PG Music Home
My beautiful wife of 59 years, Joanne, had a stroke yesterday and was rushed to Hillcrest Hospital in Tulsa. Prayers and positive thoughts are requested. I don't know what I would do without her! My daughter and son-in-law stayed with her through the night but found complications of a urinary tract infection that is weakening her whole immune system.
Don, I hope that she has a speedy recovery. Stay strong and be optimistic.
So sorry Don. Prayers her way a d yours.
Good buddy, you know that you and her are in our prayers.
I'm sorry to hear this. These things can turn around for the better in many people. I am focusing positive thoughts your way. Be well, my friend.

Moo
My prayers are with you, Donny!
I hope Joanne recovers quickly and completely.

Bob
She had an MRI today and protested every inch of the way so she is better. lol

She has garbled speech but, thanks to prompt action on the part of our daughter and son-in-law, they think she'll recover in time with some speech therapy. Let's hope. She has a beautiful singing voice.

Attention everyone: If you suspect CVA ( Stroke ) get immediate medical attention to prevent permanent damage. Immediate medical attention can halt and even reverse brain damage. I missed that "window" so my damage is irreversible now.
Prayers for you, your wife and your whole family, Don.

...Deb
Sending positive thoughts to you all, Donny.
You know we love ya Brother, I will certainly remember you and Joanne in our prayers.
Don,
Very sad to hears that news. Sending out prayers and positive thoughts.
Prayers offered for you, your wife and family.
The little Norwegian girl that I've loved for nearly 60 years. I think that you'll agree, she's very beautiful and she chose me!

Attached picture 37327786_10212669244552365_692239107664904192_n.jpg
A beautiful lady in more ways than one.
Prayers for you and your family.

-rob
Very sad to hear, Don. Sending you both positive thoughts and prayers.
You and your wife have my thoughts and I’ll include you in my prayers. You sir have given many thoughts and prayers to others and I love and respect that.

Living in a retirement village I often come across these issues.

Hope things work out fine.

Tony
Don, my thoughts are with you and your wife. I'm hoping that everything good will come your and your wife's way.

All the best,
Noel
Wonderful update:

Daughter Kelly just called after talking to the medical staff about her mom, with great news, the doctors think that with OT/PT she will recover completely!

Her MRI was not very encouraging but I have more hope now. Joanne is joking about her slurred speech with the staff and family/friends so I am elated.

Thanks to all of you wonderful folks for keeping my light of hope burning brightly. I love you all.

Attached picture 37327786_10212669244552365_692239107664904192_n.jpg
Originally Posted By: Teunis
You and your wife have my thoughts and I’ll include you in my prayers. You sir have given many thoughts and prayers to others and I love and respect that.

Living in a retirement village I often come across these issues.

Hope things work out fine.

Tony

I may be wrong to have developed this attitude but I no longer strive to draw close to neighbors in my nursing home because we are all in here to die and it is too painful to make then lose friends every day. I still record my music for them, however.
Peter,

Your loving concern is most gratifying.

I only regret not being fluent in doctor-speak because then you would be able to ease my mind.

The first reports stated that Joanne's frontal lobe was scared and marked as a white Peacock plume ( my interpretation, not the Radiologists ). While today's report says that with PT and OT she can recover completely. It's unfair to expect you to guess or assume but is the scaring insignificant? Not something I need to worry about?

Also, I want to thank you for awarding me a new copy of your fabulous software. Callie is checking which version I have. If it is a duplicate, then I will have her ship it to Tommy Emmanuel or Isla Grant.

I regret not hoping to ever meet you in person. I would consider that a great honor indeed.

Don Gaynor
That means so much to both of us, Rob! Thanks ever so much.
Don, I was sorry to hear the news but the prognosis is sounding good! Continued thoughts and prayers for you family.
My brother suffered a traumatic brain injury from Carbon Monoxide about 5 years ago. He ended up in 5 different hospitals before landing an a brain injury institute. Cost was a bit over half million dollars.

The thing we discovered is the brain has a miraculous way of healing itself. David is still able to live on his own. (The biggest problem is the damage to his lungs. He is on several different medications for that.)

The prognosis on your wife sounds promising and the brain will heal itself to the best of its ability.

