PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude R.I.P. Ginger Baker - 10/06/19 10:11 AM
Ginger Baker passed this morning, aged 80.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/06/arts/music/ginger-baker-dead.html
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: R.I.P. Ginger Baker - 10/06/19 10:23 AM
Hate to hear that. Having never seen him interviewed not smoking I assumed he'd be struggling in late life. Seems like I remember reading a while back that he had emphysema.

Janice and I followed his career as we both so admired his chops. In fact Janice has always compared drummers to him...she always points out his skills in working so amazingly with whatever the rest of the band is doing at any point.

RIP

Bud
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: R.I.P. Ginger Baker - 10/06/19 11:38 AM
In reading the recent reports he was in the hospital I was wondering if it was an upcoming curtain close for Ginger.
Starting out as a drummer in my early band days he was my favorite.

Loved Blind Faith too....especially "Do What You Like"

This is very sad news.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: R.I.P. Ginger Baker - 10/06/19 11:46 AM
Yes, I liked Blind Faith too, lots of great songs.

There is a documentary on netflix called "Beware of Mr. Baker", I think it's still there anyway. Well worth checking out if you haven't seen it already. He was quite a unique character to say the least!
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: R.I.P. Ginger Baker - 10/06/19 12:28 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
There is a documentary on netflix called "Beware of Mr. Baker", I think it's still there anyway. Well worth checking out if you haven't seen it already. He was quite a unique character to say the least!

Absolutely, good stuff on the BF album which I did have, BTW.

Oh yeah....I've watched that documentary a couple of times.
He was truly a "character".....most would probably say a bit rough around the edges.
But...my sister says the same of me. smile

He will be missed.

Posted By: MarioD Re: R.I.P. Ginger Baker - 10/06/19 12:40 PM
I was also a fan of Cream and Blind Faith. Time to spin some vinyl.

RIP Mr. Baker.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: R.I.P. Ginger Baker - 10/06/19 02:47 PM

We watched that. “Unique character” is very kind. He was a cantankerous old phart! But rock world’s best at what he did.

J&B
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: R.I.P. Ginger Baker - 10/06/19 08:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

We watched that. “Unique character” is very kind. He was a cantankerous old phart! But rock world’s best at what he did.

J&B

Being a drummer hungry for influences I obviously became aware of GB. Great drummer; but you nailed it.

I remember reading interviews with him. I will flat out say I would have been embarrassed to read them out loud at the time...maybe still would. His colorful speech and cranky ways defined him almost as much as his drumming. Take that as you will.

Like I said, great drummer and a person. That is phrased exactly how I mean it.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: R.I.P. Ginger Baker - 10/06/19 08:24 PM
Very sad always to learn that one of our team has departed. G.B. defined rock music in so many ways.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: R.I.P. Ginger Baker - 10/07/19 08:11 AM

J&B

Yes. I was being somewhat generous seeing as he is dead and all wink

Only Eric is left from Cream now, kind of sad really.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: R.I.P. Ginger Baker - 10/07/19 09:02 AM
Think it’s time to watch the Albert Hall Cream reunion again...for maybe the fifth time smile
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: R.I.P. Ginger Baker - 10/08/19 11:46 AM
A sad day for music - he was truly a master of his craft. I never delved into Blind Faith too much, but growing up Cream was frequently playing in the house.

R.I.P. frown
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: R.I.P. Ginger Baker - 10/08/19 09:44 PM
This is such sad news. My heart goes out to their family.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: R.I.P. Ginger Baker - 10/09/19 12:35 PM
Think it’s time to watch the Albert Hall Cream reunion again...for maybe the fifth time smile

Watched it again last night.
Even enjoyed the Toad drum solo.

Powerful, Articulate, Relentless.

Beware of Mr Baker!.

RIP
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: R.I.P. Ginger Baker - 10/09/19 05:08 PM
+++ HERE +++ is a neat Rolling Stone article where Ringo Starr remembers a Cream reunion was thwarted because Ginger Baker was working on getting a fire truck driver's license.
© PG Music Forums