PG Music Home
Posted By: jazzmammal Yahoo Groups are closing down - 10/30/19 01:29 AM
Just read this on another forum. Apparently they will be gone December 14. I know a lot of folks here have gotten Biab files from a group there so if somebody needs something now's the time.

Bob
Posted By: sslechta Re: Yahoo Groups are closing down - 10/30/19 09:22 AM
Bob, I just received an email from Yahoo directly on this the other day. To me it sounded like existing groups will still be active but they are going towards more of an email subscription basis. So the web pages may not be available any more. Although being email only would make it difficult to retrieve files from the web page... smile So I guess your comments on "get your files now" are valid.
Posted By: jford Re: Yahoo Groups are closing down - 10/30/19 11:31 AM
I used to be a member of half a dozen Yahoo Groups, but always thought their use somewhat unwieldy. Don't think I've checked one in a decade. But good to know the current status.

I used to get a lot of BIAB content from Yahoo Groups, but then they started removing a lot of the files and it became more of a discussion group, especially for folks who never seemed to check the PGMusic forums and didn't understand all the new capabilities if the recent releases, so a lot of it became a complaint forum. Maybe it's changed in the past few years, but that's one of the reasons I left.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Yahoo Groups are closing down - 10/30/19 11:52 AM
Good points John. It's probably been 10 years since I was active as well. Last I saw, spammers had been creating more posts than group members.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Yahoo Groups are closing down - 10/30/19 02:23 PM
Related BUT WAY WAY WAY OFF music topic (unless we want to talk about the application of logs to musical note frequencies)

Really sad for me since I'm ("was" now) on a very active SLIDE RULE group. Lots of mind numbing hypothetical math implementation problems for SR's, history, questions from noobs, questions and answers about obscure rules, etc. They helped me find my missing SR (well the same company and model anyway) that I lost on a bus in Taiwan in late 1970.

while there is a great Slide Rule Museum site there are no discussions there just lot's of pictures of beautiful SR's, manuals for download, upcoming SR competitions - yes there is an annual SR competition - LOL, history...

https://www.sliderulemuseum.com/

Visit the museum if interested in old stuff that involves actual intelligent thought processes and not mindless key punching with and lots of pics and some of those are part of my Dietzgen collection (I also have a large Pickett, Farber, K&E, Hemmi, Chinese made, and a few others but they aren't posted there)
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Yahoo Groups are closing down - 10/30/19 04:46 PM
I am a member of the The Band-In-A-Box Independent Users Group mailing list. We've been informed that our Yahoo mailing list will continue to operate as it always has, but the on-line archive of files is going to disappear.

I volunteered to host the files from that group on my website. There are .sgu files - songs without melodies made in BiaB by the users. There are quite a few of them.

This mailing list is not very active at times, it goes in spurts. I guess in theory it's nice having a mailing list independent of PG Music, but PG is so open to both praise and criticism, that it really isn't needed for that reason. The user created song files are really the only reason it differs from this forum.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Yahoo Groups are closing down - 10/30/19 10:05 PM
cry Sniff ... (blows nose) ... frown Nobody's even mentioned the +++ Band-in-a-Box UserTracks +++ Yahoo group I started in 2014. (He pouts) tired

Funny but I'm still an active member of five groups and the owner / moderator of one and I haven't received any communication from Yahoo about this. I'm also surprised they don't have any pop-up notification when first accessing a group.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Yahoo Groups are closing down - 10/31/19 07:55 PM
Jim, I didn't mention your group because I didn't know it existed.

If you need somewhere to host the files, contact me.

Notes
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Yahoo Groups are closing down - 11/01/19 10:06 PM
Bob,

I appreciate the offer but there's not that much to archive. Yahoo only provided 100 MB of storage space so just a few files are stored there.

I envisioned the group as a place where users would gather to discuss UserTracks, how to make them and how to effectively use them. The group grew to 95 members since 2014. Unfortunately there haven't been many conversations.

Per Yahoo:
Quote:
all previously posted content on the site will be permanently removed after December 14. Anything you want to keep will need to be downloaded by that date.

+++ HERE +++ is a link to all the files.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Yahoo Groups are closing down - 11/02/19 02:52 PM
Here is a link to a thread on the Music Player Forums about how guys are archiving files and problems etc. It may be useful to others here:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3013773/list-of-archived-yahoo-groups#Post3013773

Bob
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Yahoo Groups are closing down - 11/06/19 10:06 PM
I honestly thought yahoo had already closed down most of their social-related services, except for Tumblr. Which, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Tumblr lasted for much longer. When Yahoo purchased Tumblr a lot of people left because they didn't like the changes that were made. We shall see what happens! Hopefully those here who still used that part of Yahoo will find alternatives!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Yahoo Groups are closing down - 11/07/19 04:16 PM
I never got into Yahoo Groups for my own purposes, but I'm in one with a radio club.....

The word is they are NOT closing down. Just changing a few things.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Yahoo Groups are closing down - 11/07/19 09:55 PM
Here are some highlights from an e-mail I received:

Users will be able to join a Yahoo Group only through an invite from the Group Moderator or by submitting a request to join a Group, which requires approval by the Group Moderator.

Since we are moving Group communication from posting on message boards to email distribution, uploading and hosting of new content will also be disabled on the Yahoo Groups website.

Beginning December 14, 2019:

All Groups will be made private and any content that was previously uploaded via the website will be removed. We believe privacy is critical and made this decision to better align with our overall principles.

If you would like to keep any of the content you’ve posted or stored in the past within your Yahoo Group, please download it by December 14.

Yahoo Groups is not going away - We know that our users are deeply passionate about connecting around shared interests, and we are evolving Groups to better align with how you use it today.

New groups can still be formed - Users can continue to connect with others around their common bonds and interests. From animal rescues to sporting and activity groups, civic organizations to local PTAs, members of our Yahoo Groups will remain connected and able to share their activities and interests. All of the content that you have shared previously on the website, can continue to be shared via email.
© PG Music Forums