musical instrument

Watch parts 2 and 3 as well.

Have fun
Mike
Ah that was fun, wonder what value Trigger would be to a collector.

I like the way the luthier at the end says when he plays it, sounds pretty good, ready to go on the road again.

Whatever about its sounds, I personally think its a ugly looking damaged guitar, don't think I could bear even to look at it every day, but then its Willie Neslon who plays and owns it and he likes it.

Maybe even goes to show that even the stars can get so attached to a particular guitar and think nothing else can feel so good in the hands or even sound as good.

I know that with my cheapie guitars it does take a while to feel totally comfortable playing them.
ditto.... most of that I already know and do.

Had not heard the theory about the guitar getting used to the strings. However, I think that is more about the player getting used to the sound of the strings on that guitar. Because yes, if you change strings to a different brand, they are made differently, different material blend, different factory, etc.... so there is definitely an audible tonal difference between some brands.

Personally, my brand since I have discovered them has been the EBSS strings. I've used them on my electrics and have had very little issue with tone or durability. And yes.... new ones sound better. After a month, they should be changed. if you are gigging regular, no more then 2 weeks on a set. I've tried Fender bullets and GHS and a few other brands and always came back to EBSS. The others tended to break too quickly or just didn't tune up and perform well. And like TE said, I've had people tell me EBSS are crap.

After a gig, I would always use a rag to wipe the strings down. I'd use a spritz of WD-40 on the rag, wrap it under the string, and run it up and down each string a few times to get the acidic sweat and grunge off the strings and coat them so they didn't start to rust.

Every two weeks minimum, I'd pull the strings off, and clean the guitar nicely. Fretboard wax, polish the chrome, and then restring with new strings. I'd do the tune up exactly like TE did except that I used a Con Strobe tuner to get on the correct pitch. During the gigs, I had the Conn running from the line out of the amp and I could fix and tweek as needed during the show, and even in the middle of a song. Fortunately, the combination of the EBSS strings and the Gibson guitar meant that it held tune extremely well in spite of the abuse it was receiving.

If you don't do the things in the video.... highly recommend that you start.
© PG Music Forums