PG Music Home
Posted By: Sundance Soundcloud Upload Limits Not Changing - 12/05/19 06:39 PM
Just got email with blog post. Sounds like they heard us. No changes in upload limits for free accounts.

Upload limits
are not
changing on Monday
For the last 12 years, SoundCloud has been the destination for millions of artists around the world like you to upload, share and find what’s next in music. Our mission is to empower you with the best tools to build and grow your career on your own terms, and to foster a community where creativity can thrive. Earlier this week, we announced our intention to change our upload limit. We’ve spent the last few days since the announcement listening to you, learning from what you’ve said, and reflecting about what makes SoundCloud special as an open platform that helps creators of all types express themselves.

And we heard you. We’ve decided not to roll out the change to our free upload limits, and will continue to refine our balance of free and paid offerings to make the platform as creative and accessible as possible while building a sustainable business.
We’re excited for what’s ahead. We have a strong roadmap of new features, products and updates for you. And we’ll continue to gather support and feedback from you, the community of creators who have helped build SoundCloud into what it is today.

So keep it coming. Tell us what you think, what you want, and what you need. We are here, listening.

I’ve had the paid version from the get go — a lot for a few bucks a month — but I can still appreciate this response to their customers’ outcry. Whatever their motivation this type of response is increasingly rare whether with a big tech company or a local restaurant. Good for them.

Bud
I've had the paid version for the last few years.
They are between a rock and a hard place it seems! They are trying to generate some money so they can stay in business, they almost went under a couple of years ago.
But if they enforce those strict upload limits probably most of the free accounts will leave, there are lots of other places that offer a free platform to upload music to. Not sure what percentage of the accounts are the free ones, but I'll bet it's the vast majority.
Josie,
Thanks for the update!

I like the fact that finally it's HD quality, but that policy pancake flipping thing is a bit childish. Still got room/ time for a few tracks before getting (or not getting) paid account.
Will definitely try reverbnation as a backup.
Hi,

SoundCloud doesn't allow to embed their audio player into a Facebook post, so clicking on the SoundCloud link in Facebook takes you to the SoundCloud artist page which is a distraction.

Are there other popular sound storage sites which allow the direct playing within a Facebook post?

Brian
Posted By: KeithS Re: Soundcloud Upload Limits Not Changing - 12/08/19 03:37 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
They are between a rock and a hard place it seems!

The Internet started off with almost everything being free so a lot of the consumer mentality has failed to shift to keep up with the provider’s need to generate revenue. I was involved over the years with a lot of internet ventures that started off with a core of idealistic people providing the money to get something started, then expanding to a larger group providing support through donations. Things generally fell apart when we reached a point where we had to ask for subscriptions to keep paying for the bandwidth and time commitments.
Originally Posted By: Brian Cadoret
Hi,

SoundCloud doesn't allow to embed their audio player into a Facebook post, so clicking on the SoundCloud link in Facebook takes you to the SoundCloud artist page which is a distraction.

Are there other popular sound storage sites which allow the direct playing within a Facebook post?

Brian

Reverbnation allows that, that is the site I use to post my songs on facebook and the player looks great IMHO.

It's been a long time since I used soundcloud to post a song on facebook, but I thought that worked also? By clicking on the "share" button under the song?

Thanks Dave for reminding me about Reverbnation I will look into it,
as mentioned Soundcloud will not embed a player on FB any more.

Cheers.
© PG Music Forums