PG Music Home
This post is for those who DO NOT have any Steinberg Halion, Doric, Cubase or any other Steinberg programs with HALion sound content installed AND who also want a FREE good sounding GM sound set and player: THIS IS a 64-bit VSTi so you will need JBridge (or alternative) to use in Realband or the 32-bit version of BIAB.

If these, or similar instructions of how to get free HALion Sonic SE AND a free HAlion GM sound set to use in HALion Sonic SE then my apologies to whomever previously explained “how to" (starting from having zero Steinberg Halion sound content)

Enough ON TO THE FREE stuff - it is a multi-step process you will need to set up Steinberg account and install the FREE HAlion Sonic SE note it comes with no SOUNDS (yet)

https://www.steinberg.net/en/landing_pages/halion_sonic_se_3/halion_sonic_se_free.html

Then as Bob (aka jaamammal) recently points out in this thread:

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=576766&Searchpage=1&Main=81228&Words=halion+sonic&Search=true#Post576766

https://new.steinberg.net/dorico/se/

Get the FREE Doric SE Notation program but MAINLY because comes with free Halion sounds that include the Steinberg Halion GM soundset. You can now use the standalone Halion Sonic SE with the GM soundset and the few other sounds that came with Doric SE or the 64-bit Halion VSTi (.dll and VST3) with 64-bit BIAB and 64-bit DAWs respectively (or as noted above if you have JBridge - its only $10, you can use with 32-bit Realband)

I just tested this all on a virgin laptop, well virgin with respect to zero Steinberg software installed.

Final note for BIAB use you may have to search for the “Halion Sonic SE.dll” it may not be in your default 64-bit plugins folder(s) (mine ended up in my Cakewalk VSTplugins folder for some reason).

Good Luck
Larry

Great solution for anyone who hasn't already tried Halion as default synth in biab, in my opinion the best sounding synth I have ever got.

When you load halion you do have to go into options then program changes and set it to Gereral midi.

Great workaround Larry.
My experience is that BIAB remembers the GM setting for Halion Sonic (so you can set it as your default GM synth and forget about it), but RealBand does not (I have to set it every session).

That being said, I like the sounds of Halion Sonic GM set better than many of the others. Since I have three computers, I generally keep two of them set to the TTS-1, rather than the Halion, since I have to move the dongle to use Halion on any of the other computers.
I use it in Biab , my experience is it sometimes stays on GM setting not always.

I have used ..Hardware .. a ketron sd 1000, roland jv 2080, roland sonic cell, and now a new addition roland bk-7 module.

The
Halion sonic se 3 Basic one that I have, gives them all a good run for the money close to any other Gm software I have tried, although not as good as the hardware I compered with above.
thanks for the heads up halion works great in biab gm mode instruments eric
I can't get them to send me an email. Strange situation. I have an account etc.
just a suggestion - check email spam box?

I just set up dummy email and new Steinberg account today - and they are slow today - I still haven't got link with lic code for HS SE (yet) either

EDIT UPDATE

Still waiting for it to show up in my new dummy hotmail account but it did show up in my new dummy gmail account BUT it was routed to the default gmail Promotions folder

Good luck
I went ahead and bought SpectraLayers 6 since it didn't require the dongle, just the software eLicenser. My PC just doesn't do well with dongles, but has no problems with software authorizations.

Sounds good (pun intended), but I'll pass.
Just to be clear there is no dongle needed with Sonic or Halion - they do use a software elicenser however.
Great tip, but don't try this on a mac, it won't work.
One persistent issue with Halion that I was not able to solve, is use it in two programs simultaneously. Even if it is not opened.
Meaning... If I have Cakewalk opened (which access Stainberg elicenser on start) and try to open BIAB...BIAB would cough and give error or shut down. Or if I have BIAB opened with Sonic as default synth and try to open Cakewalk, Cakewalk would freeze or spit our POS error.

I wrote to Steinberg explaining this, they issued me a second license for the e licenser, but that didn't solve it. Contacted them today, will see what they say.

I wonder if it is a machine "specific" issue? Have anybody here with Sonic had what I described above?
I played Halion Sonic 3 simultaneously in Reaper, Biab, and Studio one. It works well.
Originally Posted By: Svenne

A revised thread from almost two years ago. Could you add a little to your experience, why it doesn't work? This can help to resolve for future versions if needed.
MoultiPass,
I have a PC...If you do too, can you verify two things for me please!