...Deb
Originally Posted By: DSM
My brother suffered a traumatic brain injury from Carbon Monoxide about 5 years ago. He ended up in 5 different hospitals before landing an a brain injury institute. Cost was a bit over half million dollars.

The thing we discovered is the brain has a miraculous way of healing itself. David is still able to live on his own. (The biggest problem is the damage to his lungs. He is on several different medications for that.)

The prognosis on your wife sounds promising and the brain will heal itself to the best of its ability.

...Deb

Thanks for that, Deb.

With my daughter's help, Joanne phoned me today but sounded drunk or drugged and confused. It was so good to at least hear her voice. Apparently she had forgotten that I'm mute because she kept wanting me to speak saying: "Are you there?"

As an agoraphobic, she's opening up to family, friends, and hospital staff. In fact, she's a bit of a celebrity there. She deserves every bit of pampering she's getting.

She gets everyone, including herself, laughing over her slurred speech.

I'm so happy for her progress in just one day.

Don, tell you wonderful wife that you have a friend who after a few Budweisers talks just like her grin grin grin grin

Seriously I glad that her prognosis is looking good. You both are in our prayers.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Don, tell you wonderful wife that you have a friend who after a few Budweisers talks just like her grin grin grin grin

Seriously I glad that her prognosis is looking good. You both are in our prayers.

Better yet, pack Linda up and come tell her yourself!
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Better yet, pack Linda up and come tell her yourself!

Actually good buddy I hope to get to see you this spring. No promises but it is looking good right now!
I'd love to see you both. Will you play for us, dear friend? Please plan an hour show in that case. Seriously. Maybe others will join us.

It's too soon to expect Joanne Cooper again but wouldn't that just knot your knickers?!
Danny Campo's Linda will double as your GPS, and cheap!
Don, sorry to hear about your wife's stroke. Please keep us posted concerning her recovery. Praying for her complete recovery....

Kajun Jeaux
I am not sure what medications she is on but, yes, she may have all those symptoms. Oh, if she wears glasses, please get them to her. My brother got a lot better once he used his glasses. wink

As the doctors said to me, be patient, it will get better.

It did.

...Deb
Hi Don sorry to hear this news about Joanne praying speedy recovery and good and accurate Medical attention in reading theres some good news as well that's encouraging I will keep praying eric
Best wishes to you Donny, and for your wife to have a speedy recovery.
Top o the marnin t'ya, ML.

Joanne is still resting after a hectic day of being tested, poked, and prodded yesterday.

Thanks so much for caring.
Originally Posted By: DSM
I am not sure what medications she is on but, yes, she may have all those symptoms. Oh, if she wears glasses, please get them to her. My brother got a lot better once he used his glasses. wink

As the doctors said to me, be patient, it will get better.

It did.

...Deb

Deb,

Joanne's vision has deteriorated badly as a consequence of diabetes. Tests today found very little peripheral vision ( to the side ) so I am shopping for a tablet computer while she still can see the screen.
We wish her the very, very best Don.
We've had too many family and friends suffer from this
over the past couple of years and we have some
understanding of what it's like.

Your experiences and your remarkably positive attitude
are, we're sure, be a huge help in her recovery!

J&B
J&B, Thanks for your continued support as I face the most difficult time in my life.

Joanne's only request was "that I continue to make happy music to share with other patients in my nursing home."

Being of Norwegian descent and formerly an excellent dancer, I'm working on "Norwegian Waltz" for her today.

I'm sure that she'd love to hear Janice sing something in a similar vein if you don't mind. That would really lift her spirits.

Since she was weaned on hunkavar ( accordion ) music, I'll ask Graham Wilson to dedicate a tune for her as well.
Others are warmly invited to contribute their music also.

Thanks.
God's blessing to you both.

My brother's sight wasn't that good to begin with - childhood issues. Well, after the CO accident, the nurses gave his glasses to a friend for safe keeping. So, what he wasn't seeing because of the accident was compounded by lack of glasses.

The tablet computer should help!

...Deb
Today's progress report is very encouraging.

Her manual dexterity has returned from zero yesterday to the point where she can cap and uncap her own water bottles and her vision has totally cleared to a point better than before her stroke and her peripheral vision has returned to normal. I had the same visual reaction after my stroke- from needing glasses to discarding them.

