PG Music Home
Posted By: Don Gaynor Your thoughts please? - 01/15/20 04:13 PM
Have ALL acoustic instruments already been invented?

I ponder this frequently and invite your thoughts.
Posted By: Teunis Re: Your thoughts please? - 01/15/20 06:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor

Somewhere, someone will find a need for a squeak, squawk, honk, rattle or thump and design an instrument around it. In Australia for example is the “Lagerphone” seen as a requirement in Bush music. The Largerphone is basically a pole with a heap of bottle tops that makes a rattle when shaken, a thump when banged on the floor. When used with a bow (a piece of wood with notches in it one can achieve a roll similar to a drum roll).

One well known Aussie bush artist made his living using an empty beer carton to provide his backing and preferred that to a band for support.

Yep I think there will be more to come.

Tony
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Your thoughts please? - 01/15/20 07:07 PM
You wonderful Ozzies already have the didgeridoo ( didjeridu ). Either spelling is acceptable per my 'bushie' thesaurus.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Your thoughts please? - 01/15/20 07:49 PM
Hang drum is relatively new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk3BvNLeNgw

one more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgnpv2zCaLM
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Your thoughts please? - 01/15/20 08:16 PM
HI all

Yes and lets not forget the “Happy drum” (Hapi-Drum) already invented I know but what a gem.
Usually made from old gas cylinders with a laser saw for cutting the tongues.
As they can be pentatonic scaled this means you can’t play a bad sounding note.
And it is a pleasant sound, if you have not met one try this link and you can play one on your pc.
You will need to explore the side menu for different scales pentatonic etc

http://www.hapitones.com/play-the-hapi-drum-online.html

Have fun
Mike
Posted By: silvertones Re: Your thoughts please? - 01/15/20 08:20 PM
Actually no.What makes each instrument different is the timber.Timber is the ratio of even harmonics to odd harmonics. Numbers are infinite. So are timbers, so are instruments.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Your thoughts please? - 01/15/20 08:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor

Don,

No doubt there will be an almost endless supply of acoustic instruments that will be created. I'll be surprised if any of them ever rival an acoustic guitar, mandolin, fiddle family, banjo or piano.

Just this old curmudgeons opinion.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Your thoughts please? - 01/15/20 08:30 PM
That I agre with. Long time no see Bob
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Your thoughts please? - 01/15/20 08:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97f_Fpu_kR0&list=RD97f_Fpu_kR0&start_radio=1&t=0

Here ya go!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Your thoughts please? - 01/15/20 09:29 PM
Some very interesting and clever instruments.

Thanks for 'chiming' in.

The theremin always intrigued me which is heard on many Sci-Fi and horror movies and old radio shows.

How far out does the human ara reach? Interesting thought.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Your thoughts please? - 01/16/20 11:06 AM
"Everything that can be invented has been invented." - Charles H. Duell, 1899

I'd personally argue that the answer to this question is no - there is always new instruments waiting to be invented. I do think right now though, due to technological advancements, the focus for most people is rather on synthesizers and recording techniques. I kind of hope a new acoustic instrument sees the light of day though - I think it'd be a much needed breath of fresh air for modern music.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Your thoughts please? - 01/16/20 09:04 PM
Yes and no.

There are only so many ways to activate an instrument so in manner of thinking there can't be a new instrument unless there is a new way to activate it. Think about how symphonic instruments are arranged: wind, string, percussion and so forth. Limit instruments to how they are activated and chances are slim a new acoustic instrument will come along.

However, look at symphonic instruments closer. Brass and wind instruments activate by blowing air but one group of instruments is made of metal materials while another instrument group is made of natural material.

If you look at it the second way there will always be opportunities for the invention of new acoustic instruments because mankind has imagination.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Your thoughts please? - 01/18/20 02:46 PM
I made a Timbre Gate Circuit that could replicate many different instruments.
Posted By: methodman Re: Your thoughts please? - 01/19/20 02:08 PM
I think Omnisphere is an example. They have sampled? but is that the same interest level say John Cage playing, I think he built an acoustic instrument out of a cactus. If we had that as a sample, or Diego in Omnisphere playing a thumb piano or a gourd instrument. Which the actual textures of playing ( I hate to say it) are divorced from just a sample. While we can utter a nonsensical cool, with no heritage behind it. musical instruments have heritages that can be studied. Unfortunately the books like 25 acoustic instruments that can be made are out of print. Complete DX7 ii again out of print kind of make this discussion out of bounds for the average know nothings about psycho-acoustic heritage. The copyright laws are designed to keep University and Trend setting books, away from the hands of most of the public. With the no nothing religious zealots claiming that no conversations exist where there are many. It's just not making it out to the mass public. There is so much exciting stuff going on in the University and College worlds but the no nothing pastors aren't showing any curiosity in so many interesting topics to share off their pulpits for discovery that they really need to be rejected and shunned. I'm sorry but the pastorocracy is neglecting so many legitimate topics that I kicked any of their influence out of my life and not only have become a better person having done so, but also a far more curious person.
© PG Music Forums