Open BIAB and launch Sonic VST and open a standalone Sonic 3 from desktop. If you are able to do so, what is the version (built) of your Sonic 3?

This is a single negative issue I have with Sonic, as I constantly have to be aware if it is loaded or not, as two instances in different programs ran simultaneously usually crash or freeze a program which is opened second/last.
On PC too. Never had your problem.
2 Sonic at the same time 1 in Biab and 1 by Nanohost. But I could also have others at the same time: Reaper, Live, Studio one ....

Attached picture Sans titre.png
Attached picture Capture d’écran 2021-12-21 133659.png
MoultiPass,
Thank you for checking!

Wow, this is very strange. Got the same version.
Not sure why you used Nanohost... Sonic 3 has its own standalone version, but I did try it your way, using Nanohost. Same issue, would not open in two locations.

MoultiPass, final question please. What is the version of your e-licenser? Mine is 6.12.8.2300
I assume you use e-licenser, not USB dongle, right?

Thank you in advance!!

P.S. I got more help here than from official Steinberg rep or their dedicated Halion forum. LOL!

Attached picture sonicbiab.jpg
I don’t have this software, but is there any executable that you could Run as Administrator? If so, could that explain the different results?
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Originally Posted By: Svenne

A revised thread from almost two years ago. Could you add a little to your experience, why it doesn't work? This can help to resolve for future versions if needed.

I Installed Halion Sonic+Dorico (both free). Halion's AU+VST's weren't regonized by BIAB, Logic or any other DAW (non-Steinberg) on my system.
Matt,
Brilliant, It worked! I always run BIAB as administrator., but Cakewalk and standalone were not set to run as admin.
Thank you!!!
Side note... Sonic is the only plugin I have that would not allow two instances without admin rights.
--------

Svenne,
you installed e-licenser and registered Sonic in it right?
Good News !
Misha, I get one right once in awhile.
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Matt,
Brilliant, It worked! I always run BIAB as administrator., but Cakewalk and standalone were not set to run as admin.
Thank you!!!
Side note... Sonic is the only plugin I have that would not allow two instances without admin rights.
--------

Svenne,
Matt,
Thank you!!!
--------
I
Svenne,

I did,-Halion +dorico works fine as standalone, and Halion loads the dorico sound library
Svenne,
I am not a Mac person, perhaps somebody can help you who owns Mac+Sonic.

Just a thought... In BIAB can you locate the actual plugin file in Preferences MIDI in the folder it was installed to? Can you chose it manually?
Svenne,
I am not a Mac person, perhaps somebody can help you who owns Mac+Sonic.

Just a thought... In BIAB can you locate the actual plugin file in Preferences MIDI in the folder it was installed to? Can you chose it manually?

Yes-in library-audio- plugins
Can you choose it as a "default" synth in BIAB? And try pressing "default synth" button?
Just trying to help...

My problem (not running as administrator) sometimes had issue of "releasing" standalone. Meaning if a standalone was opened and then closed, BIAB would still give error. But with Matt help, this is in the past.

C'mon nice Mac people, help smile
C'mon nice Mac people, help smile

Also, to the O/P: Svenne, did you post this issue in the Mac section of the forum? It may get better attention there also.
works fine in RB - on some songs nicer than the TTS1. but RB forgets GM mode and if it wasn't for one of the posts above i would not have gone into 'options/program change/GM and i wouldn't have got it to work

but agree with one of the posts abovce, installing and activating steinberg programs is like crawling through broken glass
But once you do... crawl that passage, it is stable as Tower of Pisa.
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
works fine in RB - on some songs nicer than the TTS1. but RB forgets GM mode and if it wasn't for one of the posts above i would not have gone into 'options/program change/GM and i wouldn't have got it to work

but agree with one of the posts abovce, installing and activating steinberg programs is like crawling through broken glass

I have seen this question before,RB should remember to load Halion as default synth with GM (though Halion takes longer to load when you start RB) if you go through the following steps.

