PG Music Home
Posted By: edshaw Dilemma naming credits.....w/ real tracks - 11/02/19 08:54 PM
Yeah, I want to give credit to John Jarvis (piano) and Brent Mason (guitar) when I post a song using Bent Piano, a song that includes a guitar track by Ed Shaw. So, I say, Guitar and vocals by Ed Shaw. People hear Brent and say, "That ain't Ed Shaw. That's Brent Mason, famous guitar player. Who's Ed Shaw trying to fool." Or, I go another way and write, "Guitar by Brent Mason." People hear it and say, "That's Brent Mason? I though he played better than that!" Oh, no, that's Ed Shaw, the amateur." See what I mean? Now Brent Mason is ticked.
Now, I know, we don't have to worry about Brent Mason. He's doing fine. He knew what he was getting into. But still, it is the principle and the dilemma. How am I supposed to handle this?
While on this topic, I am amazed at how these Real Tracks seem to adapt to their surroundings. Anyone know how this can be?
I think the general consensus is that it’s preferable not to name the artist. Hardly anybody does. I just say RealTracks and RealDrums with a shoutout to PG Music.

FWIW

Bud
I agree with Bud. In fact there were threads here recently that clarify:

Naming RealTracks Artists policy 1

Naming RealTracks Artists Policy 2
Posted By: edshaw Re: Dilemma naming credits.....w/ real tracks - 11/02/19 09:57 PM
Thank you for that, folks. I'll just cite Real Tracks. That's a relief for me, not having known. smile
If I am sending a BIAB file to my musician friends I will occasionally drop a name like Ron Carter and Louis Nash on them as my sidemen. Otherwise I just say they are real tracks
The truth is those track were originally played by those artist, but they have been sliced and diced up and recreated by the software. So tech nickley it is not them actually playing the track. Or something like that. Now my head hurts!
I go with the majority on that.

I won't even mention they are tracks unless someone asks or is curious. I don't hide it either. For most people it's TMI anyway.

Notes
I don't give HP a credit even though my computer is a critical part of my writing & production process.

I don't give Microsoft a credit even though I use Word for my lyrics.

I don't give Reaper a credit even though it is my DAW.

And I don't give PG a credit even though I used RealTracks.

And no one cares!

It was always a fairly meaningless gesture but even more so today when no one will ever read your credits anyway.
Videotrack gave us the answer. PG Music has provided clear instructions on what it does not want, and what it would appreciate.
The only place I name the players or the tracks is here in the PG forums because it's protocol to do so. Anywhere else .... nope. Just my name as the writer and singer....

I've had very few folks ask the details about my studio band.

When I place the tracks/songs/cues into libraries for commercial use the only thing that matters to the publisher or library is that I retain 100% of the rights to the music and the tracks. They don't require anything other than me signing off as owning the rights.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Dilemma naming credits.....w/ real tracks - 11/05/19 05:41 PM
In Soundcloud I always put "the rest are played by Band-in-a-Box". Hopefully that will make others interested in BiaB.
Originally Posted By: RobH
The truth is those track were originally played by those artist, but they have been sliced and diced up and recreated by the software. So tech nickley it is not them actually playing the track. Or something like that. Now my head hurts!

I think RobH sums up the reality in this statement.
I also believe that the use of "Named" artists by PGM is also a marketing and sales strategy. Yes, these musicians are good and can probably be relied on to turn up and record quickly and efficiently. There are likely many anonymous session musicians out there who could do as good a job, maybe better, in their own style or in the style of a "Named" artist, but due to their anonymity, don't add marketing value.

Each time this question of credits comes up, the old cynic inside asks;
Is this about marketing and sales/inferring a connection with the "Name", or a genuine ethical conundrum?

Vintage
© PG Music Forums