Seeing her struggle to say "I love you!" into Kelly's camera yesterday simply tore my heart out. I look for a complete recovery soon.

Thanks for your emotional support during my worst trials of my life. You folks are 'top shelf' and I will never forget the kindness shown to Joanne. We still have an uphill battle with speech, physical, and occupational therapies but she is a strong-willed little lady. I'm confident that when her head clears that she will put her all into her full recovery. She's made amazing steps in just two days.
Donny,
No doubt she will continue to make bigger, even more amazing steps.

There's a lot of people here watching out for her.

Trev
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Donny,
No doubt she will continue to make bigger, even more amazing steps.

There's a lot of people here watching out for her.

Trev

Trev,

Where could I ever find a more loving "family" than this wonderful group? They have/keep me sobbing unashamedly.

A mutual friend and fellow BIABer, Graham Wilson,from Scotland is recording a Waltz for Joanne because she was/is a marvelous ballroom-style dancer. Just maybe she will dance again soon.

I went to bed extremely depressed yesterday after watching a vid clip of Joanne trying to say "I love you!" to the camera. Boy, was that ever difficult to watch. Today was so much clearer and she made perfect sense although still badly slurred.

She's being scheduled for speech, occupational, and physical therapies in the same, highly-respected hospital so she'll be in there for several weeks yet.

If you have a tune or two to brighten her life, I would love for it/them.

Your friend,

Don
UPDATE: Yesterday, Joanne couldn't recognize her phone. Today Kelly pointed to it on her bed then asked: "Mom, do you know what this is?" Joanne answered: "It's your cell phone, silly!"
So sorry to hear about the wife's stroke Buddy but very optimistic to also hear the positive prognosis. Best to both you and your bride my friend.

Sincerely,
Thanks for that, my friend.

Mario is planning a visit in the Spring. Please consider coming and keep everyone on topic. Maybe this time you and Linda will meet Joanne.

She's being transferred to a Rehabilitation Center near the hotel where you kids stayed last time.

She still has a long road ahead to full recovery and knowing that you are coming for her benefit would give her something positive to dwell on.

I know that her and your lovely bride would get along famously.
A beautiful Bavarian Waltz. Get your lederhosen on.

Bad link but this one actually works. Sorry:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqhcfl9hanrar4u/for%20Joanne.mp4?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR3GZXBOHb-7QObkI6F6OtJwBQ28M5OK4BwDcqLfn0y5teZiFrxTznOm8gY

The doctor signing her transfer to the Rehabilitation Center made a notation that Joanne actually had nine strokes so she's a living miracle. I could have told them that.
Don,

I apologize for coming late to this thread. It seems that somehow I overlooked it.

It is heart warming to read Joanne is improving and will be transferred to a rehabilitation hospital. I greatly admire your positive outlook and how eager you are to help others.

It is also outstanding that your and Joanne's marriage has lasted so long.

Please keep providing updates as you can. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, Joanne and to the rest of your family.
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Don,

I apologize for coming late to this thread. It seems that somehow I overlooked it.

It is heart warming to read Joanne is improving and will be transferred to a rehabilitation hospital. I greatly admire your positive outlook and how eager you are to help others.

It is also outstanding that your and Joanne's marriage has lasted so long.

Please keep providing updates as you can. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, Joanne and to the rest of your family.

No problem, Jim.

My daughter just emailed to say that Joanne can't remember how to read or tell time but doctors are saying that it is only temporary.

Michael from Bavaria sent her well-wishes and this lovely Bavarian Waltz.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbox.com%2Fs%2Frqhcfl9hanrar4u%2Ffor%2520Joanne.mp4%3Fdl%3D0%26fbclid%3DIwAR1RS7nMiT7JREWrzwboZfm8LlNejfJ8A16WNuu5ZCMol1G1Sg8mp3GZ9N0&h=AT2mV9T7dwVr5jEfglBmzbHGXBC_y57h9ZPX-KLlFii6uU0GySVzmsUoxYByVwVBXWMb4p1mmn_SeaLl0f8Ovrf1O8RIiMbV5U2Fn2RVaUviBI2_JgNga8S77Vl2fFgY66lb89vsPSzyU93gOkE

Don
UPDATE TODAY:

Joanne can no longer read or tell time but her doctors assure us that it's only temporary.