1 right click on track

Attached picture halion 1.jpg
Attached picture halion 2.jpg
thanks musiclover - will try!
smile
What musiclover posted is correct. That was confirmed to me by Jeff Yankauer. Go into Halion Sonic, make the settings for GM mode, then click on "Save Default DXi Synths". RB will keep the setting and Halion starts in GM Mode between sessions. However, if you choose something else as default and later go back to Halìon, you'll have to repeat the process of setting GM Mode and saving default settings again. Not elegant, but it's how it works.
Thanks John for asking Jeff that, as it had been bothering me for a while too.
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
This post is for those who DO NOT have any Steinberg Halion, Doric, Cubase or any other Steinberg programs with HALion sound content installed AND who also want a FREE good sounding GM sound set and player: THIS IS a 64-bit VSTi so you will need JBridge (or alternative) to use in Realband or the 32-bit version of BIAB.

If these, or similar instructions of how to get free HALion Sonic SE AND a free HAlion GM sound set to use in HALion Sonic SE then my apologies to whomever previously explained “how to" (starting from having zero Steinberg Halion sound content)

Enough ON TO THE FREE stuff - it is a multi-step process you will need to set up Steinberg account and install the FREE HAlion Sonic SE note it comes with no SOUNDS (yet)

https://www.steinberg.net/en/landing_pages/halion_sonic_se_3/halion_sonic_se_free.html

Then as Bob (aka jaamammal) recently points out in this thread:

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=576766&Searchpage=1&Main=81228&Words=halion+sonic&Search=true#Post576766

https://new.steinberg.net/dorico/se/

Get the FREE Doric SE Notation program but MAINLY because comes with free Halion sounds that include the Steinberg Halion GM soundset. You can now use the standalone Halion Sonic SE with the GM soundset and the few other sounds that came with Doric SE or the 64-bit Halion VSTi (.dll and VST3) with 64-bit BIAB and 64-bit DAWs respectively (or as noted above if you have JBridge - its only $10, you can use with 32-bit Realband)

I just tested this all on a virgin laptop, well virgin with respect to zero Steinberg software installed.

Final note for BIAB use you may have to search for the “Halion Sonic SE.dll” it may not be in your default 64-bit plugins folder(s) (mine ended up in my Cakewalk VSTplugins folder for some reason).

Good Luck
Larry

Wow, so I went through the process of getting Dorico, and Halion installed, activated and all that stuff you have to do through their download manager. I changed the mode to GM. Tried to open a MIDI file to play it within Halion, and nothing is happening, what did I miss?
i bet its something simple. have you set the midi drivers in BIAB as it shows on page 8 of the 2022 manual? especially is 'use the vst/dxi synth' box ticked? halion should show in the drop down menu?

are you using BIAB or RB to play the file?
I was actually just trying to use Halion to play the MIDI file directly. At the top of Halion, it has a little player, where you can load a midi file and play it (see my screenshot attached)

Description: midi file player in halion
Attached picture Capture.JPG
Later on, I opened it, and it said license missing! I'm trying to remove everything and start over; what a nightmare this licensing/download assistance is, Is there a prescribed set of instructions for doing this?
Ok disregard previous posts, I got it working, here's how for anyone else:

1) Install the Download Assistant
2) Then Dorico 4 SE
3) Then Halion Sonic SE
From the manual:

Quote:

Support for 64-bit VST Plugins using jBridge
You can use your 64-bit VST plugins and VSTi instruments with Band-in-a-Box, using jBridge. Since Band-in-a-Box has built-in support for jBridge, you just use your plugins as you normally would, by selecting 32- or 64-bit plugins within Band-in-a-Box. (Note: jBridge is a third-party product.)

To use 64-bit plugins with Band-in-a-Box, you:

- Get and install jBridge,
- Select and use your 64- or 32-bit plugins within Band-in-a-Box, without any further setup or configuration!

The original poster said:

Quote:
THIS IS a 64-bit VSTi so you will need JBridge (or alternative) to use in Realband or the 32-bit version of BIAB.

So I'm a little confused. If I'm running the 64bit version of BIAB, do I need JBridge? The poster indicates that I Don't, but the manual says "to use 64 bit plugins with band in a box..."
You do not need any "bridges" if you are running 64bit BIAB. Plug and play.
Make sure it is VST2, Not VST3. I do not believe BIAB supports VST3.
© PG Music Forums