PG Music Home
Perhaps a silly question, but I am wondering if anybody gets specific moods for different kinds of projects during certain seasons? Whether it's thematically, different genres, or something else that may differ from their norm. Would be curious to hear people's thoughts!
Funny, noticed this here recently when reviewing old song ideas that never materialized .. found song ideas named 'October' (which had a very fall/going to winter feel in a very specific genre). So I'd say yeah, it happens.
Interesting observation.
I've written some jazz waltz tunes that people say remind them of the holiday / Christmas season. I have another good Bossa that is called 'Last Day of Summer'. So, I would say Yes as well.
I wrote a song named 'Autumn Pulse' so I guess I must be influenced somehow.
Yes... at times.

This is an old song from 2009.... posted in November, written in October.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=8354302

I forget the tracks. I do know that the piano and guitars are live. The synth is also played by me. The co-writer played the piano. I seem to think the flute was a product of the BB program.
Originally Posted By: rharv
Funny, noticed this here recently when reviewing old song ideas that never materialized .. found song ideas named 'October' (which had a very fall/going to winter feel in a very specific genre). So I'd say yeah, it happens.
Interesting observation.
That's really entertaining that you found some song ideas named October! grin
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I've written some jazz waltz tunes that people say remind them of the holiday / Christmas season. I have another good Bossa that is called 'Last Day of Summer'. So, I would say Yes as well.
What about for Spring and Fall? Anything you noticed that you do within those seasons?
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I wrote a song named 'Autumn Pulse' so I guess I must be influenced somehow.
Sometimes the seasons can serve as interesting muses!
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Yes... at times.

This is an old song from 2009.... posted in November, written in October.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=8354302

I forget the tracks. I do know that the piano and guitars are live. The synth is also played by me. The co-writer played the piano. I seem to think the flute was a product of the BB program.
I'll definitely have to give that one a listen! Thanks a bunch.
With a record drought and record high temps set for 14 of the last 21 days we can hardly think of an autumn theme as leaves in our forest are simply falling off rather than turning colors...hopefully most of the trees will survive.

But there's spring! And spring always temps us to write a "love renewal" themed song...a love emerging from a slumber like wildflowers. But after a few lines I always bog down...maybe because our love needs no renewal smile

Interesting topic.

J&B
The seasons do for me; and to a large extent the Holidays that come with them. As an example, it's October so I'm obviously writing about Valentine's Day. grin Being I write jingles, we are always a few holidays ahead. It makes for an interesting feeling for every season. lol.

As far as traditional songs, I really do love various seasons for inspiration. I'm a bit of a nature person and can't help but be moved by that.

What a great question!
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
With a record drought and record high temps set for 14 of the last 21 days we can hardly think of an autumn theme as leaves in our forest are simply falling off rather than turning colors...hopefully most of the trees will survive.

But there's spring! And spring always temps us to write a "love renewal" themed song...a love emerging from a slumber like wildflowers. But after a few lines I always bog down...maybe because our love needs no renewal smile

Interesting topic.

J&B

When I was living in Ontario surrounded by all the maple trees we got such beautiful colour transitions. The tree leaves were all kinds of fire colours. Here in Victoria there isn't really a transition. A lot of threes around here don't have the same kind of colour shifts as some other variants of trees have, but also the temperatures tend to starkly shift here and I think it shocks the leaves. But it sounds like the spring time brings you some great inspiration!
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
The seasons do for me; and to a large extent the Holidays that come with them. As an example, it's October so I'm obviously writing about Valentine's Day. grin Being I write jingles, we are always a few holidays ahead. It makes for an interesting feeling for every season. lol.

As far as traditional songs, I really do love various seasons for inspiration. I'm a bit of a nature person and can't help but be moved by that.

What a great question!

Haha, good ol' Valentine's Day! grin I bet it does make for an interesting feeling.

With the mention of being a nature person, that brings up another question: do you find yourself being inspired by being out in nature, but more specifically when you're able to get away from it all for more than just a day or two? You mentioned you were moved by nature, but I wonder if you feel the creative juices really flow the longer you're away from 'civilization'. I find I always feel my most creative on camping trips and really itch to drawing something, which only gets more intense the longer I stay out in the great outdoors.
Hi, Ember !

Livin´up here in the North
as I do I most certainly feel
influenced by the seasons and,
we really have four different seasons
(or at least we used to have) !

In fact the weather outside may
also directly influence one´s
composing and so also the mood of the song
that will come to affect the lyrics.
You ought to hear it in all my posted
tunes especially those who refer to
a season !

Cheers
Dani
Hi Ember,

Yes the seasons do impact my writing, as does a good Sci Fi or Fantasy book, TV show or movie. Also holidays can have an impact as well as walks in nature or sunsets. Basically everything can impact my writing. Maybe I'm just a moody person wink
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Ember !

Livin´up here in the North
as I do I most certainly feel
influenced by the seasons and,
we really have four different seasons
(or at least we used to have) !

In fact the weather outside may
also directly influence one´s
composing and so also the mood of the song
that will come to affect the lyrics.
You ought to hear it in all my posted
tunes especially those who refer to
a season !

Cheers
Dani

Good to know, Dani! I'll definitely pay extra attention for the seasonal influences in your songs to see if I can place the season!

Here in Victoria it feels like we have three seasons: rainy season, construction season, and what is going on with this weather season, haha.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Hi Ember,

Yes the seasons do impact my writing, as does a good Sci Fi or Fantasy book, TV show or movie. Also holidays can have an impact as well as walks in nature or sunsets. Basically everything can impact my writing. Maybe I'm just a moody person wink
I have yet to get inspired by a book, but I think for me that's because I have a really hard time translating words in to visuals in my brain. I'm a really kinesthetic person, so I tend to get inspiration from being more involved with things (which I think being out in nature is such an inspiration for me personally).
The season has effect on my music but not for feeling. Simply put, we have two seasons in Texas. Hot and cold. When the weather is too hot or cold, I am drawn to working in the studio. Other times, it's riding my motorcycles or getting out and about with some other pleasure.
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music

With the mention of being a nature person, that brings up another question: do you find yourself being inspired by being out in nature, but more specifically when you're able to get away from it all for more than just a day or two? You mentioned you were moved by nature, but I wonder if you feel the creative juices really flow the longer you're away from 'civilization'. I find I always feel my most creative on camping trips and really itch to drawing something, which only gets more intense the longer I stay out in the great outdoors.

Actually the two places the most ideas come from for me, specifically for songs, is when my mind is occupied doing something else such as driving, showering, or mowing the lawn.

I like to take back roads where I can. Just looking around it's hard not to get inspired or look at the world with a sense of wonder...yet, have to be doing something else at the same time.

If I'm on a hike or just outside for an extended period of time; my mind shifts away from song writing and just enjoying nature.

I may be strange that way.
© PG Music Forums