PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Australian Wildfires - 01/02/20 08:07 PM
The forum community has several Australian members and we would like to send our very best wishes to them, their families, their friends and all Australian citizens during this time of catastrophic fires. It is difficult to imagine what so many are suffering through. And the scale of it is almost unimaginable.

The strength of so many people and the bravery of the firefighters is remarkable.

So positive thoughts, vibes, prayers and more to you folks.

J&B
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/02/20 08:16 PM
I have a brother-in-law and some friends who live in Australia. One couple I know has lost almost everything. They got out of Mallacoota early so they still have their lives. We're thankful for that.

There are no words to describe the devastation.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/02/20 09:10 PM
Janice and Bud,

Thank you for thinking of us.

Australia is a place where bushfires happen regularly. It's partly because of our gum trees (probably better known as eucalyptus trees). They are flame friendly and, in some cases, fire even helps them regenerate. It's also partly because of our climate. While there have been catastrophes from time to time, we've always managed to cope with this aspect of Australian life.

Now it is different, though. We have never experienced anything like what's happening right at the moment. Fires are raging uncontrollably throughout the country and our scientists are all agreeing that it is a consequence of the changing climate. There are many long term studies to show that this is true.

My home was just on 2-3 kilometres away from a local bushfire a few days ago. We were assigned a "get ready to leave" status but they managed to bring the fire under control and so we didn't have to go in the end. The local temperature that day was just on 43C (110F).

The below map will give some idea as to what's happening.

http://google.org/crisismap/australia

Thank you again,
Noel
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/02/20 09:49 PM
Thanks everyone for you concerns and good wishes.

More catastrophic weather is forecast for the weekend.

The map link below shows the state of Victoria. As can be seen, the entire north-east and eastern part of the state is affected:

Attached File
2020-01-03_11-47-23.jpg  (7 downloads)
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/02/20 10:22 PM
Take care this is devastating to the people and wildlife.
Posted By: Bunyip Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/02/20 10:30 PM
Thanks Janice and Bud, we appreciate your concern.

I have family in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney who are ready to leave if necessary, and family in Canberra where the air pollution has been the worst in the world.

We have had serious long term drought in recent years so we hope for rain. I have never seen bushfires such as these.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/02/20 11:44 PM
I hope that all of my Internet friends, their families, and friends in Australia are safe and sound. You can replace things but not people. Be safe at all costs.
Posted By: lambada Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/03/20 12:28 AM
I've just been holidaying with my son in New Zealand who has returned to Wagga Wagga yesterday. I just rang him from Hong Kong, but they seem ok. The place he just left working is under threat. It's always on your mind. This weekend is expected to be terrible. If they get into the big urban areas like Melbourne, Brisbane or Sydney etc it will be catastrophic. Also the wild life is suffering terribly.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/03/20 03:26 PM
Saw the report on the news last night. Awfully scary stuff going on with this climate - California fires getting worse every year and now down under too. I'm so glad your house made it through Noel. And that everyone responding is safe. I can't imagine trying to live with all that heat, flames and smoke. My husband and I are praying for all of you.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/03/20 04:17 PM
This is horrible.

Aside: As a tennis player, I always wondered why they play the Australian Open in January. Temperatures on court routinely measure 140 degrees. Until they constructed a court with a roof, this made no sense.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/03/20 09:17 PM
I saw a thermal cam of this. Seriously not good. My prayers go to all of you!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/04/20 12:09 AM
I'm glad all the forum members are safe so far. Even so, my understanding is the heat has been scorching for a long time and no break in the temperature is in the forecast. Stress and heat do not mix well. Please stay out of the heat as much as you can. Stay safe.
Posted By: lambada Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/04/20 04:35 AM
My son went outside in Wagga Wagga and said you could feel the heat in the wind. He's a builder, so he's used to being outside, but it was too much for him this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6fTADP_fWM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAlfAXEEQAM
Posted By: lambada Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/04/20 05:04 AM
The Australian Navy rescuing people and their pets. I know how many of us have fury friends. It's estimated that half a billion native animals have been lost so far.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/dozens-of-pets-safely-transported-from-mallacoota-by-the-navy
Posted By: WobblyGstring Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/04/20 05:58 AM
My heart goes out to those affected, I do have ex colleagues in NSW who emigrated there recently from South Africa. Not a very nice welcome i dare say. Nature is a fickle thing indeed
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/04/20 07:16 AM
It's really scary here at the moment. Western Sydney had the highest temperature on the the planet today - 49.8 degrees C, that's about 121 F. The air here is almost unbreathable, and we're about 40kms from the big fires.
My sister-in-law is in the middle of it, and has been evacuated, but I think her home is still standing, we'll know tomorrow for sure.

