PG Music Home
Posted By: Frank Alves Church Music in a COVID-19 World - 03/28/20 02:17 PM
Like many churches, our spiritual center here in Southern California has gone virtual. We've chosen to produce a 30 minute service that is then posted on our YouTube channel and Facebook page on Sundays. As music director I've been assisting from my home. I've created short instrumental pieces using BIAB that are used as background music for the meditation/prayer portion of the service. We are also using songs from our house band's CD. Finally I've been sending BIAB backing tracks of our congregational songs to a couple of our singers, who then record their vocals and send back to me. Then I move the full tracks into Real Band where I do some volume balancing and add effects. The final track is then sent to one of our members whose in charge of the production. She uses a video program to create video content to go with the music.

Thank you PG music for your products!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Church Music in a COVID-19 World - 03/28/20 03:30 PM
Very creative, Frank.

My wife is the music director for two small churches and I direct the instrumental ensemble at special services. I assume you have experimented with Zoom or equivalent, and found the latency impossible to overcome?
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Church Music in a COVID-19 World - 03/28/20 03:40 PM
You might want to make a video about how you're using it and post it the to PG testimonials.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Church Music in a COVID-19 World - 03/28/20 04:31 PM
Bob,

That is a great idea. I hope Frank will consider implementing your idea.

Matt,

Real time jamming and recording over the internet has been a difficult idea to implement, particularly in this time of trouble. According to AT&T's +++ AT&T Covid-19 Response +++ webpage, compared to 30 days ago internet traffic is up more than 30% as people work from home, students go to virtual school and people spend more time online.

Several startups have tried and failed to implement real time collaboration online. I don't know of a successful program but there might be one out there waiting to be discovered.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Church Music in a COVID-19 World - 03/28/20 04:34 PM
Jim, I think just from the physics of it, the task is impossible with anything close to our present technology. But I thought I would ask. I worked with the very first modems, 300 baud attached to the cup of a phone (a real phone), so who knows.

Frank has a great workaround.
© PG Music Forums