She's being transferred to a great rehabilitation center at 1 pm today.

Thanks to everyone for your loving support shown to Joanne and me.
It will get better.

BTW, something only slightly on topic. I had a neighbor who immigrated from Scotland in 1917 at the age of 18.

Years later she had a stoke.

Before the stroke, she and an American-Scottish accent. After the stroke, her Scottish came back. The American went away. She was the talk of the doctors.

The brain heals in miraculous ways.

...Deb
I'm sorry to report that Joanne no longer recognizes my singing voice. I pray that she recovers such precious memories.

Thanks for all the loving support and encouragement that my forum friends have shown.
Hopefully that memory will return.

Prayers for both of you from here.
Don, I’m very sorry to hear that Joanne has reached that stage. I have seen many folks about the retirement village where I live go through similar. It is never easy and often gets tougher. Hang in there and know the past was really great and love is still in there.

I think of you.

Tony
Originally Posted By: Teunis
Don, I’m very sorry to hear that Joanne has reached that stage. I have seen many folks about the retirement village where I live go through similar. It is never easy and often gets tougher. Hang in there and know the past was really great and love is still in there.

I think of you.

Tony

More recent development of about an hour ago: Reported by our daughter Kelly who is with her mom:

“I’ve going to learn things over again again”

You can see why I love that little girl!
Don, that in itself is encouraging. To realise and accept you need to learn again is a good thing from my understanding.

It is not fun this nursing home type atmosphere. My youngest brother has been in a nursing home for sometime now. He is much younger than all around him. He is mentally fully there, better than most but physically not even capable of speaking on a phone, or dialing a number. He cannot cut nor properly chew food. It is sad to watch. He will slowly shut down with no way to get better. He is amazingly upbeat for someone in that situation. Anyway enough of my worries.

Look after Joanne with love.

Tony
Yesterday, Joanne's speech was nearly back to normal. You would have to know her personally to detect any slurring.

I wrote Joanne's personal history in an attempt to jog her memories and she remembered everything up to the day of her massive stroke. Her doctors are amazed at her recovery and I am very relieved.

I may even be taken to visit her soon. Color me elated.
A sensational update, Donny.

Yes, 'elated' fits the bill.
Trevor,

As always, thanks for your continued encouragement and support.

More encouraging news today: Several years ago, Joanne fell from a horse and landed directly on her tailbone crushing several discs that required morphine ( Oramorph ) to relieve her constant high-level pain. Her new doctors got her completely free of narcotics and she feels a lot better as a result.
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Yesterday, Joanne's speech was nearly back to normal. You would have to know her personally to detect any slurring.

I wrote Joanne's personal history in an attempt to jog her memories and she remembered everything up to the day of her massive stroke. Her doctors are amazed at her recovery and I am very relieved.

I may even be taken to visit her soon. Color me elated.

Hooray!!!

I'm happy for you both.

Bob
Great news!!!!

...Deb
Great news Don. Thinking of you both.

Tony
Such good news, Donny!
That is good news. I thought narcotics increase the risk of stroke. Great to get off them.
I'm getting used to heartbreak - today, Joanne doesn't recognize our daughter but she clutches the mp3 player of me singing. Dr. says fading in/out is normal.
I hope the general progress is in the positive direction and the setbacks become fewer and milder as time goes on.

Bob
I appreciate your situation, I had a stroke and had minor setback from it, my thoughts and prayers are with your wife and I wish her a speedy recovery. Thanks for sharing your grief with us to make us aware of the delicate life is. Keep playing music at the nursing home, as the residents appreciate your talent. Love to you and your wife.
Joanne has been released from the Rehabilitation Center and is living with our daughter and son-in-law near me. She's a little disoriented in her new unfamiliar surroundings but still making phenomenal progress toward her recovery.

We love everyone here on these forums for your wonderful encouragement and support.
Good buddy, that is super good news!
Fantastic update, Donny.
No doubt she will continue to improve.
Excellent news.
Hooray!!!

I hope she continues to rebound until she is 100% back to normal.

Bob
Great news!

...Deb
Great to hear Don.
© PG Music Forums