Noel, Trev and other Aussies - stay safe, and lend a thought to the wonderful firefighters - mostly volunteers - who are saving our lives and property.

Heroes don't always wear capes.

PS - helluva way to spend Saturday night
Posted By: PeterF Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/04/20 10:33 PM
Much cooler today & a few showers forecast for the Victoria and NSW South Coast.
Hard to describe how unpleasant the weather has been here.
Amazing job done by volunteer firefighters in extreme heat many of whom were at risk of losing there homes.
Hope all Australians on forum remain safe.

Peter
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/04/20 10:49 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I hope that all of my Internet friends, their families, and friends in Australia are safe and sound. You can replace things but not people. Be safe at all costs.

Mario summed up my feelings exactly.

Stay safe, dear friends!
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/04/20 10:55 PM
Why oh why during crises, can other countries in war time get together, But Now in peacetime in the events happening in Australia can we not amalgamate and have air /sea land, military resources.
From a load of countries in the world , !! because we all care. I'm reading .. its your PM not calling it in, but IF I'm CORRECT ..WHY NOT , THE WILDLIFE, THE HOMES ,the people !!!.

Its supposed to be Christmas/ new year .

What is the Problem.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/04/20 11:09 PM
Beatmaster,

All terrain firefighters (hotshots) from multiple countries and continents are working along side Australian firefighters to contain the fires. The Australian military is providing logistical support to the firefighters and disaster relief to the general population.

Using untrained military would be unwise and dangerous. The fires are unpredictable and have unique challenges that can quickly overcome someone that is not trained how to handle the situation.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/04/20 11:43 PM
Dear friend, Isla Grant, sings this for our dear Ozzie friends. She'll be touring Oz in 2021. I hope you will all go to see her.

https://youtu.be/hYAOhfn0YXE
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/05/20 10:40 AM
Thanks heaps everyone for thinking about us. It really does mean a lot.

Right now in my home state alone, we have over 30,000 volunteer firefighters who have been battling fires for around 2-3 months in addition to recent military help and firefighters coming in from Canada, the US and New Zealand to help. The amount of good will and people-helping-people that abounds throughout so many communities is enormous.

• For example... one of our comediennes, Celeste Barber, has raised over $25,000,000 for bushfire help in just three days.

You might not have heard this below song, in this version The Seekers (whom many of you will know) are singing. For me, this song embodies what I think of as the Australian spirit. And its at times like what we're now experiencing that it's good to be reminded of that spirit.

DIRECT LINK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL_JvhfQjms

To all my fellow Aussies on these forums, I sincerely hope that this piece of music brings some comfort and makes you feel proud when you think of ordinary people from all walks of life doing extraordinary things right now. As I read somewhere the other day, not all superheroes wear capes.

Thanks again everyone.
Noel
Posted By: lambada Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/05/20 11:19 AM
Lovely songs, Don and Noel.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/05/20 12:45 PM
Tiz said that the Aussies were here in force to help fight the recent fires in California. Many "Bushies" came at their own expense. Hundreds of Canadians came in busloads to help us.

It is such things that restore my faith in humanity.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/05/20 04:19 PM
I MIGHT BE ABLE TO ARRANGE A STAGE pass for a small group.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/07/20 03:31 AM
In case anyone is interested in the scale of events here in Australia at the moment, here's a map of Australia with all the fires that are presently burning included. I don't know how the map was created but it appeared in one our newspapers today.

This map of Australia is superimposed over a map of the USA and the lower section of Canada so that an understanding of magnitude is possible. Everything is a 1:1 scale.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture Bushfires in australia compared to size of USA.png
Posted By: Teunis Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/07/20 04:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
In case anyone is interested in the scale of events here in Australia at the moment, here's a map of Australia with all the fires that are presently burning included. I don't know how the map was created but it appeared in one our newspapers today.

This map of Australia is superimposed over a map of the USA and the lower section of Canada so that an understanding of magnitude is possible. Everything is a 1:1 scale.

Regards,
Noel

And missing most of Tasmania (but most Taswegians are used to that.)

Make sure you see Noels map.

Tony
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Australian Wildfires - 01/07/20 01:04 PM
Originally Posted By: lambada
Lovely songs, Don and Noel.

Another beautiful playlist by Isla Grant:

https://youtu.be/3IpGtumjCII?list=RDFn96mxnpA3Q
© PG Music Forums